Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is now a 'bad time' to start as a 'hobbiest' ??  (Read 6533 times)
The Bluebird
Rally attendee

« on: October 04, 2015, 11:37:14 AM »

Been thinking about getting in to detecting for a good while, but never progressed.  Is now (this time of year) a bad time to get in to it.  Should I wait until the spring time for more meetings/events/ digs etc ??
Lampheyman
Rally attendee

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 12:03:47 PM »

I hope not as I have just come back to it after a long break
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 12:09:06 PM »

Hi Bluebird
This time of year is about as good as it gets and far better than Spring as in a few weeks time the maize will be  harvested and those fields wont be planted until next April, pasture land gets freed up as cows go inside for the winter and grass stops growing also cold and wet ground aids conduction of signals making detecting easier if you want to try your hand on beaches then they too are more productive (theoretically) as the sand gets stripped from them making older finds closer to the surface and because of all that the amount of meetings and rallies are greater at this time of year, the unofficial "off season" is May, June and July as the crops are all sewn and growing and the grass is being grown for winter feed Wink
marknewbury1

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 01:38:47 PM »

Hi and welcome get out there and buy yourself a good detector Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 05:10:44 PM »

Hi there Bluebird,welcome to Detecting Wales forum,it really is a very helpful and informative forum,personally, its guided  me on the many aspects of the fascinating hobby of metal detecting.
And,as Chef rightly says now is the absolute right time to get yourself set up.
Have you decided on what sort of detector you want,are you aware that there are some very good deals on second hand detectors as well as new ones,all with warranties.
Anyway, whatever you decide on,I wish you every success, and that you find everything you go in search of.👍
The Bluebird
Rally attendee

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 08:17:23 PM »

Thanks, seriously thinking of the x terra 705...... thoughts?
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 09:27:56 AM »

Very nice machine to use in fact one of my favourites and found no less with it than with any other model, good choice Wink
The Bluebird
Rally attendee

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 09:47:46 AM »

Do you know of any reason why they are over £100 cheaper on Amazon, feedback suggests they are older models ?  Any ideas ??

Thanks
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 10:07:49 AM »

There's no real "older models" with the Xterras there was the older version the 70 but the only difference is shortcut buttons but performance is the same. As to price I'm afraid it's purely down to profit and buying power, the majority of manufactures have national distributors who then sell on to the retailers and eventually to us the user and so you have three people all wanting to make a profit from the product for instance a few years ago Minelab were selling Etracs to the then UK distributor for under £600 but by the time two profit mark ups were added it retailed at £1200 Undecided Amazon on the other hand are international and buy direct from Minelab and so only one profit is added and while they probably pay more than a distributor and sell at a lower price their profit may be higher than the normal retailer Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 05:14:09 PM »

;)Hi again,just to add a bit to what Chef said,the Amazon's and the eBay's are all very good,BUT!!speaking from my own experience's with them,well all I can say is that the main respected distributed,CRAWFORDS, REGTONS,JOAN ALLAN etc will give you technical backup,and are all very approachable, and helpful,something that are a bit non existent with the big guns.
Also,don't forget to have a word with Kevin at Staffordshire metal detectors,a really helpful guy,say to  him that your a member of Detecting Wales,and who knows,you may even get a bit of discount.
Hope this helps,good luck👍 Wink
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 04:57:20 PM by dingdong » Logged
marknewbury1

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 05:56:46 PM »

Hi don't forget you can buy excellent second-hand form Allgood detector shops Wink
Pancho1000
Rally attendee

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 01:06:54 PM »

Hi Bluebird,
I have also just bought an xterra 705 on the recommendations of the guys on here!
I bought it from Detecnicks for £400, (it's being delivered tomorrow). I emailed them and asked them if they would be willing to price match Amazons price, as I would rather they had my custom than Amazon, and they agreed.
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 05:00:10 PM »

Good on you Pancho for speaking up,cus if ya don't ask,ya don't get !!!👍
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 01:38:28 PM »

Welcome to this fascinating hobby of metal detecting and after 40 yrs I have never lost interest ...Good luck ROB
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 06:03:27 PM »

Good luck with your progress m8. Don't forget to wrap up well; it gets cold out there in the open.  Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal