Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying Used  (Read 6968 times)
raistlain

« on: October 30, 2015, 01:42:45 PM »

What sort of things should I be looking out for when buying a second hand Detector are there any hints/tips about buying a used machine ?....any advice appreciated
JBM

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 03:05:06 PM »

No 1. The source of supply as many have had their fingers burnt.

I know dealers machines are more expensive than private purchases, but at least a used machine will have some kind of warranty.

A quality used detector will hold its price should you choose to sell it later on, but a new ones are rather like buying a new car once you have left the forecourt they drop in value immediately.

We all have our favourite dealers and if you PM me I will give you the one that I have used for generations.

Its a very exciting time buying the first machine after having read all the internet sites for advice from the old hands. Wink Smiley Jerry.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 03:07:22 PM by JBM » Logged
raistlain

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 06:55:21 PM »

No 1. The source of supply as many have had their fingers burnt.

I know dealers machines are more expensive than private purchases, but at least a used machine will have some kind of warranty.

A quality used detector will hold its price should you choose to sell it later on, but a new ones are rather like buying a new car once you have left the forecourt they drop in value immediately.

We all have our favourite dealers and if you PM me I will give you the one that I have used for generations.

Its a very exciting time buying the first machine after having read all the internet sites for advice from the old hands. Wink Smiley Jerry.

thanks I have a £500 budget and my first instinct was to buy new but the general advice so far has been to buy a used model as I wouldn't get much new for £500 ...what's pm and how do I do it ?

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 07:16:29 PM »

No secrets here I would suggest either Detecnicks...
http://www.detecnicks.co.uk/2nd_hand_Metal_Detectors.html
or Staffs
http://www.staffsmetaldetectors.co.uk/secondhand1.htm
but all retailers have to give a 6 month guarantee by law and they all live on their reputation so you should be safe enough, I've also bought privately and, fingers crossed, I've never had a problem though you do hear some horror stories, each and every model has its own quirks and so there is no universal faults to watch out for but if you see any of interest then just ask and we can give you ideas on common faults on that machine Wink
raistlain

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 07:29:16 PM »

thanks kind sir I will have a look now...... was reading you post on headphones earlier and tested the theory with some new Sony phones I had been using the past wk with my borrowed prizm 4 and suddenly realised the background noise was horrendous so will be going back to the old garret set I was lent with the detector these are all things a newbie like myself would never think of but can make a huge difference
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 09:49:56 PM »

I have had 3 used detectors from Kevin at Staffs Detectors and I can't fault him for accurate description, price and service, he also gives a very good price on part exchange as well.

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 10:12:23 PM »

I had a prizm 4.......great little machine.......found loads Wink

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
raistlain

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 10:49:54 PM »

its only on loan and id rather return it sooner than later due the fact im so clumsy im bound to break it ive already stood on it in the excitement of finding an ancient Egyptian ring pull ha ha
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 10:50:32 PM »

Grin Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 05:54:30 PM »

Yes,couldn't agree more with Dryland, Staffordshire metal detectors,great company to deal with,
I have had several detectors from Kevin,and he has always given me a fair price on trade  ins etc,and all the goods that I have bought /exchanged have always been as described,give him a try, and i can say with total confidence,you won't be disappointed,good hunting,👍
Bling (mark)

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 09:29:59 PM »

Staffordshire detectors  not so keen myself give  good price on  part ex told him I'd phone back  the following day then changed price £50 less   bought elsewhere

Soveriegn xs2 pro / goldmaxx power v4 /makro racer
raistlain

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 10:29:04 PM »

Staffordshire detectors  not so keen myself give  good price on  part ex told him I'd phone back  the following day then changed price £50 less   bought elsewhere

Yer was thinking of buying used but heard some nitemare stories as well as some good but its the nitemare ones that stick in your mind and its beginning to put me off buying used to be honest maybe it's just got me paranoid I don't know ha ha
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 01:30:29 AM »

I wouldn't let it put you off as it's only the same as cars or any other thing you buy second hand 99.9% of sales go great and we never hear anything about them we only get to hear about when something goes wrong so we develop a biased view, as Jerry says if you buy knew by the time you get home and put batteries in your machine it's only worth two thirds of the price you paid Undecided at least if you buy second hand and find the hobby isn't for you then you should get your money back Wink
deusdoes
Rally attendee

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 07:37:32 PM »

TEKNETICS T2 CLASSIC METAL DETECTOR new £440   yes not as good on the beach as a Minelab  fbs but with 5 Year  Warranty fast and deep great inland machine good on  small hammereds and gold Wink

http://www.joanallen.co.uk/Teknetics-T2-Classic-Metal-Detector-p/20486.htm

23 silvers
15 Romans
5 hammered (1 gold)
3 Roman brooches
8 spindle whorls
Mogs
Rally attendee

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 09:28:17 AM »

There are a lot of good shops out there and it's up to you who to choose ,Keep an eye out on local papers plus the net to see what pops up.
 I'm not saying too much because I have noticed a few of my posts disappear so keeping it simple  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal