Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Etiquette!  (Read 7190 times)
Pancho1000
Rally attendee

« on: October 22, 2015, 07:22:18 PM »

Hello,
I would like to know, if....say you managed to get permission on a field and you turned up the next day to find other people detecting on it. Would you still detect on that field or is it seen as imposing on someone else's area!! We were here first kinda thing!!
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 07:41:28 PM »

First off if you have permission from landowner then there's no problem, its his or her land full stop.....But I guess it also depends on the reception you get from the other detectorists  Grin also whether you know them or not? if it turns out you do and they object and it was me I would not detect......others would carry on I'm sure. Wink
deusdoes
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 07:41:39 PM »

If you have been granted permission there is not a problem, the other detectorists do not own the land its up to the land owner who he lets detect

23 silvers
15 Romans
5 hammered (1 gold)
3 Roman brooches
8 spindle whorls
Pancho1000
Rally attendee

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 07:47:04 PM »

Ok, I don't suppose it happens that often, if at all!!! 
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 07:53:03 PM »

Always a difficult one this and is worth asking the farmer if anyone else has permission and if they exercise that permission as some detectorists seem to have a second hobby of land collecting Grin
As Paul says be governed by the reception you get from those other detectorists, I have two permissions that I share with a local club (they only use it once or twice a year) which doesn't bother me at all though I have sought and got permission on other farms only to find that others also did and detected quite regularly these I didn't take up purely because I know how I would feel if like me they had been find mapping the land for years only to discover someone else was taking the clues out of the ground.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 07:55:44 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
deusdoes
Rally attendee

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 08:10:14 PM »

Happened to me recently were the other detectorists tried to stop me going through the gate into the field, told them who i obtained permission from and walked into field . Told the farmer later and said its up to him and if problems again to tell them to see him and he will put them straight. Its all down to personal choice and we all should get on together, if i see another detectorist on one of my permission i think its fine and always have a good chat and see how they are getting on

23 silvers
15 Romans
5 hammered (1 gold)
3 Roman brooches
8 spindle whorls
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 08:24:55 PM »

Go with Deucedoes 100%its NOTour lands,we are purely detectorists who have permissions to walk upon them,go for it Pancho,and good hunting👍
Cymro

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 06:05:59 AM »

Hello,
I would like to know, if....say you managed to get permission on a field and you turned up the next day to find other people detecting on it. Would you still detect on that field or is it seen as imposing on someone else's area!! We were here first kinda thing!!

Is this a hypothetical situation or is it something you've encountered?

We currently have permission on four farms - on the first one the farmer told us that a large club also has permission there. We've been there quite a bit and have never seen anyone else detecting, but if we did we would probably just pass the time of day with them and ask if they had had any good finds!

The other farmers have also volunteered the information that others have detected there in the past, but to the best of my knowledge it's just us now.

But ultimately, if the farmer has granted you permission, then you have every right to be there. After that it all comes down to what you're comfortable with.
Pancho1000
Rally attendee

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 08:30:55 AM »

No. It was a hypothetical question.  I haven't been anywhere yet, just thought it could be a potentially awkward situation, with lots of staring Shocked
Cymro

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 08:52:11 AM »

In that case I'd worry about it when it happens   Wink

I spent years with a detector and nowhere to go - I didn't have the bottle to ask for permission. Eventually did a bit of detecting with a friend and realised what I'd been missing. I can ask with the best of them now!

Thing is, I can't really imagine a 'hard stare' scenario - just give them a friendly nod and get on with your business. Or stroll over and say, 'Nice machine - found much . . ?' and wait for the ensuing conversation.

We're all in this for enjoyment!

Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 01:41:12 PM »

well it happened to me a few years ago whilst on  a farm , seen a guy in the distance he came over to say hello and we have been great friends ever since , detecting together often  Smiley Smiley

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 05:15:52 PM »

Yes,I go with Mike on that,I had a slightly different scenario, I met up with this detectorist on one of our beaches, started talking,now we meet  up detecting, normally at least once a week,great company!!!👍
jayhay69
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 06:02:14 PM »

its happened to our club, we payed the farmer for a days detecting there was about 10/15 of us there next thing 2 fellas came on and started detecting, we found out they are in another club. now if it was me even though we have the permission off the farmer i would never think of going on a farm if a club was on even if others are on i wouldnt go on as its an unwritten rule in my eyes, (dont step on others shoes).

1 x Gold Guinea
1 x Gold posy ring
8 x Roman coins
2 x Roman Brooch
2 x Silver Denari
6 x Hammered
3 x Silver Milled
1 x silver thimble

Caius Vipsanius Ursus
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 06:54:02 PM »

Agree to a point Jayhay69, but you could always find another field!!
Just a thought mate.👍
deusdoes
Rally attendee

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 07:58:10 PM »

well it happened to me a few years ago whilst on  a farm , seen a guy in the distance he came over to say hello and we have been great friends ever since , detecting together often  Smiley Smiley
That's what it's all about Mike Smiley share and share alike
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 07:59:45 PM by deusdoes » Logged

23 silvers
15 Romans
5 hammered (1 gold)
3 Roman brooches
8 spindle whorls

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal