Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is a Garrett at pro any good on the beach  (Read 7477 times)
1988.williams
Rally attendee

« on: December 20, 2015, 11:52:05 PM »

I am thinking about getting a Garrett at pro are they good on wet sand thanks
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 05:47:25 PM »

Hi buddy,simple answer is.....NO !!🎅🎅 merry Xmas🎄🎄 !!
1988.williams
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 07:24:42 PM »

Hi I have Hurd they are every good
Greg

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 07:50:12 PM »

I have had one for about 9 months and it works fine, some people only dig the high numbers but you need to be careful, I have found a hammered at 39-40. The big advantage of the machine is the iron audio feature, it gives you a rattle noise over ferrous objects, it will give good high readings 80+ on horse shoes, washers and metal plates if they are laying flat, but if you listen carefully you will hear cracks and snaps, you will know what it is when you have dug a few. I would not say it is the deepest machine, I have pulled coins out at 8 to 9 inches.
Another tip is too ground balance it, say every half hour, I have found different fields on the same farm can alter the reading. You can also change frequency for overhead lines although I have never found them a problem. It's also totally waterproof, except for earphones so you can be out in all weathers in a hoodie with confidence.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 10:41:09 PM »

Beach Greg Beach!!
The AT is a great machine and like other garrets punches above it's weight but isn't a  beach machine Cry Yes you can use it on the wet sand and turn thing down but you won't be punching anywhere near as deeply as a Minelab BBS or FBS that's not slating the AT as no current single frequency machine does Wink
1988.williams
Rally attendee

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 12:48:26 AM »

I was thinking about getting a minelab Safari would that be better on the beaches it my first detector. So the at pro will be ok for my first
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 09:34:17 AM »

I had a Safari and can honestly say they are excellent on any part of the beach.  A big BUT though. For a relative beginner it may be a bit too much machine.
They are multi tone and take quite a while to get used to.  I've seen a few give up out of sheer frustration. A test run with one would be a good idea if you can find some one who owns one.
On the other hand, until you get used to it there is an easy way to use it.  All metal, no discrimination.  Would mean a lot of digging but you wouldn't miss any thing.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones

utrinque paratus , Gwell angau na Chywilydd

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 10:27:12 AM »

hi williams where about are you i got a safari i would be willing for you to try , i am in the rhondda

the mighty xp Deus
The Ferret

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 09:28:04 PM »

Love the AT Pro great on land and beach wet or dry Smiley

Last week on weston beach ...
Just cleaned it up  Wink Its 9ct with Diamonds and Rubies

It's new home  B-)

Day before at Berrow beach.

Nice 9ct gold and Diamond rig and about £4 in spends  =D>

TF
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 09:30:03 PM by The Ferret » Logged

Greg

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 10:33:34 PM »

I agree Ferret, did not want to start a war with the Naysayers.
I have used my AT pro on all parts of the beach, even up to the top of my Welles. I alter the sensitivity as I have to on land, but too no great extent, it picks up lead weights and coins with no difficulty, the iron audio saves a lot of digging (unless looking for iron artefacts). I have no hesitation in recommending this detector to novice  (standard mode) or expert (Pro mode).
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 11:25:35 PM »

Hope I don't upset the apple cart Ferret but unless your camera/phone has funny colour balance those stones are Amethysts.
Lovely find though.  Wish my local beach was that productive.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 03:56:40 PM »

Of course any Garret will find the occasional stuff on the beach even in wet sand, but if you want to become a serious beach searcher especially trying to locate and get to the black sand then it has to be a Minelab  Wink always has and probably always will be. My mate tried various Garrets for the beach...but every trip I whooped him on the BLING and depth. Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 04:36:51 PM »

I upgraded from a Garrett EuroAce to a MineLab Safari, due to the difficulty using the EuroAce on wet sand. Always had to reduce the sensitivity and consequently suffered loss of depth on the wet stuff. The EuroAce served me well inland and on the dry sand and I have kept it as a backup machine, should I ever be without the Safari.

For the first couple of months the Safari drove me batty and I fealt like chucking it in a pond, but I'm slowly coming to grips with it's little foibles. With the Safari I can now move from dry sand to wet and back again without any major problems of loss of depth.

As someone has already said, the Safari may not be the best machine to start off with. Having said that; others may beg to differ.

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 06:36:42 PM »

Yes I beg to differ Grin Grin If your knew to detecting then any machine will need some degree of learning and as FBS is unlike any other type then why learn twice? detecting isn't rocket science  so all machines can only be learnt by experience so learning on an FBS may take longer than on an Ace 150 but less than learning them both Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal