Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: WOOLASTON RALLY  (Read 35508 times)
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2015, 06:08:45 PM »

OK custard cheers

TEZZA

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2015, 10:25:29 PM »

To all those diggers coming to Lydney on Saturday. The bacon`s sliced, The coffee is ground ,The weather forcast is good so happy hunting and good luck See you all Saturday
JBM

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2015, 03:00:53 PM »

Please add Ann Brownlee and Colin White both from WHRADA. club in Somerset.

Thanks,

Jerry. Smiley
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2015, 06:28:29 PM »

have done it cheers mate.

TEZZA

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2015, 07:45:24 PM »

DEADLOCK HERE`S A BIT OF HISTORY FOR SATURDAYS DIG

The main road through Woolaston runs from Gloucester to Chepstow and follows the course of the Roman road from Gloucester to Caerleon for much of its route and has been in use at least since the 10th century. The crossing at the Piccadilly brook and the Black brook at Twyford were recorded in 956. South-west of Brookend the Roman road is believed to have diverged northward past Gumstalls and the church before rejoining the modern road north-east of Stroat. A hoard of 250 Roman coins from AD 313 to AD 346 was discovered near High Woolaston  1887-8.

There are two roman villas within a mile and a half of the dig site

Grange Pill, Woolaston (ST593982) - This site can be split into two areas both of which have strong implications for maritime Dean. The first is the Chesters Roman villa which is a large villa complex, possibly with military links, situated some 750m north-east of Grange Pill, close to a small silted pill that flows into the Severn at Guscar Rocks.

Evidence indicates that there were two phases of continuous occupation, the first dating to the mid 2nd century, with the second commencing after c.320 A.D. and lasting until the end of the Roman period.

A thick dereliction layer separated these and this may hint at the villa having been attacked from the sea for there was known Irish raiding in the estuary in the early 4th century.

Maritime links for this villa are strongly suggested by a structure whose function was interpreted as a lighthouse (probably built to guide incoming craft along a safe channel between Guscar Rocks) and also large quantities of bloomery slag (a waste product of iron smelting) around the edge of the pill, which appeared to have been used as hardcore for a trackway to the villa and also for a hard for shipping.

The second area at this site is that of Woolaston Quay. This quay consists of two large and separate timber and stone structures (essentially an upper and lower quay) discovered in the intertidal zone of Grange Pill in 1985. Archaeological investigation has revealed that the upper quay was built in the mid 12th century and then the lower quay added in the early 13th century. The quays were probably built to serve the shipping needs of the manor of Woolaston which at the time was owned by Tintern Abbey (the remains of a monastic chapel are present at nearby Woolaston Grange) and they formed a substantial structure that remained in use until sometime in the mid 17th century, when they were apparently damaged beyond repair, most probably by a violent storm.

One of the most important aspects of this site for Dean is that despite being in use for 500 years, the two quays were not recorded in any documentary sources, which means that other similar waterfront structures may exist elsewhere in Dean but are at present unknown.

Source - Riverine Dean - The Maritime & Waterfront Archaeology of the Forest of Dean by John Putley

A hoard of about 250 Roman coins dated 313-346 AD was discovered under a stone at High Woolaston in 1887. It was only reported in 1895 when then in the possession of a family living near Chepstow.

tlc
Rally attendee

« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2015, 06:27:02 PM »

Tlc can't make it due to a small wall / fence job around my garden requiring major unforseen surgery better protect my property before I find any goodies and have them stolen good luck everyone.
JBM

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2015, 07:28:37 PM »

Hi Al,Some of us will be traveling through early fogg or mist still hope to be with you by 7.30am or very soon after. Wink Smiley  Jerry.
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2015, 07:54:58 PM »

That will  be fine Jerry look fwd to meet you safe jouney

sinky

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2015, 12:54:48 PM »

Please put me on the list for the rally please just saw it as we only came home from holls 2 day thanks sinky
mrstonytrees

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2015, 02:46:12 PM »

Hi sinky

The Rally was today!
sinky

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2015, 03:33:43 PM »

Oops my mistake not lookin propley thanks save me a journey ta mate
sinky

« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2015, 03:35:34 PM »

Wat twit I am  Huh
JBM

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2015, 06:08:59 PM »

Thanks guys what a well run event.

Finds were a bit elusive, but there were a few class ones which Iam sure folks will see posted up.

My friend had one of the most unusual finds that we will ever see.

The images were taken with a mobile phone, but it gives you a chance to have a first look.

This hand made brass case with of course some machining has a George III halfpenny inset one end and a Viccy sixpence at the other.

It also has a decorative pattern around it.

Mike Joyce the finder will try to unscrew it  and see what if any contents still exist.

It measures 28mm in length.

The raffle was something a bit different and went down well

Thanks again to the organizers it was very professional event and the breakfast and hot drinks were a very welcome start to the day. Wink Smiley Smiley  Jerry.

* Mikes Case..jpg (45.15 KB, 599x202 - viewed 1050 times.)
marknewbury1

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2015, 06:14:06 PM »

cracking  ;)can't wait to see what's inside it
mykencarol
Rally attendee

« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2015, 07:59:06 PM »

Thank you guys & dolls for a great day! Can't get the 'bloomin' thing open hot water didn't do the trick.. anyone know the combination?javascript:void(0);

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal