Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: A three hour hunt  (Read 4834 times)
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 08:54:19 PM »

As long as it's only the Deus that's flashing I can live with that.  Makes sense to down grade the attraction for the kids. Little fingers, big problems. Wink

p.s. talking of kids, do we ever grow up.  My new tablet whistles at me every time I get an EMail.  Always makes me smile Grin Roll Eyes

Yes big problems, iv already found one of the ear cups hanging off by the wire, it unclipped some how? none of the kids knows how it happened Cheesy
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 08:59:15 PM »

Well done again Dale - some nice condition coins amongst that lot - the little roman (if I read it correctly) is of Theodora - (mother of Constantine?) - I should remember who exactly there are one of these days Smiley

Roland you will like this one found on the same farm, about 10 meters from where I had my early BC brooch, almost 400 years age difference Wink

* Siliqua.jpg (40.21 KB, 500x349 - viewed 778 times.)
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 09:12:21 PM »

Well done again Dale - some nice condition coins amongst that lot - the little roman (if I read it correctly) is of Theodora - (mother of Constantine?) - I should remember who exactly there are one of these days Smiley

Roland you will like this one found on the same farm, about 10 meters from where I had my early BC brooch, almost 400 years age difference Wink
Very nice - full flan too - don't see too many of those, although they are more common than the usual pricing would admit - did you see the milarense of Eugenius that came up in that hoard a year or two ago?

Anyway, a very nice coin, don't have one at the moment either (I would write Lol, but apparently I have to replace it with hehe nowadays).
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 09:13:33 PM »

Constantine's mother was Helena Wink

True - of Sainthood and true cross fame......however there was also Fausta and Theodora in the mix somewhere and I'm too tired to go and look (just come back from Dingle today, but car and ferry zzzzz)
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 10:40:29 PM »

Very nice - full flan too - don't see too many of those, although they are more common than the usual pricing would admit - did you see the milarense of Eugenius that came up in that hoard a year or two ago?

Anyway, a very nice coin, don't have one at the moment either (I would write Lol, but apparently I have to replace it with hehe nowadays).

I thought you would like it Wink

No I haven't seen the Eugenius found in the hoard what hoard was it? its the first time iv heard of him to be honest Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 10:04:55 AM »

This is a link to one of the coins from the hoard:-

http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=247039

I've got a few of the commoner ones - Arcadius siliqua and the like - but it was 9 miliarenses and 653 siliquae.....!

I tried a quick search to find out more about the hoard, but the CNG bit tells you something about it.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 10:32:21 AM »

Courtesy of Spink

"The Gussage All Saints hoard of 662 late Roman silver coins was found on 21 March 2010 on ploughed land in the parish of Gussage All Saints, Dorset. The hoard was contained in a small earthenware flagon which was lifted and the taken to the British Museum in London where the coins were then removed and conserved. The hoard comprised 653 Siliquae and nine Miliarenses.
Curiously the Miliarenses were found at the top, in the neck of the flagon, which suggest careful packing of the coins into the pot at the time of concealment. The earliest coins were issues of Constantius II, struck 355-61 and the latest issue of Arcadius and Honorius from the Milan mint struck c.395-402. In addition to coins of these emperors, Julian II (as Caesar and Augustus), Jovian, Valentinian I, Valens, Gratian, Valentinian II, Theodosius I, Magnus Maximus, Flavius Victor and Eugenius were all represented. A small number of coins could not be attributed with certainty to a specific emperors and a few others were blundered and irregular issues. The composition of the hoard by emperor and denomination was
Miliarenses
Siliquae Constantius II (337-61) 20
Julian II (360-63) 1 52
Jovian (363-64) 5
Valentinian I (364-75) 1 9
Valens (364-78) 3 75
Gratian (367-83) 2 68
Valentinian II (375-92) 38
Theodosius I (379-95) 69
Magnus Maximus (383-88) 1 72
Flavius Victor (387-88) 9
Eugenius (392-94) 1 33
Arcadius (383-408) 101
Honorius (393-423) 65
Uncertain 21
Irregular 16
TOTAL 9 653
The majority of the coins were from the Trier (357 coins) and Milan (138) mints. Other Western Empire mints represented
were Lyon (51), Arles (44), Rome (27) and Aquileia (17). In addition there were a small number of Eastern Empire mints with Siscia (3 coins), Sirmium (3), Thessalonica (1), Constantinople (4), Nicomedia (2) and Antioch (6).
The composition of the Gussage All Saints hoard is comparable to the much larger and more famous Hoxne hoard in the British Museum. In comparison, Gussage All Saints has a higher percentage of coins of Trier as opposed to Milan and a higher proportion dating from 378-95, perhaps reflecting it’s slightly earlier deposition than Hoxne. Many of the coins have been subject to a low level of clipping, a practise common to British found Siliquae of this period, however the extent of clipping is far less severe than that noted for the Hoxne find. This, along with the content of the hoard, suggests a date of deposition of c.410. The hoard therefore dates from the period when the Western imperial government, beset with the collapse of the Rhine frontier and invasions in Gaul and Italy, relinquished its authority over the British province which was left to its own devices and increasingly vulnerable to Germanic and Irish raiding.
The Hoard was brought to Spink earlier this year after it completed the Treasure process. One coin was retained by the British Museum. We are pleased to offer each variety of the Miliarenses, a selection of the best of the Siliquae along with a few ‘large lots’ and the flagon in which the hoard was found.
"
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 10:43:35 AM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 08:19:08 PM »

Cheers for that, its a new one to me Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 09:38:12 PM »

I find it amazing that a hoard like that with some really rare coins wasn't retained by any museum (apart from one coin) yet many other items do seem to get retained.......

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal