Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Pottery anyone???  (Read 3843 times)
flipper
« on: June 18, 2009, 09:47:15 PM »

Its a long shot, but i can be hopefull Grin..... Is it possible for a Time/age to be fixed with this bit of pottery??? if so how can you tell???

any links, suggestions will help... thanks in advance.... flip

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 09:52:40 PM »

Someone who knows pottery would be able to date that fella , and even tell you where it was made. I woudnt be surpised if someone on here knows.

Dont know pottery myself yet sorry.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
hedgehog
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 09:40:52 AM »

It looks more like a piece of clay tile than pottery, I would guess that it's a difficult one to date, are there any other clues as to the site that it came from?
Walt is the man for pottery , it's all about the "inclusions" i.e. method used in mixing the clay, the bits of grit in it and smoothness of the clay used.
It may be a relatively modern tile , here is a pic of a Roman roof tile
waltonbasinman
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 05:50:17 PM »

Its a long shot, but i can be hopefull Grin..... Is it possible for a Time/age to be fixed with this bit of pottery??? if so how can you tell???

any links, suggestions will help... thanks in advance.... flip

It,s the base of a medieval upright jar. If you look really closely you will see a dark grey grit that would have been added to the clay for the firing process and was made on a wheel. About 1400 to 1500 but may be plus or minus thirty years depending on the potteries find spot and would have probably been locally made.
StumbledUpon

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 05:57:21 PM »

Excellent ID Paul,  Smiley
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 08:39:38 PM »

Nice ID Paul - pottery is something that I don't know a lot about  Shocked
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 08:53:01 PM »

Good id Paul , I knew somone would know!  Grin

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 09:01:59 PM »

NOW FLIPPER  CAN YOU TELL ME HOW YOU FOUND POTTERY WITH A METAL DETECTOR  Huh Huh   YOU GOT SOME SECRET SETTING ON THE  MACHINE BUD  Huh Grin Grin Grin Wink

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
ROMAN STEVE
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 09:07:07 PM »

Wow that was good paul Shocked

Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 02:21:45 PM »

just to let folks know that WALTONBASINMAN is a trained archaeologist, and as studied pottery in university...................... nice plug for you there Paul m8 Wink
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 03:51:35 PM »

Fair play. Paul is the man for the pottery...and just about any other archaeology...and he is bloody good at finding the coins too...is there a green with envy smiley above me~? no? There should be! It has been one of the pluses with becoming a member of detectingwales that I have met Paul and others who have a vast amount of learning that they are willing to pass on.
zorro
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 06:49:42 PM »

while we're talking about pottery have you good any good links on the subject paul?
waltonbasinman
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 06:57:34 PM »

while we're talking about pottery have you good any good links on the subject paul?

Kev, give me a few days and I will post some links. Some of them very good OK mate.
hedgehog
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 09:43:27 AM »

Paul is definitely your man for pottery, flints and landscape (and I thought it was a tile  Embarrassed, can see the marks where it has been turned now!)

Paul finds it all exciting and interesting and a discussion with him is always interesting, he has sparked an interest in pottery with me to the point that I am thinking of buying a book, with pictures of course!

Seen one on the net "Pottery in Britain" by Lloyd Laing, have you got any comments on that one Paul?

Those little bits and pieces all help when you are looking for a site to detect on and fieldwalking is almost as good as detecting!
waltonbasinman
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 10:11:04 AM »

Good little book Steve. There are a lot of more specific period books for pottery which get very monotinous and for a more general overview this is a good book. What you don,t need is a tedious long winded book that goes on and on. I would say to any detectorist get this book and you will soon get to learn without driving you crazy.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal