Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A spot of bad planning  (Read 3819 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: December 29, 2015, 07:41:36 PM »

With the promise of a dry day yesterday, I motored down to Talacre to catch the dawn's early light. The tide was already at the low water mark as I arrived and the clouds in the grey sky were blushing pink with the first rays of sunlight. I quickly sorted out my kit and took a short cut through the dunes. Some of the pathways looked more like flooded ditches than paths, but I just skirted around them and made my way onto the beach.

With just enough light to detect by, I headed for an area were I had previously found a silver and amber ladies ring. Working back and fro, I kept the new coil as close to the sand as possible and consistently swung the Safari as slow as I could. "Not a peep"; the area was as silent as the grave. Strange, not even a bit of shrapnel or a WWII projectile. With the Safari on all metals, cross saved to coin and relic, and sensitivity on auto, the darned machine sounded like it was in sleep  mode and gently snoring.

Having covered a good area and being convinced that that Safari was in fact working ok, I moved on to an other area where I had previously found a large pewter spoon. After a couple of .303 projectiles and a .303 brass cartridge case I got a high note and a figure of 39 on the Safari and out pops a 50cal brass case. I was just starting to investigate an other 39 signal when I got my left boot stuck in the mud and struggled to balance and as I did so I lifted my head and suddenly saw that the tide had well turned and sea water was rushing along a gully close bye.

Pursued by the incoming tide I detected my way back to the dunes knowing full well that I was being pushed into an area that is highly contaminated with WWII scrap. Added to the scrap was a very high tide that came within two yard of the base of the dunes. During the course of the morning the beach had slowly filled with dog walkers and people just enjoying the fresh air, but there wasn't much room for us all on two yards of beach. And why do bloody dogs always want to help us dig?

Next time I will stick to my old habits and follow the tide out, before allowing it to chase me back up the beach.

As for finds, mostly the same old same old, plus a 60A fuse, a couple of coins, and the business end of a lead oil paints tube. With a little better planning, perhaps I will have more luck next time. I think that I must be addicted to the place.  Roll Eyes

* Takacre 28 12 2015.jpg (133.39 KB, 412x573 - viewed 473 times.)

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 05:39:43 PM »

Nice bit of reading Chris,and good efforts on going out,as for the finds,well it shows that your r2d2 is still working well.
All the best for 2016,best regards,Chris👍😁
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 07:18:11 PM »

Reading that Chris I thought you were going to say you'd got stuck and the tide had caught you up. Glad it didn't though..
Storms do funny things to  beaches.  Just when you think the conditions should be right, they're not and then you go  another day and find deep depressions.
Anyway at least you had some finds. A good test for the new coil. Well done on making the effort.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 08:25:18 PM »

Thanks for looking folks. Here is one of the scrappy bits from Monday. Initially I thought that it was one of the usual brass hinges that I tend to find at Talacre but on cleaning it up, I think that it appears to be some form of brass catch plate. Any ideas what it may be? Could it be a catch plate off a belt buckle?  Undecided

* Item X.jpg (132.52 KB, 396x560 - viewed 939 times.)

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Richie sixpence

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 05:02:45 PM »

Well done Chris I must admit you have great determination but do watch that tide I would not like to see you in an article of the Daily Post well at least not having got into difficulty with the tide  Wink, on the the other hand I would love to see you in a different article perhaps finding the hidden treasure of Talacre  Grin.
All the very best for 2016 to you and your family Chris hope to catch up with you in 2016  Wink.

All the very best Richie sixpence  Smiley

All the best Richie sixpence Wink

"All that glitters is not gold" but hopefully!!!
Garrett AT Pro
C Scope CS4pi
Garrett Ace 150
Garrett Pro Pointer
And hopefully a lot of good luck
Member of, NCMD
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 09:34:20 AM »

Happy New Year Richie.

dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 10:32:14 PM »

good effort an cool write up,keep at it Wink

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal