Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nasty bit of old glass  (Read 4774 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: September 02, 2015, 07:01:02 PM »

Repeatedly discouraged from swinging the detector and spade due to bad weather, high tides, and a bad back; I put in an hours stroll on the sand the other day. As often happens I spotted the bottom of a broken bottle with it's jagged edges protruding from the sand. The Vietcong would have been proud of such a nasty man-trap!

Picking it up for safe removal from the beach, I popped it in my bag along with some other rubbish. Cleaning out my bag today I noticed that the glass had some lettering embossed on it.

STEER
                                                      CS & Co Ltd

RHYL

Tried Googling but as yet can't track down any information on the company. What there is of it looks rather old.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 07:14:17 PM by Resurgam » Logged

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 07:59:18 PM »

Googled CS & Co bottle. A lot on there. See the link below. The CS stood for Cannington Shaw in St Helens. With the Ltd in the name the bottle would date to 1892-1913. I didn't look at all the links.

http://www.sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/CS&Co.pdf

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 08:01:21 PM »

Well searched Cardiffian, great effort,well researched👍
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 09:13:25 PM »

Ta Cardiffian, It looks as though C&S Bottle company of St Hellens produced the bottle for "Steer" Wines and Spirit company of Rhyl. So they also had litter louts whey back then.  Sad

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Cymro

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 06:38:47 AM »

Sorry to hear of your detecting 'dry spell.'

Nice find with some interesting history - but damn dangerous.

On the subject of man-traps - I was detecting on the dry sand at Colwyn Bay after Easter when I got talking to a Council guy who was also a detectorist. He told me that just after the newly-refurbed prom was finished and the new sand 'installed' on the beach a gang of locals had smashed bottles and planted the bottom halves in the sand, pointy bits up. Doesn't bear thinking about what would happen if someone trod on that . . .

This was just after I'd handed over a fixed-blade Stanley knife I'd found in the sand with the detector.

Think I'll start wearing Kevlar gloves for detecting on the beach . . .
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 08:48:03 AM »

It gives me nightmares when I see folk running around on the sand with nothing on their feet. As a child, I remember my mother attending to an other youngster in Southport who had stepped on broken glass and gashed open the sole of his foot. Poor kid; his parents were demented!

I often come across bottle bottoms, jagged end up, when detecting the beach. I also find the neck ends in a similar positioning. As for hypodermic needles on the high tide line!!!!!!!!!!! I did sometimes wonder if broken bottles were planted deliberately.

Talacre beach is starting to become somewhat complicated and any coinage must be hiding right under my nose. I recently got my self involved with the Receiver of Wreck over an item that I tried to save from the storms the other year. Also found what looks like they may be bits of WWII fighter aircraft and I need to contact some official body concerning them. Hey Ho, they tell me that life is not meant to be easy.

Yesterday I dusted off the CS4PI and returned to the location where I recently found an amber and silver ring with my Safari, but the area was a quiet as the grave and the CS4PI snoozed whilst gently swung the coil over the sand inch by inch. Giving up and moving further up the beach I soon rediscovered why I invested in the Safari. On the up side though; I did find a 2p decimal coin, a Crufts doggy tag, and an other possible bit of WWII airframe. The 2p can go in the detecting piggybank, the doggy tag can be popped in the post for a nice lady from the West Midlands, and the piece of airframe was photographed and re-buried in the sand for the time being.

I'm going to break out the Safari on Sunday and see of I can stay out of trouble. Perhaps Talacre beach will be kind to me and surrender some interesting coinage. A pot of gold or hammies would do just nicely! I always say of Talacre, "some days are diamonds and some days are stone".  Grin

Cymro

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 09:45:16 AM »

Been lucky so far and have never found any hypodermics - but we don't go beach detecting very often. Went to Rhyl on Tuesday for a spot of coin-shooting; I'd seen the photos of the beach when the weekend-long air display was on and it was rammed so figured somebody must have dropped something . . .

Found a pound coin in the first few yards, then a cluster of three more within a 3-foot circle, then . . . nothing. Or not very much at any rate. Certainly not another pound in pennies and 2p's. Got so I was digging ring-pulls just to prove the detector was still working. Very big tides Monday - Tuesday so I thought all the goodies may have been washed further down the beach but apparently not - I went nearly as far as the low water mark but all I found was mud.

Oh, yes; I found a ring too. Almost forgot. It's my wife's birthday next Tuesday; I asked her on Monday what she would like and she said, 'Maybe you can find me a ring with your metal detector tomorrow . . .' And I did. Coppery sort of colour, one of those one-size-fits-all split ones covered in love hearts and mystic symbols - probably 99p from one of Rhyl's many tat shops . . . But I found her a ring. A first for me - I've never found a ring before, so now that I've broken the duck I look forward to more . . .

The other half of our two-man detecting team has a CS4PI; I'm busy building a PI from the ground up but I have mixed feelings over them. Love the way I can set my DFX up for any conditions; hate the idea of having to dig everything just in case it isn't trash. Love the depth capability of the PI but would hate to dig a huge deep hole for a hair-grip . . . And my DFX goes absolutely nuts if I'm within 10 yards of the PI but will detect quite happily all day right under high power transmission lines. I'll have to see how it goes when I get it finished.

I suspect you're doing the right thing at Talacre - you're taking your time and researching the history of the place. I think it's the best way to do it but you can never legislate for dumb luck either!

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 07:06:37 PM »

All the hypodermic needles that I have found turned up in the flotsam on the high tide line and I spotted them eyes only.

It will be interesting to see how you fare with the self-build PI machine. Don't forget to keep us informed of your progress and the final cost of construction. I keep intending to do some comparison depth tests, comparing the CS4PI with the Safari. Of course the EuroAce is a none runner on the wet sand.

I recon that the closer one gets to the low tide line the more a PI machine comes into it's own. Horses for courses perhaps. If the CS4PI proves to be no better than the Safari on depth it'll be going up for sale. Hmmm, or maybe not.

Cymro

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 08:46:41 PM »

I don't get much time for beachcombing; used to see more of the flotsam when I used to go sea fishing than I do metal detecting. As I said though - we're only occasional beach detectorists. It's useful to get on the beach when farm permissions are out of action though - frozen ground or flooded for example. To be fair, we didn't have suitable machines for wet sand until about Feb this year so beaches weren't really an option (unless we stuck to the dry bit . . . )

I'd hate to even try to do a costing on the PI I'm building as I can't factor in the time I'll have spent on it. I actually did complete a Barracuda PI from a Silverdog kit last year but had problems with instability. I don't have the test gear to be able to troubleshoot it effectively; even though I have an oscilloscope which shows a waveform its output is digitised so I can't see exactly what's going on. I'd like to get a CRT scope but can't afford one just now.

I also bought a complete PCB for a PI from Bulgaria; started building the hardware for it but wasn't happy with it as the shaft was too flexible, being constructed from high pressure uPVC pipe. So I made a new upper shaft from aluminium tube and am currently making a control box from aluminium sheet. In order to do that I had to spend a couple of days making a sheet metal folder, and longer trying to remember how to use it (it's been a very long time . . . ) Spent some time today making the box itself - only packed in at 8 tonight but now it just needs a bit of tweaking to get it just so and I can call that part finished. Got another smaller box to make, then I can start building the electronics into it.

I've chosen to make as much of the detector myself as possible because I can't buy exactly what I want anywhere, but you can see where this is going - how do you start costing out an item which is entirely hand-made . . . ?

I'm doing this as and when I get time; had a bit of spare time today but may not get any for another week - I can't predict it! I'll put some pics up on here sometime if anybody would be interested?

Sorry to have completely hijacked your thread, BTW!

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 09:52:43 PM »

I don't consider the thread hijacked but rather progressed or evolved.  Wink

Many thanks for sharing.  Smiley

Cymro

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 06:44:42 AM »

That's kind - I'll start a new thread though  Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 07:11:32 AM »

Perhaps headed "home-build detector finds enormous hoard"  Grin

Stay safe, stay well, and happy hunting.  Smiley

Cymro

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 07:20:09 AM »

I just snorted tea all over my keyboard  Shocked

No, the new thread has a much less ambitious title: 'Pulse Induction detector build.'

It's here:

http://www.detectingwales.com/index.php?topic=24762.msg226287;topicseen#new

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal