Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: new racer v used explorer ?  (Read 19649 times)
raistlain

« on: November 08, 2015, 02:22:50 PM »

what do you reckon ....a new macro racer or a used minelab explorer .....also if explorer what one xs or se or is there no difference Huh?
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 02:46:47 PM »

You can't really compare them as they have different systems and have their own strengths and weaknesses though the Explorers have far more pluses than minuses and if you could have both it would be a good system but if only one then it has to be the Explorer, as to which one it comes down a lot to personal preference I use the original XS as I can't fault it but others favour the II which is slightly more user friendly and others the SE which reverted slightly to a more aggressive set-up but with the improved tones of the Etrac then there is the Etrac itself which is even more user friendly and adaptable.
raistlain

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 02:52:41 PM »

there's a lot more to all this than I realised I never realised there was different operating systems etc ....the reason I said the racer was I rang a dealer to see about buying a used explorer on Friday and he said why not buy a new racer instead as there far better and the explorer had gone
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 03:16:14 PM »

well your doing alright with that prizm Grin

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 03:54:11 PM »

Well the reason he told you they're better is because the Explorer was gone lol, don't get me wrong the racer is a lovely little machine and if you've never had an Explorer then you aren't going to miss it. If I were on 75% arable land then I would probably choose the Racer but if 75% pasture and some beaches then it has to be an Explorer Wink
SMELLYJELLY
Rally attendee

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 04:15:14 PM »

Explorer se all the way and stick a 13" ultimate on it and bobs your uncle. You will get sick of digging iron with the racer. A lot more to learn with the explorer but once there then you won't regret. Get it from a dealer as you will have 3-6 months warranty. All the best. Sj
deusdoes
Rally attendee

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 07:04:36 PM »

Minelab fbs great on the beach that is a fact . But in land on small targets such as small thin hammered not so good  and small gold chains you can forget it  Huh (even the ACE 250 picks those up). Yes you can dig iron with the Racer but as with any detector the tones are far more important than  screen ID.  I dig very little iron with the  Makro racer. The minelab is made for the USA market for relic hunting and coin shooting in the park not that its a bad machine infact was a very good detector around 15 years ago. They still sell them in Etrac and safari today but very overpriced new. In my view to heavy and slow , but that's just my opinion  Huh There will alway be die hard detectorists with brand loyalty to the Minelab , i was one then i seen the light . The Deus suits my detecting style but some people detect slower so then a minelab would be more suitable to them . After all we are all different and like different things so we choose accordingly to are style and needs Undecided

23 silvers
15 Romans
5 hammered (1 gold)
3 Roman brooches
8 spindle whorls
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 07:15:11 PM »

They were only released 16 years ago lol
SMELLYJELLY
Rally attendee

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 08:12:54 PM »

Totally agree but with the minelabs you get the screen I'd and the tones and it was only last week I was digging a Lizzie 3p hammered at 7" with a belter of a signal and never dig iron but admittedly that's after a lot of practice and swearing and eventually gd old andI sabisch . will speak to you again in 6 months to see how it's going  Wink I've gone through many brands from the bliss with no screen , an excellent machine for depth ,whites, garret, Nokta forse cor and the racer. I even took the makro and explorer out together and found the racer was missing loads .. So inland explorer hands down. That's not from a die hard just an honest opinion. Sj
raistlain

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 08:21:58 PM »

well your doing alright with that prizm Grin

to be honest I probably am ...but since I've been on this site and read a few of the forum posts there's a line that's stuck in my head and it said....I'm doing OK with my starter machine  but can't help wondering what I'm missing that a more advanced machine might find.....ha ha I keep having one of them ...the grass is always greener moments....although the prizm was on loan he has told me to keep it as he will never use it  Smiley
SMELLYJELLY
Rally attendee

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 08:32:36 PM »

You know what, that's spot on. I found a gold ring within a month with my ace 250 so payed for itself. I also had my first and earliest hammered and also my Bronze Age axe head at 14" . I researched for ages and then I upgraded from ace 250 as I also thought targets were being missed.. All the best. Sj.
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 08:46:28 PM »

Hemmm!it's always going to be difficult !! Because so many factors  come into play,coil size,dryness/wetness of the soil and what you actually walk over and detect during the time you own the detector,I often think that we pitch our detectors on the success or not of the detector we owned at the time, and the intrinsic value of what is found ! Well you know,to be quite honest I still have a great respect for the very basic Garrett ACE 250,well I found hammered coins with it.!!
Just my thoughts !!👍
raistlain

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 09:09:27 PM »

Hemmm!it's always going to be difficult !! Because so many factors  come into play,coil size,dryness/wetness of the soil and what you actually walk over and detect during the time you own the detector,I often think that we pitch our detectors on the success or not of the detector we owned at the time, and the intrinsic value of what is found ! Well you know,to be quite honest I still have a great respect for the very basic Garrett ACE 250,well I found hammered coins with it.!!
Just my thoughts !!👍

yes sorry I should of said....I live on the Llyn Peninsular so surrounded by beach and also hills and grazing land not much ploughing here
bodybuilder27
Rally attendee

Equinox

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 01:01:53 PM »

Racer 2 all the way....Blows everything in and around the same price bracket away!

And on the beach, wet or dry, black sand and underwater it is fantastic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPC61KTvkoA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY6R0SQ3Aac

Matt
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 02:50:31 PM »

I still say that the Macro RACER (red) fitted out with a MARS "TIGER" coil is probably the best detector out there at the price.... Wink....good hunting to you all ..👍

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal