Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The love of money is the root of all evil!  (Read 5942 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« on: September 07, 2015, 02:53:30 PM »

Courtesy of the Express & Star
That's my treasure! Heated row at Iron Age coin inquest
A treasure trove inquest descended into a row between metal detectorists over how many Iron Age coins each had found.

The Iron Age coins that were found in a Claverley field and have been declared treasure at an inquest

At one point coroner John Ellery had to tell those involved to ‘keep the temperature down’ and he even threatened to adjourn the inquest to a later date if it ‘got out of hand’.

The row involved former members of Four Quarters Metal Detecting Club in Dudley during the inquest at Shirehall in Shrewsbury. The coins had been unearthed in a field in Claverley.

Derek Lloyd told the hearing he found three gold coins while detecting with fellow club members on land owned by Malcolm Powell.

But John Sibley, one of the club members, claimed he found the third coin that Mr Lloyd said he had found. Mr Lloyd is no longer a member with the club.
The inquest was held on Thursday into seven Iron Age coins all dating between AD 20 and AD 50.
Six of them were found on March 1 this year while the seventh coin was found on March 5.
Despite them being found on different days, the coins are part of the same hoard.

The dispute arose over the six coins that were found on March 1. Mr Lloyd, from Kidderminster, said he found three of the coins, while father and son John and Martin Sibley, and Shaun Painter found one coin each. Mr Painter found the seventh coin four days later.
Mr Lloyd’s claim was backed up by Mr Sibley’s son in a letter stating that he had found three coins.

But John Sibley, 67, from Dudley, argued that he and Mr Lloyd had actually found two coins each.

During the hearing Mr Lloyd remained defiant that he found three coins, dubbing Mr Sibley’s story as ‘utter rubbish’.
He said: “I found three coins. I called the others over as I was in the middle of the field, the other men were on the outskirts of the field.

“I got a signal and found one which started off the excitement then I found another one. I said I’ve got gold here but they thought I was fooling about, I told them I was serious and then Mr Sibley (Snr) started digging in my circuit, right around my area and in the meantime I’d found the third one.”

Mr Sibley denied this, he said: “Mr Lloyd got a signal and dug the hole but he could not find it, he said he couldn't find it. I found it and he said ‘it’s mine, it’s mine’, he can’t dispute it, I found the third coin.”
In a bid to settle the disagreement Mr Ellery asked for Mr Lloyd to swear on the bible and answer questions on oath.
Mr Lloyd said: “I dug the hole, I admit scratting around to find it and he may have heard me say I can’t find it but I did. It was my hand that found it.

“I don’t care what he says, I swear on the Holy Bible I found it. If he’s challenging that that I didn’t dig it then why have I declared the third coin, why have I got it? Surely possession is nine tenths of the law.”

Mr Sibley was also asked to swear on the bible. When insisting he was the one who had got the coin out of the ground, Mr Sibley said: “He said ‘it’s mine’ so I gave it him.”

When Mr Ellery asked why Mr Sibley had not said this until the hearing, Mr Sibley said: “He’s been so nasty about the whole procedure that I’m getting my own back.”

Concluding the hearing, Mr Ellery accepted Mr Lloyd’s evidence and declared the coins were a hoard of treasure.

He said: “I accept Mr Lloyd’s evidence because it was consistent throughout and supported by Martin Sibley’s letter, and this was only brought to my attention this morning. On the balance of probabilities Mr Lloyd found the three coins and the others found one each.

“Shaun Painter also found the seventh coin on March 5.”

Mr Ellery said he would notify the British Museum that he had declared the coins a hoard of treasure. Experts there will now decide if they want to buy the coins or not.

Following the inquest John Sibley said he was ‘totally disgusted’ at the outcome but happy that he found one coin and would potentially get a share for that.

Mr Lloyd, 78, said: “I’m very happy in one sense but what should have been a very happy event didn’t end up being one. I am still excited about the hoard but I couldn’t believe what was said at the hearing.”
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 02:59:03 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 03:18:30 PM »

Sounds a bit like John Houston's film  " The Treasure of the Sierra Madre " . The greed for money does drive a lot of people, it's not a nice trait ! Thanks for the post.
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 05:31:10 PM »

Thanks for putting that up Chef,just goes to show that the"money being the root of all evil"springs to mind!!
Wouldn't happen between DW members,would it?Huh...LOL!!👍
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 06:57:58 PM »

There's a simple way to sort that mess out..... Give it all to the farmer Shocked.......Its not the first Celtic hoard to cause a argument what about the Dallinghoo hoard Grin
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 07:17:05 PM »

Agree 100% with Dale,its the best solution all round,and also, you keep all your mates!!
ALL of my finds on his land go back to the farmer at the end of the year,accompanied  with a bottle of whiskey, and chocolates(chocs)!!! for his Mrs.
He normally gives them all back once he's had a good look at it all.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 08:32:48 PM by dingdong » Logged
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 07:37:46 PM »

It's a bit like the bingo players who always share wins; that is until one gets the jackpot!

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 07:44:59 PM »

...................  and chocks for his Mrs............................

rofl ... does she need a new set for her light aircraft?       yeeehaaaaaa chocks away!!  Grin Grin Grin
ask her for a ride, i mean flight!   Grin Grin

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 07:50:48 PM »

Yes Alan,she loves AERO!!!LOL👍
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 05:18:40 PM »

Alan,please for the uneducated,and un-initiated amongst us,could you please tell me what ROFL!!! means? Huh......LOL!!👍
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 05:49:51 PM »

Rolling On Floor Laughing
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 06:27:08 PM »

Many thanks Chef,every day in every way I get wiser and wiser!!👍ROFL Smiley Wink Grin
Johnboy25

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 03:28:50 PM »

Nice one Geoff.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 01:50:47 PM »

Just dawned on me that the heading for this thread is the correct reading for a very old saying.  Many people use a misquote say that money is the root of all evil.  Wink

Oh and lmao was one that puzzled me, when I first came across it!  Grin

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 02:55:36 PM »

Book of Timothy, chapter 6 verse 10..........Now how sad is that Cheesy Note to self "I really should get out more"
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 03:07:01 PM »

I remember an old 'equation' involving 'money is the root of all evil' that was used to prove that girls are evil Smiley

girls = money x time

time is money therefore girls = money squared

as money is the root of all evil, then money squared = evil.

therefore girls are evil!......
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 05:06:09 PM by probono » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal