Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Roman Brooch last night  (Read 8341 times)
sharkey
NWDD Member

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2015, 12:00:26 PM »

amazing brooch Will hope to see it in the flesh tomorrow :-)

sharkey

*North Wales Dirt Diggers
*Chester Mob member #002
*XP Deus
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2015, 01:40:07 PM »

amazing brooch Will hope to see it in the flesh tomorrow :-)

sharkey

We'll both be there  Cheesy

XP Deus user
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2015, 01:42:24 PM »

Well I hate to be beaten on an id for brooches but boy was this one close Cheesy and to be honest I can't guarantee the the following is anywhere near right but here goes lol......

I'm sticking with a Germanic influence as the closest I can get, though not exact, is what is known as a Bojovic type fibula which comes from Dacia (Romania) which at the time wasn't part of the Roman Empire. Now given it's location it's unlikely to have been direct trade, ie a trader coming to Briton to sell his goods, so a closer connection to Dacia is needed and although 3 of the 4 invasion legions had recent contact with the German provinces I can't believe that the brooch would have lasted in fashion from 43AD through to the time when Chester/North Wales had the Support staff and usual camp followers for this to be lost by them but the Legio II Adiutrix came to Britain in 71AD initially to Lincoln but by 73AD they were under the control of Agricola and were part of the main force in conquering the Ordovices and Anglesey, this Legion had come direct from action on the Dutch German border and while this is still a long way from Dacia (you wouldn't want to walk it Grin) trade routes did exist.

Now all of that maybe total BS and it could've been knocked up by an off duty legionary during his lunch break in a garage in Rhyle but it works for me Cheesy
roaljodaka
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2015, 01:51:14 PM »

interesting read chef  Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2015, 02:15:54 PM »

We really wanted to know all that Geoff  Roll Eyes Grin    In other words, it's a nice unusual find not previously recorded for the area. Wink  Oh and by the way,  Please make sure it's is recorded.  (It's Roman so they will be very interested)

Wouldn't mind finding one myself. Great find.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2015, 05:00:05 PM »

Well I hate to be beaten on an id for brooches but boy was this one close Cheesy and to be honest I can't guarantee the the following is anywhere near right but here goes lol......

I'm sticking with a Germanic influence as the closest I can get, though not exact, is what is known as a Bojovic type fibula which comes from Dacia (Romania) which at the time wasn't part of the Roman Empire. Now given it's location it's unlikely to have been direct trade, ie a trader coming to Briton to sell his goods, so a closer connection to Dacia is needed and although 3 of the 4 invasion legions had recent contact with the German provinces I can't believe that the brooch would have lasted in fashion from 43AD through to the time when Chester/North Wales had the Support staff and usual camp followers for this to be lost by them but the Legio II Adiutrix came to Britain in 71AD initially to Lincoln but by 73AD they were under the control of Agricola and were part of the main force in conquering the Ordovices and Anglesey, this Legion had come direct from action on the Dutch German border and while this is still a long way from Dacia (you wouldn't want to walk it Grin) trade routes did exist.

Now all of that maybe total BS and it could've been knocked up by an off duty legionary during his lunch break in a garage in Rhyle but it works for me Cheesy

That's fantastic Chef! Thanks very much, very interesting. Yes Val I fully intended to record it thanks. Wonder how much it's worth on E Bay?  Wink Cheesy

XP Deus user
digitup
NWDD Member

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2015, 05:50:51 PM »

will that's a stonker any pics of it cleaned up at all.chef that was a interesting write up .nice read
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2015, 08:06:06 PM »

I'm getting the Brillo pads and wire brush on it later so I'll post a pic up when it's all nice and shiny again.   Grin No I'm leaving it as it is for now.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 08:07:46 PM by hotmill » Logged

XP Deus user
digitup
NWDD Member

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2015, 01:04:12 AM »

Lol i didnt mean it like that.water only
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2015, 04:32:24 PM »

I know, just given it a wash that's all really.

XP Deus user
digitup
NWDD Member

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »

I know, just given it a wash that's all really.
it looks as though theres still enamel on it roger said it v nice
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2015, 05:13:21 PM »

Absolute cracking early brooch, I'm sure with carefull cleaning and a bit of protection it will look even more stunning  Wink that said some would say it looks even better in as found condition, I'm sure it does for you hotmail well done. Wink I would be supprised if Geoff is not on the money with ID so well done to him as well.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal