Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Garrett Ace 250 Metal Detector  (Read 14616 times)
Terry81
Rally attendee

« on: December 28, 2015, 06:59:38 PM »

Hello every one, just wanted some advice, as i have never been metal detecting, but it has been something that has fascinated me for years. i have been looking at many videos on the subject and the name that keeps popping up is Garrett. so my question is. is the Garrett Ace 250 Metal Detector any good for beginners or are there betters ones for around the same price range,

if possible could some one that  has used this list the pros and cons to this machine,

thanks in advance
roaljodaka
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 07:46:04 PM »

Hi terry, yes cracking little machine for a newbie, just check out youtube for hints and tips on using it, heres a start, click the link and happy hunting fella  Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Fd_XFQzrc
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 08:00:31 PM »

Hi ya Terry,well it's the machine i started out with and its one i wish I had never got rid of,I should have kept it as a standby machine,its just a great all-round machine, its great on dry beach sand,but not so good on wet sand.
It's a very robust detector,and in actual fact it sought out a hammered coin on pasture land at a depth of over seven inches...!!
It's also found me a lot of artifacts!!
As for any negatives, well it would be the "dingdong, dingdong" everytime you hit a target, but you do eventually get used to it !!!
Hope this helps,great hunting 👍

« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 09:41:13 PM by dingdong » Logged
wittsy1

Where am I?

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 06:02:52 AM »

Hello Terry, same as dingdong, my first machine as a beginner and can't fault it. I quite liked the ding dongs dingdong.
wagis
NWDD Member

gravity always gets me down

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 09:56:43 AM »

Hi Terry as the others have said it is a great machine especially for the price, I started out with one and found hammered's and all sorts with it. As already mentioned I to found it not so good on wet sand but then I don't bother with beaches as I prefer fields. You won't go far wrong with one.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 03:14:24 PM »

Although Ive detected for 30 odd years I've never had a Garrett, that said I know enough to say it is an excellent beginners machine, and I'm sure many experianced detectorists still use this tried and tested machine, with great find rates. Just look at the replies you have already had...best of luck. Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 03:52:08 PM »

Amen Bro,
                     I used the big brother to the 250, the EuroAce, and found loads of of stuff including two hammerds. My buddy started with the 150 and also found himself plenty of coins. As said above, look up the 250 on youtube and watch it in action.

Good luck with you final decision and happy hunting.  Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 07:46:48 PM »

One of our Scottish members found the hoard of gold Torques with a Garrett 250 on his first outing. 
Another good thing about them is they don't drop too much on price if you want to upgrade later.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 10:49:59 PM »

They are not heavy on the arm either.  Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
jammiedigger

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 01:19:18 AM »

if you do go for the ace 250 and want to detect on wet sand try jewellery mode and between 6 bars of discrimination I find that did the trick for me. and if you want to use it in the water use jewellery mode and 4 bar discrimination.

Enjoy the fields with packed grounds
2 treasure cases 16:33/18:09
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 05:53:45 PM »

Hey Jamiidigger, had I known about those settings I wouldn't have got rid of my great ACE 250!!!😤😁👍
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 09:00:38 PM »

And I am glad that the EuroAce is still with me!  Wink

With those settings, what sort of depth would one get on wet sand?

jammiedigger

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 11:23:48 PM »

you can still get some good stuff at 6". for a Garrett 250 on wet sand you can't complain. you do need to eliminate iron and foil which means you will likely miss small gold rings. I found these settings on a youtube video around 2 years ago and that's what I use 

Enjoy the fields with packed grounds
2 treasure cases 16:33/18:09
Terry81
Rally attendee

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 05:11:31 PM »

Well it was short lived, my lovely wife brought me that 250 for my birthday, to which before she could say your welcome i was already out the door and in the car with my new toy, spent about 2-3 hours just getting use to it ( in a field owned by a family friend), went lunch time crept up on me so placed my detector in the boot of my car and went for some lunch, only gone about an hour or so, only to come back to the back window of my car smashed in and everything that was in the boot, tools, detector, and also some loose change in the ash try oh and the old horse shoe i found, thieving scum bags,
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 06:03:31 PM »

Bloody hell Terry 81,that's dreadful news,I know its no compensation but I don't know how I would react if it should ever happen to me,I suppose I would be totally gutted !!!
Do you think you will be able to claim through your car insurance ?I don't know but it might be worth a try,obviously you will be claiming for the replacement of the broken window(S)
Where abouts Geographically do you live?Were you in a monitored car park.
You must report it to the police,and when you do,ask if there are any other similar car breakins reported .
Once again,very,very,sorry to hear such bad news.....what sort of a world do we now live in ?after all,in certain countries, perpetrators guilty of theft get their filthy despicable hands cut off !!!😬

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal