Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Garret pro pointer falsing.  (Read 9792 times)
roaljodaka
« on: October 07, 2015, 03:39:16 PM »

Hi all, i found this link on you tube for a fix after nearly launching my garret over the hedge in temper, it seems to have worked with mine, but it is a bit of a bugger to do.
Anyway here it is.

https://youtu.be/vPdWPQE6DNc
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 06:33:14 PM »

Well Roaljodaka,my pin-pointer went through a "falcing phase" and I was told to remove the battery, carefully remove the rubber on/off rubber switch cover(easy)and put pointer in an airing cupboard, or somewhere warm and dry,leave it for a couple of days so that any inherent moisture  will evaporate.
Well its just a suggestion,and seemed to do do the trick.
I always on return from detecting,give it a good clean,remove batteries etc and dry it out as previously stated.Got to be worth a try!!! Good luck👍
roaljodaka
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 07:18:13 PM »

Thanks dingdong will bear this in mind as when you open it up there is plenty of points of entry for moisture  Undecided
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 07:52:23 PM »

Forgot to say,smear a bit a clear mastic around the torch- light area,you can get water ingress here,as its not a very good seal !!👍
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 02:30:00 AM »

This video looks more like "How not to do it" lol

1] Won't the plastic hold in moisture instead of leaving it evaporate?

2] Wouldn't it have been easier to just put a bit of nail varnish on the wire instead ?

3] Can you still attempt this repair if you haven't got a cat ?

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
david995

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 09:20:08 AM »

by falsing do you mean going off when near the ground ? if yes have you ground balanced it ? surprising how many don't know about that

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 05:13:25 PM »

Hi ya David, yes I do now,but I didn't until I read an article in a back issue of a detecting may.
Aparrently, if you put the pointer into the hole,(plug)place pointer onto the side of the hole,THEN!! switch ON the pointer,effectively ground balancing the pointer,and you will stop the falcing issues many pointers have,if you haven't tried it,go,give it a go,and you will be pleasantly surprised.
I also put a thread on DetectingWales, a couple of weeks ago,covering the same  subject.👍
Radnor Bandit (Ian)

Keep banging them rocks together

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 04:45:00 PM »

A sharp tap against my spade or slinging across the field works every time for mine.
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 05:44:37 PM »

Ian,if your going to sling it,please sling it my way,do as has been previously said,remove  top,taken out battery,carefully remove rubber switch cover,put into warm airing cover,leave it there overnight, or even longer if possible.
In my own case I dismantel as above,place folded towel,teacloth onto the radiator,(NOTdirectly onto radiator)
Place pointer onto  folded material, turn pointer from time to time to ensure equal drying.
In winter I do this drying régime everytime I return from a detecting trip,and even I summer i strip detector down after cleaning an leave it out in the sunshine.
....................I........DONT.......GET........ANY.........FALCING...... ISSUES......
Give it a try ,well,it always works for me !!
Also,prior to doing this,I too used to get falcing problems, good luck👍
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:37:34 PM by dingdong » Logged
Mogs
Rally attendee

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 09:46:41 AM »

Hello Dingdong,This is what I said in a previous post about the wires grounding out ? And should only be done if all else fails but would like to know if it worked?
 How old is the pointer and is it still in warranty?
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 04:56:25 PM »

Hi Mogs,continuing the "falcing saga" of the PRO-POINTER, quoting the wisdom of Nigel at Regton's, that particular problem of uninsulated wires causing the wires to short out was addressed several years ago.
I had that falcing problem  a few years back,I went onto U-TUBE saw a piece on curing the falcing problem,after seeing the movie I got straight on to Nigel about the problem,he got back to me straight away stating,as I previously stated that that problem was now resolved.
And as in have said before, after using the pointer, carefully wash off all the mud,remembering to first cover over the "speaker" with a piece of insulation tape, dry off the pointer with some paper towel,remove the battery,DONT replace pointer screw cap.
Place the pointer in a warm ,dry environment, IE: airing cupboard, or over a radiator (NOT ON IT)
Leave overnight, or longer,and this will sort out any "falcing" issues.
Well,as I previously stated,...... IT WORKS FOR ME !!!
,so give it a try!!OH,as don't forget to remove the piece of insulation tape prior to putting putting pointer to dry !!!,Good luck👍
NOW CORRECTED!!!!😨👍
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 10:59:51 AM by dingdong » Logged
Nigel at Regtons
Rally attendee

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 04:48:05 PM »

Kevin at Regtons ? geez not another employee to pay, not even heard of this one, maybe Craig in repairs has seen him Grin
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 05:54:19 PM »

Ok,sorry,derrr!! Nigel= Regtons,Craig = CRAWFORDS, KEVIN = Staffs metal detectors,oh! and Corrine =Joan Allen.....OK !!SORRY !!!
Right,now that's out of the way I'm going down to the bakery to get some pork chops !! Huh Roll Eyes
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2015, 12:32:44 AM »

Easy peasy! I did this once. The board came out a treat and I then broke the switch when putting the board back in.  Roll Eyes

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 01:01:06 PM »

Hi ya David, yes I do now,but I didn't until I read an article in a back issue of a detecting may.
Aparrently, if you put the pointer into the hole,(plug)place pointer onto the side of the hole,THEN!! switch ON the pointer,effectively ground balancing the pointer,and you will stop the falcing issues many pointers have,if you haven't tried it,go,give it a go,and you will be pleasantly surprised.
I also put a thread on DetectingWales, a couple of weeks ago,covering the same  subject.👍

That does help - although it does find going from dry to very wet conditions difficult at all times.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal