Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: £500  (Read 11535 times)
raistlain

« on: October 27, 2015, 08:09:10 PM »

Detecting around North Wales mostly fields ,hills...the odd bit of beach ...Soooo .....what you recommend for my budget of £500 Huh?.......
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 08:13:22 PM »

explorer , does it all and for well below 500squid

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
raistlain

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 09:00:10 PM »

explorer , does it all and for well below 500squid
[/q
uote]
sorry I'm a newbie who makes the explorer ?
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 09:08:27 PM »

Minelab Wink
deusdoes
Rally attendee

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 09:22:51 PM »

Still make them today and call it the Etrac Cheesy

23 silvers
15 Romans
5 hammered (1 gold)
3 Roman brooches
8 spindle whorls
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 09:25:33 PM »

Still make them today and call it the Etrac Cheesy

Or Safari
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 10:04:39 PM »

Hi Raitlain, welcome to the forum
I agree with the minelab explorer xs.....they go for around 350-ish

btw is that you in the pic?

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
raistlain

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 10:34:10 PM »

Hi Raitlain, welcome to the forum
I agree with the minelab explorer xs.....they go for around 350-ish

btw is that you in the pic?

Been looking at them on google was told there now named x-terra705 but he wasn't to sure.....yes that's me in the pic
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 11:04:53 PM »

No the Xterra is a different model though the 705 is a lovely machine but not multi frequency like the Explorers
raistlain

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 11:17:43 PM »

No the Xterra is a different model though the 705 is a lovely machine but not multi frequency like the Explorers

so is the multi frequency the better option ?
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 09:33:05 AM »

As I'm not within arms reach of a flak jacket or stab vest I couldn't possibly comment Cheesy
To be honest there is no "one size fits all" with the Minelab FBS machines covering most scenarios well, if you understand and use their full potential, and single frequency machines having the edge of ploughed land and small silver coins (and I do mean small) I could take you to land where because of mineralisation (ironpan) the FBS machines are virtually useless and something like the Deus shines but also land with low mineralisation where the FBS machines make the Deus look like a toy.
People buy and use machines that are fashionable and the more people who use a certain type of machine then the more finds that machine will make thus giving a "false positive" result only 5 or 6 years ago at any rally 80% of people were using FBS machines now it's 80% single frequency so is one that much better than another? No it's what's fashionable.....
Then of course we all scratch our heads when......
Staffordshire Anglo-Saxon Hoard (largest ever Saxon hoard) found with a 25 year old Whites Eagle Spectrum
Frome Roman Hoard (second largest Roman coin hoard) found with a 10 year old Explorer II
Stirling Gold Torques hoard found by ex-member Davey-B valued at a cool £1m found on his first time out with a Garrett Ace 250.
St Albans Roman Gold coins hoard (largest in UK) again found first time out with a Garrett Ace 150.
So go figure Grin

The truth is that 99% of machines will find 99% of the finds and the more you get in to the hobby the more top flight you want your machine to be and with this enthusiasm comes a greater time you dedicate to detecting and simple mathematics dictate that these machines find more.
JBM

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 10:27:43 AM »

As I'm not within arms reach of a flak jacket or stab vest I couldn't possibly comment Cheesy
To be honest there is no "one size fits all" with the Minelab FBS machines covering most scenarios well, if you understand and use their full potential, and single frequency machines having the edge of ploughed land and small silver coins (and I do mean small) I could take you to land where because of mineralisation (ironpan) the FBS machines are virtually useless and something like the Deus shines but also land with low mineralisation where the FBS machines make the Deus look like a toy.
People buy and use machines that are fashionable and the more people who use a certain type of machine then the more finds that machine will make thus giving a "false positive" result only 5 or 6 years ago at any rally 80% of people were using FBS machines now it's 80% single frequency so is one that much better than another? No it's what's fashionable.....
Then of course we all scratch our heads when......
Staffordshire Anglo-Saxon Hoard (largest ever Saxon hoard) found with a 25 year old Whites Eagle Spectrum
Frome Roman Hoard (second largest Roman coin hoard) found with a 10 year old Explorer II
Stirling Gold Torques hoard found by ex-member Davey-B valued at a cool £1m found on his first time out with a Garrett Ace 250.
St Albans Roman Gold coins hoard (largest in UK) again found first time out with a Garrett Ace 150.
So go figure Grin

The truth is that 99% of machines will find 99% of the finds and the more you get in to the hobby the more top flight you want your machine to be and with this enthusiasm comes a greater time you dedicate to detecting and simple mathematics dictate that these machines find more.

There you have it thats a excellent post and worth taking on board. Wink  Jerry.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:18:12 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 06:36:21 PM »

Very well stated Chef,nice piece!!! Wink
deusdoes
Rally attendee

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 06:57:52 PM »

quote Minelab FBS machines covering most scenarios well, if you understand and use their full potential, and single frequency machines having the edge of ploughed land and small silver coins (and I do mean small) I could take you to land where because of mineralisation (ironpan) the FBS machines are virtually useless and something like the Deus shines but also land with low mineralisation where the FBS machines make the Deus look like a toy.
With any detector you need to have a full understand of the setting to get the best out of it this is particularly import with the Deus . Light fast and deep but its not really a beach machine and the build quality could be better. The Minelab is heavy and slow and not able to pick up very small hammered which was proved earlier this year in the field the Etrac user was shocked at not being able to pick it up. The minelab is a good machine and i have had some good finds with it but since changing to the Deus finds rates have gone up considerably. There are a number of people who buy and sell the Deus quickly saying that it is rubbish but i think that is down to not being able to use the machine.
If i wanted a detector for £500 i would buy a Makro Racer fast and good depth also  has beach programe but would not be as good as FBS on beach. I managed to purchase one new for £360 so give you great bang for buck with 2 year warantey  Wink

23 silvers
15 Romans
5 hammered (1 gold)
3 Roman brooches
8 spindle whorls
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 07:27:35 PM »

I think the mineralisation of the field may have been at play there as I've had 27 cut quarters and 6 farthings with FBS machines but obviously ignorance is bliss and God knows what I walked over and didn't find and yes the same is true with most machines I know that Damonkey (Andy) couldn't find a Roman brooch at more than three inches with his Deus something in that soil or environment that stopped the Deus working properly  and to make it  even scarier I remember Taff finding a cut half with the Etrac while he, Nobby and I were out which while showing us he dropped....now we knew it had to be in the square yard between us but neither the Etrac, F75 or Deus could find it and in the end Taff had to get down on his hands and knees with a probe to try and find it which he eventually did but the ironpan in that field stopped any detection of small items.
I would agree with the Racer if not for several teething problems it has had but its stable mate the Nokta Fors Core I can vouch for...very impressive Wink
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 07:32:08 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal