Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: xp Deus control box playing up  (Read 14108 times)
bristolminelab
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 02:15:25 PM »

Yes we should not judge until will know the facts but there are several product on the market, which are not fit for purpose namely the garrett propointer i am on my 3rd pointer in under 18 months, constantly falsing and have just sent it back again . Its ok if you use only a few times a year but if you go out on a regularly they are not built to last last a defo not fit for purpose. And if people have to use something to press the button on the Deus control panel because they have so called big fingers this again is a poor design> None of these items are cheap in the first place hence why detectorists let there views known. Things should be made to last but this is not the case they are built to a price instead. Huh
Nigel at Regtons
Rally attendee

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 02:26:42 PM »

I NigelI wasn't having a dig I was just panicking I've sent the box off today it is a lot of wear and tear on it that's why I was panicking like I said that one of the posts I did look after it I have been using it twice a week for 11months fingers crossedall the best Mark oh by the way my nails are always short thanks Mark

LOL, not a problem Mark & that wasn't aimed in your direction at all, my apologies if that came across a little heavy handed, it wasn't meant to be, I see lots of similar postings on many forums followed by every Tom Dick & Harry suddenly knowing all about that exact issue when in fact they don't, they are presuming too much.
Nigel at Regtons
Rally attendee

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 02:29:11 PM »

Yes we should not judge until will know the facts but there are several product on the market, which are not fit for purpose namely the garrett propointer i am on my 3rd pointer in under 18 months, constantly falsing and have just sent it back again . Its ok if you use only a few times a year but if you go out on a regularly they are not built to last last a defo not fit for purpose. And if people have to use something to press the button on the Deus control panel because they have so called big fingers this again is a poor design> None of these items are cheap in the first place hence why detectorists let there views known. Things should be made to last but this is not the case they are built to a price instead. Huh

How many touchpads have you worn out in how many years ?
marknewbury1

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 02:38:14 PM »

and used it twice a week for nearly 5 years not a problem with the buttons it's like everything you have New you are pressing the buttons more until you get used to the machines different settings excetra excetra some people when they have a new machine stick with the main programs and stay on them without touching any buttons 4 yearsI class myself as a experienced metal detectors getting the most out of the machine and that means pressing a lot of buttons but in the future I will settle the programs in to make life easier a lesson learnt  Wink sorry rest of the message with all the buttons not a problem with the whites xlt
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 02:43:12 PM by marknewbury1 » Logged
bristolminelab
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 05:57:15 PM »

How many touchpads have you worn out in how many years ?

Never used a metal detector before  i am just just a forum Troll
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 06:30:30 PM »

Hi Nigel,your comments are duly noted,and each to their own,if it were me,there is no way I could work with a piece of kit that has a crack in it!!
I again totally agree that either its a fault in design,production(assembled incorrectly, or user misuse, if its the latter then fine,that is then the fault of the operator, if by any chance it falls into the other categories, then surely the manufacturers should be made aware that there are possible "manufacturing"/design issues that should be addressed,after all, the strength and success or failure of any product is undoubtedly down to the persons who buy it.
Nigel,please don't constrew this as a snipe at you,its just that an open forum is the right place to hopefully get these thing sorted out by meaningful dialogue.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 08:48:08 PM by dingdong » Logged
Nigel at Regtons
Rally attendee

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2015, 09:42:28 AM »

However you yourself are using a public forum with comments like these, is that really the right place to do this ? surely you are judging without seeing any evidence, not in charge of any facts and making veiled threats about using this fine forum to shout about it, so that's guilty before any trial.

"Hummmm!!!I think that if that were me I would "politely" suggest that you were totally dissatisfied with the performance of this particular piece of "KIT", which in turn actually renders  the rest of the detector pretty useless!!and is I your opinion " not fit for purpose "
That particular brand of metal detector price wise is definatly at the top end and there for its performance/durability should be comesurate to the price.
Plus you have a very good platform from which to shout,to a very large metal detecting FORUMS audience.!!!!"

Can I suggest that if anyone has a an issue with any product, they contact the seller who they have the legal agreement with, await their response & then if unhappy re-contact them and maybe the manufacturer to try & resolve why they feel they are not being treated fairly, surely this is just common sense ?

I myself take pride in making  fair & sensible decisions, jumping to conclusions helps no-one.
bristolminelab
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2015, 11:55:58 AM »

You seem to assume this is a dig at you Nigel but it is not, people use forums etc to express  there opinion on things which at the end of the day that is there purpose amongst other metal detecting subjects. People often use these as to wether or not to purchase a certain product.
The XP Deus is a great machine but there are a few  flaws which have been common knowledge for quite a while and there have certainly been no upgrades to these detects. When i purchased my Deus Regtons ( you offered me great service and advice by the way)  the staff member showed me the coil clip saying people break the small brass pins due to not allowing enough time to show the confirm light on the coil, and further added that these are not covered by the warantty. So have always used mine with respect due to this advice. I charge my after every hunt so sometime 2-3 times a week. Mine failed a few days ago not the brass pins but the very thin plastic spring, so searched your online shop and you were out of stock. So surely this is a flawed design the amount of these clips that fail. So when you are told that these are not covered under warranty and you have to pay around £15 for a replacement part on a high end machine such as this it is not good when you want to use the detector.
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2015, 12:44:06 PM »

No Further comment !!!...end of!!
Nigel at Regtons
Rally attendee

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 09:32:34 AM »

Hello bristolminelab, firstly thanks for taking the time to reply,  I'm not taking any of this as a personnal attack I was trying to make members aware that it's easy to make a storm in a teacup very often spurred on by people who really have no idea as they don't have any facts, years ago we called it tittle tattle, these people mean well I'm sure however they don't help anyone.

You have highlighted my point perfectly, you've decided that the part isn't covered by warranty, why ?

The conversation that you had regarding how the clips can be damaged was referring to the pins, you haven't damaged the pins, the 'bridge' has broken, if the machine is under warranty then that part is covered, good news in your case, yes I may have talked myself out of a sale but we don't work that way. Not all dealers work in the same way I know however sometimes it's best to simply take advice.

Retail law is there to protect the consumer from the not so nice retailers however it also works the other way around to protect the seller, yes, there will be grey areas as there are in all aspects of life, I'd like to think we play fair, if we can get something covered by warranty we will & contrary to popular belief we are on your side. A good case would be the Deus handle that was originally fitted 5-6 yrs ago, now in it's 4th version (4.5 years now with no failures), I had an old chap trying to buy a handle for his Deus so I asked the pertinent question why would he need to buy a handle ? because it had broken, I asked him to send it in despite being 3 years out of warranty which he kept on reminding me, sure enough it was a Mk2 handle that had a known weakness, I replaced the handle assembly and at the same time the armcup which was an earlier version that again might have failed, that saved him £85, he sent me a very nice card a week or so later thanking me. I can claim that back from XP as they too play 'fair', over & above their legal responsibilities but ethically correct, I like that in a Company.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2015, 12:52:27 PM »

Just as a question - does anyone here know of anyone who repairs GM machines in the UK? (Although hopefully mine will be fixed by helpful Woodbob)?

I've been interested to read the comments on this thread - I work for a company that manufactures 'machines' - and we often have to respond to customers and redevelop parts / processes that come to show weaknesses - in fact I'm working on stuff for a customer at the moment.

Some of the complaints are genuine - many however are spurious - especially when you find out that the customer is not using the machine in the recommended way (although I'm not suggesting anything about anything said on this thread).

What I would hope (and Nigel has commented on the Deus arm as a good example) is that known faults are rectified - it does no good for a company to produce rubbish - both to its sales or its reputation. My own personal gripe about reliability has been mentioned on this thread already - the Garrett probe, which is a great piece of kit when it works, but it just seems to go wrong far oo quickly - I'm on my second, but don't want to buy another one as it is quite a lot of money for what it is - even though it has helped enormously with my find rate (and in fact one was instrumental in me finding my hoard).

I did like using the Deus I had, although I found the clip holding the control unit was too fragile - in the end for me it was the cost of upgrading the coils rather than anything else that lead me to return to my minelab.
bristolminelab
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2015, 06:19:12 PM »

this is what my last two suffered from Huh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY8dnKKdOZ8
Nigel at Regtons
Rally attendee

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2015, 09:36:22 AM »

Sadly the video doesn't help me work out what the problem is with that particular probe, there are many different reasons for probes sounding off, with this particular probe most likely is corrosion or broken coil matrix neither of which are easily fixed. The only way to tell is to open & take a look & that's something I would not recommend if the unit is under warranty as you may void it straight away.

There are many symptoms that are very similar, I recently came across an online 'fixer' who is cutting one of the wires to the coil 'as it's not required', I mentioned that to the Garrett engineers & they were not impressed, it may not appear to do anything when in a workshop but wet ground or grass will then affect operation as he had disconnected the faraday screen, the old saying "little knowledge is dangerous" springs to mind.
bristolminelab
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2015, 10:33:45 AM »

The last 2 garrett propointers had exact same problem one was replaced and other has been returned again sounding off for no reason, talking to to friends last weekend  and they all had the same problem and both swore never to buy a garrett and , yes and before you say it has a new battery the grass was not wet , maybe there should be a instuction video how to use them lol
Also the old saying rings to mind you get what you pay for (mind you the garrettt is not cheap) so if all 6 pinpointers between me and fellow detectorists,  have the same problem, heaven forbid there maybe a issue with them as i am sure the Garrett engineers will not admit it. I for one will not waste my money on one again but what would i know anyway i am just a dumb customer with very little knowledge unlike the so called garrett engineers . Metal detecting technology is not rocket science and has changed very little over the years. Huh Mine has been returned Again under warennty and have not messed about with it so will be still covered. So this leaves we without a pointer again Huh, i have email garrett on several  occassions and they never reply a case of burrowing their head in the sand springs to mind. But there say the new model is better but would i risk paying extra 50% for a new pointer with the risks of the old one sorry not me. All i want is a pointer that will last and is in my mind its not fit  for purpose,  because if a pointer has to be returned numerous times within its warranty it certainly is not but that is just MY opinion for what it's worth. Undecided
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2015, 11:48:42 AM »

can we keep this thread on topic please guys  Wink

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal