Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: This Hobby Allowing To Many Mercenary Elements To Take Advantage?  (Read 7773 times)
Spooyt Vane
« on: August 12, 2015, 02:45:19 PM »

I noticed over the years that I have given advice to many newbies and most have been fine and act respectfully towards you...Now you get greedy beggars whose only concern is trying to get on your sites and finding bootey...I AM SURE ITS A SMALL NUMBER IN THIS HOBBY.BUT ITS GROWING Smiley
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 03:02:02 PM by handyman [Alan} » Logged
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 03:13:41 PM »

I'm in the hobby for the interest in history and to get me off my backside, I record all my relevant finds with the PAS, there are a few who do it for gain but not too many. I see a lot of newcomers taking up the hobby expecting to get rich quick but soon lose interest. You only have to look at some of the treasure.inquest.outcomes to see it's not a hobby to make money out of. I love looking at my finds which will probably end up in a museum if they want them.
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 04:39:24 PM »

Yes,it never ceases to amaze me how many "top end" detectors go up for sale so quickly after their purchase stating"machine has only been used a few hours,and machine still has two and a half years warranty left !!
Old Kevin at Staffs metal detectors must be rubbing his hands with joy!!
But then again it does get rid of the " get rich quick brigade"!!
wet feet again

xp Deus

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 05:02:41 PM »

What you can make money at this ? Not sold a single find no intention too. Sisters kids take junk to school goodies in case win win

probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 08:35:05 PM »

What you can make money at this ? Not sold a single find no intention too. Sisters kids take junk to school goodies in case win win

True - I've been detecting for seven years and the only things that I haven't got are in a museum.

I'm often more interested in the small, different finds, rather than searching for high-end stuff (although it was quite exciting when it was found).

It also gets me out in the fresh air, which can't be a bad thing either.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 08:56:58 PM »

I think I have to agree with you Rob.  You can see it in the way they report what they've found. And I often wonder how much of it gets reported.
We often joked about Farmers asking the question,  What's it worth ? or Have you found anything valuable ? but it seems to be a question that's asked by some of the newer detectorists now.
I haven't been detecting anywhere near as long as you but I would admit to having had more enjoyment out of finding oddities that create a discussion than coins (not that I've found any that would take your breath away).

Maybe I'd change my mind if I found a hoard, who knows  Roll Eyes

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 08:58:10 PM »

Yep I go with that 100% Probono, good comments👍
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 09:40:35 PM »

I think it's probably always been so it's just that now in the internet age they are in your face in the same way that people think the hobby is more popular than ever but in reality it can't hold a candle to the amount of people detecting in the late 70's to early 80's it's just that today with forums and facebook groups you are in contact with them on a daily basis rather than once a month via a club or magazine.
I would agree though that the internet may attract people who see the good stuff daily but these people probably soon slip away into something else after a few frosty or muddy days in winter.
Val your spot on about recording or the lack of it, there are sooooooo many detectorists out there in interweb land who spout on about how they are "saving" history and how they wouldn't ever dream of selling a find but don't record Huh well if you don't record the find has absolutely no historical value so why they don't sell beats me Undecided
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 09:47:42 PM »

Mind you Geoff I do get a bit miffed at the lack of interest in Archaeological sites not being recorded, as you probably know.

Here in West Wales the records are abysmal and we detectorists do a lot of research that could add so much to the historical records. But try as I have I can't get anyone interested.  I've formed the impression the if it aint Roman they aint interested.

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 10:01:45 PM »

Oh don't get me wrong Val there are good detectorists too. Your report was probably noted down for further use in the future and will even probably get a visit from the county archaeologist one day on his or her rounds but it's the same in Somerset I've even informed the CA of a Roman mosaic on an unrecorded (or misrecorded) site but all they did was make a note of it in case somebody ever wants to build on the land and then they will act Undecided
As with everything it costs money and heritage departments are the Cinderella Depts of local authorities. Wink
marknewbury1

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 01:31:50 PM »

hopefully all of recorded fines are kept for the future to keep our land forever Green Wink
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 01:38:29 PM »

To be quite honest Mark as long as they're recorded properly then you can do what you want with them Wink
jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones

utrinque paratus , Gwell angau na Chywilydd

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 06:29:32 PM »

or you could find things and throw them back in the edge like i do ,for someone else to find in years to come

the mighty xp Deus
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 07:09:29 PM »

True but not everyone is as thoughtful and big-hearted as you Justin Grin
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 10:39:00 PM »

If they ever grub out the hedges round here there's going to be lines of iron across the new bigger fields courtesy of many of my finds.

Wonder what the detectorists of the future will make of that. Can just imagine some wise Archie. suggesting it had to be an industrial site.  Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal