Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: The Enemy Within  (Read 15528 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 01:20:31 PM »

I really can't see how we would be punished exactly but yes I understand how those who do it illegally will always do so, "hung for a sheep as for a lamb" springs to mind, but this would offer some traceability and coupled with education would help eradicate some of the ignorance especially of newcomers but sadly also in long time hobbyists,
The hoard of gold Roman coins from three years ago in St Albans is a case in point and although he didn't have permission he still got his 50% but he did do the right thing and contacted somebody but with training he would have got it all right. I would hate to think of exactly how many hoards and historically valuable artefacts are found each year and nothing is ever known about them Sad
The main problem is the media coverage around hoards and the simplicity of starting the hobby, after each high profile hoard there is a spike in detector sales so retailers and manufactures aren't interested in control, FID are a private company who make their money from selling insurance so more the merrier and NCMD are a holiday and retirement fund for the committee members so ditto plus they are stuck in a 1980's "behind the barricades) mindset. (They are now sponsored by Minelab...how the hell does that work?)
Too be honest I don't know what the answer is but I do know that after 40 odd years the cry of "the irresponsible few" is wearing a little thin when they are turning out to be part of the responsible majority during the day and unless we ourselves start policing our own then the authorities will do it for us.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 01:24:58 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
GJH

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 03:13:18 PM »

Totally agree with you Geoff, it's down to us.
Geoff
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 03:17:06 PM »

Licensing by government would finish this hobby. Quotas,,Red tape,,Supervision,No  new tech.......as manufactors going bust as demand ***********************************************drops
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 04:15:10 PM »

I don't think there are many manufacturers who rely entirely on the meagre numbers in the UK and I can't see how you could have a quota system "Oh damn another gold hammered I'll have to throw it back" lol, there hasn't been any "new" tech since the mid 70's unless you count BBS if so 1992, red tape bring it on it's all part of natural selection Cheesy
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 06:02:26 PM »

Go with Geoff 100%+......If you know em,DOB EM IN...!!!!!!!regardless.!!!!!
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2015, 08:24:50 AM »

Read and reread the thread several times and am beginning to wonder if licensing of detectorists is going to be the only way that we can head off the banning of metal detecting. I am repeatedly amazed by the statements made by some people, concerning the finding of valuables. Finders keepers, I have a friend who can melt a hoard down for me, shouldn't dig through the hardpack...take no notice of that; to name but a few.

I recently chatted with a ten year old and showed him some photographs of my finds and upon showing him the back half of a silver cigarette case that may have belong to a WWII fighter pilot; his first response was........how much can you get for that? I tried explaining that one should try and get the object back to the family if possible, but I think that he found that disappointing. I can probably point the youngster in the right direction, but that will be the best that I can do.  Sad

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2015, 10:54:30 AM »

All new detectors to be fitted with a tamper proof tracking device that is listed to an owner and is linked via sattelite to a tracking station. Detector has an ID number that matches a licence number held by the registered owner. Tracking station has all important sites listed and automatically records when information is sent in that a detector is being used there. Next thing that happens is a knock on the door and you're nicked!

Never happen, but wonder if it would work?

XP Deus user
Cymro

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2015, 11:07:12 AM »

All new detectors to be fitted with a tamper proof tracking device that is listed to an owner and is linked via sattelite to a tracking station. Detector has an ID number that matches a licence number held by the registered owner. Tracking station has all important sites listed and automatically records when information is sent in that a detector is being used there. Next thing that happens is a knock on the door and you're nicked!

The technology is already built into most mobile phones.

Yes, of course it could work - but somebody would have to set up a database of off-limits sites. And what would it cost to retro-fit it to every metal detector and then monitor their use . . . ?
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2015, 11:19:21 AM »

The technology is already built into most mobile phones.

Yes, of course it could work - but somebody would have to set up a database of off-limits sites. And what would it cost to retro-fit it to every metal detector and then monitor their use . . . ?

Don't think retro fitting would be viable, would probably have to be incorporated into new designs, which would probably increase the price, that's if the makers could be bothered to go to the hassle of fitting them to detectors just for our market.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 11:25:13 AM by hotmill » Logged

XP Deus user
Cymro

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2015, 11:42:50 AM »

Don't think retro fitting would be viable, would probably have to be incorporated into new designs, which would probably increase the price, that's if the makers could be bothered to go to the hassle of fitting them to detectors just for our market.

So now we all have to buy new detectors . . .  Huh Roll Eyes
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2015, 11:58:39 AM »

So now we all have to buy new detectors . . .  Huh Roll Eyes

I can't see it happening in reality. If the problem was that big they'd just ban it completely.

XP Deus user
Cymro

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2015, 12:11:18 PM »

I can't see it happening in reality. If the problem was that big they'd just ban it completely.

Shhh . . . Don't give them ideas . . .  Wink
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2015, 01:17:30 PM »

Shhh . . . Don't give them ideas . . .  Wink

ok, I won't say anything if you don't.  Grin

XP Deus user
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2015, 08:35:07 PM »

Grin Grin Grin my lips are sealed!

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2015, 04:10:59 PM »

Bit harsh on NCMD Geoff...We are having a change in the old Treasure Trove law in I.O.M and have nothing we but admiration personally for professional touch in their approach to our museum and our top civil servants.Get your head out of the sand..I was talking to some of NCMD top brass at Chester town hall and they have a heavy workload and they have 21st century approach to their work...But they need fresh blood like any committee..Stop sniping if your not willing to join the fight against these thiefs with detectors.I had snipers telling me that i and rest of charitable committee were useless and they no where to be seen when the committee folded through ill health..Support the NCMD NOT KICK THEM...WE NEED THEM...PUT AWAY THE PETTY GRIEVANCES GEOFF....................ROB

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal