Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1,700 year old Roman gold ring with portrait of Cupid is found in garden  (Read 3392 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: November 25, 2015, 11:34:12 AM »

By Cheyenne Macdonald

An amateur metal detectorist in the UK has made an extraordinary find - a gold-carved ring depicting a nude portrait of Cupid, god of erotic love.

The ring contains a dark onyx and blue engraved nicolo stone and may once have rested on the finger of a man or woman during the reign of the Roman Empire.

Cupid is also known by his Greek name, Eros, and can be identified in the 1,700-year-old engraving by his short wings.

He is shown leaning naked against a spiral column, legs crossed and carrying a torch in one hand

Discovered near the village of Tangley, the ring is now in the hands of the Hampshire Museums Service and will be put on display at the Andover Museum.

CUPID, SON OF VENUS

Tales of Cupid date back to the second century AD, and tell of his sexual adventures.

Cupid was commonly naked, to the distaste of his mother, Venus, and was often pictured holding a torch or a bow and arrow.

A story by Apuleius tells of Cupid and his love interest, Psyche, who is deemed unworthy by Venus.

Artistic depictions of the lovers can be seen dating back 2,500 years.

During the Renaissance, Cupid morphed into the cherub-like image that is widely known today.
Images of the god were popular among the Greeks and Romans, and this particular design is characteristic of the fourth century A.D.

The ring was discovered in 2013 and turned in to the Portable Antiquities Scheme, an organisation that was established in 1997 to facilitate reports of artefact discoveries by amateur metal detectorists.

While amateurs are allowed to search for antiques with metal detectors, so long as they remain outside of protected areas, it is required that certain finds be reported to the antiquities authorities.

Writings about Cupid dating back to the second century A.D. and describe him as mischievously seductive, wielding torches, a quiver, a bow and arrows.

He was commonly naked, and any woman pricked by his arrow would fall deeply in love with him.

The story by Apuleius tells of Cupid's love interest, Psyche, who is human and becomes impregnated by the god.

Images of the god were popular among the Greeks and Romans, and this particular design is characteristic of the fourth century AD. The ring was discovered in 2013 and turned in to the Portable Antiquities Scheme, an organisation established in 1997 to facilitate reports of artefact discoveries by amateur metal detectorists

Rejected by Cupid's mother, Venus, Psyche takes on impossible tasks to eventually be made immortal.
Artistic depictions of the lovers can be seen dating back 2,500 years.

* 2EC5663C00000578-0-image-a-24_1448400781161.jpg (70.53 KB, 634x593 - viewed 464 times.)

* 2EC5664000000578-0-image-a-25_1448400791429.jpg (117.41 KB, 634x943 - viewed 489 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
wagis
NWDD Member

gravity always gets me down

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 02:28:07 PM »

Fantastic story and a brilliant ring, but whoever Cheyenne Macdonald is I take umbrage to the comment "While amateurs are allowed to search for antiques with metal detectors". Yes some of us are amateurs but a lot are very knowledgeable people and very committed to detecting, I also find the word allowed demeaning as well in this statement.
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 01:49:21 AM »

What a little beauty. The engraving of Cupid looks like it may have been modelled on Geoff having a fag break during a rally Roll Eyes

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 03:28:55 AM »

Looking more closely at the Cupid I think Geoff would take it as a compliment  Roll Eyes

What a fantastic find. I am surprised at the poor standard of work on the gold though. They could have learned a bit from the Saxons in that department.

Thanks for posting Neil.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 02:58:10 AM »

Val I obviously didn't look as closely as you did  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 05:38:46 PM »

At the risk of repeating myself "such a big fuss over such a little thing !!....LOL😰

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal