Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: nighthawks  (Read 5114 times)
jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones

utrinque paratus , Gwell angau na Chywilydd

« on: December 30, 2015, 10:03:23 PM »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/nighthawks-tracking-the-criminals-plundering-ancient-sites-with-the-latest-equipment-a6789921.html

the mighty xp Deus
JBM

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 10:17:48 PM »

A very interesting read thanks for posting. ☺ Jerry.
Amadeus
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 09:13:22 AM »

The article is quite interesting. The part in comments where the chap was found guilty of finding a gold roman coin and selling it on, is unclear to me. The council claimed that since the coin was found on a public footpath, it belonged to them. I have always believed that any finds of this nature belongs neither to the finder nor the landowner but to the crown and must be reported either to TT or PAS to be claimed as such or not, with the item either returned to finder or reward offered. The deal with landowner is between finder and landowner.
My own dealings with landowners is such that items up to a certain cash value are retained by me, anything over this is 50/50.
Right now, I am of the opinion that the council is wrong, the judge who found him guilty could be wrong or the writer is not telling the whole story.
Any thoughts on the matter that might enlighten me.

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 01:19:26 PM »

Hi Amadeus a single coin doesn't constitute treasure under the 1997 act (Two or more coins from the same find provided they are at least 300 years old when found and contain 10 per cent gold or silver) and so is like all other finds the property of the landowner, now I presume that he was detecting without permission or even if he had permission he didn't report the find the the council (landowner) who were the rightful owners of the coin and would thus constitute as theft Wink
150aceboy
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 12:38:15 AM »

Very interesting mate, thanks for posting  Wink
Amadeus
Rally attendee

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 01:39:57 AM »

Hi Amadeus a single coin doesn't constitute treasure under the 1997 act (Two or more coins from the same find provided they are at least 300 years old when found and contain 10 per cent gold or silver) and so is like all other finds the property of the landowner, now I presume that he was detecting without permission or even if he had permission he didn't report the find the the council (landowner) who were the rightful owners of the coin and would thus constitute as theft Wink

Thanks, cleared it up for me.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 04:19:25 PM »

Of course there have been exceptions.  I noted this travesty of justice because it was close to where I lived.  Even if her story was confused and she did ignore a letter from the Coroner how can one coin be treasure ??

http://medieval-history.hi7.co/woman-loses-her-medieval-coin-after-being-convicted-of-not-reporting-the-treasure-5642a9d7c58f8.html

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 04:46:27 PM »

It wasn't a coin in the true sense of the word and so fell under the title of artefact  Undecided
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 11:49:46 PM »

Rather like a coin weight then Geoff ?  I s'pose that explains the action taken.  Still think it was a bit harsh. 

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 12:25:38 AM »

I agree Val on the face of it it does seem a bit draconian but I get the feeling there is more to the story than we're being told Undecided

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal