Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: question about insurance  (Read 12696 times)
David.JJ
Rally attendee

« on: December 12, 2015, 08:26:47 PM »

I have my own insurance cover for shooting and recreational activities on farmland. would my personal insutance be accepted if i attend a rally with this forum?
i ask this question because i have been invited as a guest on a club rally being done by the celtic searchers from llanelly who my friend is a member of and they are willing to accept my insurance but my friend has advised me to get fid or ncmd which are accepted by all detecting clubs.
Which insurance company does this forum recommend or would my personal cover be ok?
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 12:40:54 AM »

fid or ncmd cover is recomended as cover for metal detecting and can be obtained online easily at a very reasonable yearly price

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones

utrinque paratus , Gwell angau na Chywilydd

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 06:28:59 AM »

for £10 a year i wouldn't take a chance with other insurance and if your an O.A.P £8 per year  Cheesy
http://fid.newbury.net/html/memlet.htm

the mighty xp Deus
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 07:21:51 AM »

for £10 a year i wouldn't take a chance with other insurance and if your an O.A.P £8 per year  Cheesy
http://fid.newbury.net/html/memlet.htm
[/color]

This is not the current address for the FID CS, Unfortunately Colin died and now Richard Evans runs the new FID.CS

http://www.fid.org.uk/

Hope this helps.

If you want an alternative look up NCMD who also provide cover for metal detecting.

As chairman of a small detecting club in Brecon I doubt I would be comfortable if detectorists started providing alternative polices .
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 08:35:57 AM »

Although no fan of the NCMD their insurance/membership is slightly better value in what you get, the insurance is public liability not personal anybody who has a mortgage probably has this but a rally would never get under way if the organisers had to pour over insurance policies Grin Ironically if you follow the various codes of conduct regarding closing gates, filling holes and taking rubbish home the chances of an accident happening are so minute as to not be worth considering and if it can be proved, and therefore blamed, that an accident is a result of ignoring the above then you won't be covered anyway  Wink
outlaw

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 08:51:27 AM »

So from reading your post are you stating in reality, both these avenues of metal detecting insurance do not cover you in the event of a landowner making a claim against someone carrying out detecting on there land HuhHuh?

As that is how I read your post, which although the odds of a claim being instigated is as you state minimal, it could happen ! Shocked

I will also add as an edit, I have never ever heard of anyone actually making a claim  Cheesy

It would also be very interesting and informative for these insurance policy organisations to comment on your post.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 08:58:11 AM by outlaw » Logged
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 09:11:52 AM »

No I've never heard of a claim either and in almost 40 years I've never been asked about insurance though I always have it. As for cover it does deal with metal detecting but it's difficult to envisage the circumstances that an accident has happened when you have followed the "rules" and many of the scenarios you can think of are covered by the "Act of God" clause personally I think the cover is more a comfort blanket rather than of any use but as many of us know Embarrassed insurance is always a waste of money until the day you need it.
As for needing it for rallies this is even more random as how the hell you can apportion blame to one person as a result of a rally of say 100 people beats me Wink
outlaw

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 09:25:04 AM »

I have to go out to work and will comment later.

I find that post extremely worrying. Lax to approach any farmer/ landowner and claim everyone attending is covered by an appropriate insurance when in fact  any organisation setting up rallies by your statement do not really know or are they checking attendee's.

I would hope fid / ncmd and will certainly contact them for assurances that their polices do cover me and my members of our club for the hobby. Roll Eyes
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 10:14:33 AM »

They may well know who is attending and have checked their insurance but lets look at a theoretical scenario...... A rally is held where everybody attending has insurance, two weeks later the farmers prize bull manages to break its leg in a hole that's obviously been dug and has to be shot or an expensive racehorse cuts its frog on a sharp piece of old iron left next to a filled hole and bleeds to death the farmer now contacts the organiser and the organiser does what Huh how can they say who dug the holes?
Public liability insurance does cover negligence but if it can be proved that it was "criminal negligence" or "criminal damage" then your on your own Undecided If you have dug a hole then dutifully filled it in only for those pesky rabbits to come along and pull the plug out, which they have a nasty habit of doing around here, then you're covered but short of strapping bunny in to a chair and interrogating him I'm not sure how you'd prove it Grin
IFINDNOTHING

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 02:23:40 PM »

I think the most valuable part of insurance is when looking for land to detect on, Show the farmer your NCMD/FID card and this will totally change his/her view, as far as they are concerned it changes you from a nighthawk to a responsible detectorist. give it a try next time!

Quote "Don't ever give up hope, there's something out there, all you have to do is hold on and believe" Axl Rose-1988
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 04:03:54 PM »

Surely NCMD & FID would have a clause somewhere in the small print that says they cover Rallies providing all attending have their insurance.

Which raises a small point.  Who is supposed to check cards on DW Rallies.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
david995

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 05:45:17 PM »

val i think i'm correct in saying insurance is recomended not manditory

last year i raised the question of insurance on here for metal detecting and was roundly shot down , but i will repeat what i was told by one of the 2 companys usually mentioned,  when i asked it what would be covered ? the person said after i pressed a bit  "virtually nothing" , i also had a lawyer friend take a quick look and it is worthless , the lloyds syndicates  call this kind of policy easy money ie no risk they will never pay anything out

now it could be said that for a tenner its worth having anyway can't argue with that , but you may as well just chuck that tenner in the fire

I am sure i will be shot down again,  so i will leave it at that ,but  might be worth asking the question how much in claims they have actually paid out,  if its above 0  i will be very surprised , you could argue yes but one day it might but dont hold your breath

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
outlaw

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 06:05:20 PM »

In all the rallies I have attended to date across the uk since 2004,  I cannot ever remember being asked to show proof of insurance  Huh
I think the most valuable part of insurance is when looking for land to detect on, Show the farmer your NCMD/FID card and this will totally change his/her view ]as far as they are concerned it changes you from a nighthawk to a responsible detectorist. give it a try next time!end of Quote.

I would have thought the most valuable part of having a detecting insurance is that it covers you from all outcomes that might occur whilst out detecting, it may well help a land owner to decide whether he wants he or she detecting on  land. Night/day hawking is a criminal act and has nothing to do with the original thread ! I would advise everyone to show insurance proof when trying to obtain permission.

After reading Chef's last reply I can quite understand the logics of his point of view. It may well end up that in future all organisers of rallies will need a blanket insurance. I will however out of curiosity contact both Fidcs and Ncmd for them to explain the extent of cover. Wink

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 06:06:05 PM »

here's the link to last years thread ... but i can't see any evidence of being shot down !!

http://www.detectingwales.com/index.php?topic=22930.msg209493#msg209493

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
outlaw

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 06:30:45 PM »

Well apologies to be like a dog with a bone  Grin

But but, just read the link to the previous thread thank you Alan.

Perhaps showing your insurance to a land owner is misleading if it doesnt benefit him just the detectorist.  Roll Eyes

And to presume the landowner has cover for detectorists maybe presumptious !

This is an interesting thread and should be discussed with insurance companies so that the issue of who can claim what is resolved. Huh

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal