Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: pin pointer  (Read 19448 times)
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2017, 06:31:59 PM »

Hi Greg,regarding the question of  ground balancing your pointer,at one point a few years ago I read on a Detecting forum that if your pointer seems to be falcing, before your switch it on place it on to the side of the plug,hen switch it on and the falcing will cease and will act in a far more accurate and sensitive manner than just trying  to firtle away in the hope of determining the location of the target....This manner of operation absolutely works...
Why not give it a try... I'm sure you won't be disappointed...Good Hunting...👍
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2017, 07:02:59 PM »

There is also a little trick that will give you some extra depth with the ProPointer. Holding a coin against the body of the ProPointer, under your thumb, slowly slide it forward past the on off button until the pointer sound and then slowly back the coin off until the sounding stops. You will then find that your pointer will detect at a slightly greater depyh than normal. Providing that you keep the said coin in position!  Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
romany jones
Rally attendee

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2017, 09:15:00 PM »

It's the first time that I've heard of the Nokta probe. Has anyone had any experience with them. My Garrett probe has started falsing again and is now a bit long in the tooth..

I recently purchased one after reading various reviews it is simple to use, waterproof, has the speaker to the rear and two buttons that control all the functions, it also has 10 settings and is extremely accurate, Joan Allan has them for about £80 something but all in all seems very good for the money.
Johnboy25

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 08:29:37 AM »

I have had my Garret Probe nearly 3years , a good bit of kit I would say.
still going
bodybuilder27
Rally attendee

Equinox

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2017, 12:58:04 PM »

I've had 2 x Garrett pointers, both ended up falsing like crazy.

So I bought a Deteknix X-pointer PI....and it is absolutely FANTASTIC!!

WAY cheaper than the garret and a lot...LOT more reliable and stacks more features.

Matt.
Andre

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2017, 06:37:24 PM »

A pointer saves you time,and gives accurate locating,less digging on the sides.
I personally use a Macro waterproof.Very sturdy,accurate and settings for distance from target.They come with two tips and a belt holder and a little finds bag on Joan Allen.
I think £90 quid.Cheers
Briser
Rally attendee

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2017, 08:50:13 PM »

I have the Garret PP2 and the most annoying thing is the button has come off twice, once it fell in the hole and I had to scratch around in the mud to find it!  Does anyone know if replacements are easy to come by?
Couldn't detect without it though.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2017, 03:41:34 AM »

Wouldn't be without my ProPointer but did have problems with it falsing, some time ago. Stripped it and pressed the reset button on the circuit board but then broke the on/off button when putting it back together and had to pay to have it fixed. When the ProPointer eventually gives up the ghost, I will have a look at replacing it with an other make.

I would suggest that newcomers don't bother trying to use a stud finder, or buy a cheap pointer from "Maplins"! Save your pennies and get a decent pointer. You will save your self an awful lot of frustration!

If I am not mistaken; I think one of our members Chris (Dungbeetle) never uses a pointer but I could be wrong.

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Radnor Bandit (Ian)

Keep banging them rocks together

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2017, 07:30:20 PM »

I've got an early Garrett and it tends to false a lot in the hot weather for some daft reason.
It usually gets a good flush out with quality aerosol switch cleaner twice a year - unscrew top and take battery out then prise out the rubber button hold upside down and give it a good dose of spray through the switch hole until the fluid runs clean (usually its quite filthy to start)then leave to dry / evaporate.
My main gripe with the Garrett is the speaker position right under the palm so it clogs up almost immidiatly on wet plough.
The makro probe solves this by mounting it in the cap. Unfortunately though the makro is a flaff to turn on and off as it requires a long push on the power button which is a pity as the waterproof design is the best for river and beach detecting.
I find when using the makro in saltwater it's best to submerge it first then turn it on as this ground balances it, otherwise it will false like mad in the saline.
I agree with Resurgam that a cheap probe is not worth the hassle.
Greg

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2017, 10:28:56 AM »

Garrett pro pointer (orange), had one since they first came out, £125 but worth every penny, better range than any others I have compared, and sensitivity can be reduced in stages to find the smallest object quickly saving time and effort.
Like the old Garrett I can move my ring finger down the shaft until it registers and then move it back slightly, increases sensitivity even more.
Does false in mineralised soil, but push it into the clod and switch on, it then balances and works fine (tip off Dingdong).
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2017, 08:17:57 PM »

Aaah; good point. Being right handed I never thought of using my ring finger in place of a coin to increase the range of the pointer. I will have to swap my wedding ring over to my right hand.  Wink

Seasider

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2017, 03:35:17 PM »

Reading this thread reminded me that I had my Garrett Probe for many years. I've even got the receipt, January 2011 £84.99 from Detecnicks. I've never had any problems with it at all. Mind you perhaps I don't find as much as I should  Wink

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal