Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Treasure trove buckle  (Read 5537 times)
WEBBER

« on: August 01, 2015, 07:16:23 AM »

A couple of years ago I found a silver buckle it was declared treasure and I have just received a valuation for it of £20 pounds!! I like most on this site don't do this hobby to get rich and I knew that it wouldn't be life changing but considering this buckle was surposodly a rare find and I doubt I will ever find another do people like me sometimes think what's the point .

* image.jpg (143.07 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 676 times.)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 08:09:36 AM »

On the QT Webber I've thought the same many times when I've seen and heard things like this.

I don't doubt that if you had it and sold it through some antique channels it would sell for considerably more than that.  I personally wouldn't want to sell it anyway.

I'll let you know what I do IF and when  I find something like that. Roll Eyes

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Chainsaw Bampy

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 08:17:22 AM »

i think i would have kept it, rather than sell it for four times that much, as you said you will probably never find another, if it was only worth £20 it couldn,t have been that important a find to them,.so why couldn,t they offer to let you have it back, i would be gutted.i hope you find something better next time your out.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 09:00:31 AM »

To me that is an insult of a  price for the buckle it is worth more than that definantly, I could have sold that to a dealer friend of mine for  at least 3 times that amount!! That said first of all it does fall within the treasure act of course and must be declaired which you clearly did Webber, that said the incentive to do so apart from the law is that you receive a fair market value ? Most of the time the reward for treasure I believe is fair although as with this item they do not always get it right in my opinion. Wink As for waiting 2 years for such a small item well that's the system we got I suppose.  Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 05:59:20 PM »

Got to agree with Celticspikey,that is a poltyry sum to be offered for a find of that calliber..... It is a disgrace!!
But in their(the system) defence the rules &regulations are old and archaic and should be greatly revised to accommodate for a far more modern approach to encourage us(the detectorist) in handing over these little treasures,and presenting the finder with a little more £(encouragement)
But unfortunately it's the age in which we live.
And I really do feel sorry for Mark Lodwick (FLO),one guy to cover the whole of Wales !! Rediculous!! He hasn't got a chance in "hell" of keeping up with all the finds that he is presented with!!
And with the great hobby of metal detecting on the up and up its going to be getting worse and worse,and sadly,a great deal of these little gems are going to end up on a well known internet web-site,GONE FOR GOOD !!
WEBBER

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 07:39:08 PM »

Thanks for your comments on the plus side it should be on display in the Ludlow museum as they want to buy it .Bad news is I handed another item in which is likely to be treasure this was the silver dog which I put on here a while back .It is a livery button of a Talbot dog linked with the Earl of Shrewsbury and of Tudor age shall we guess on value lol!!!

* image.jpg (65.91 KB, 844x720 - viewed 652 times.)

* image.jpg (52.26 KB, 790x621 - viewed 754 times.)
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 07:49:20 PM »

probably no more than a tenner!

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 08:31:30 PM »

Tell you what !! I'll go£25:00..!!!!!LOL👍
WEBBER

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 08:36:49 PM »

Not funny but tempting offer ha ha
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 10:54:43 PM »

I wouldn't surprise me if they asked you to donate it Cheesy or if your lucky they might offer the BV Wink

Nice finds Smiley
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 06:58:11 PM »

I think part of the problem with TT is that there has to be some catch-all legal phrase - I've even handed in two bits of silver plate, which are probably hack silver - total BV in them is about 50p, if that - although I'm still waiting to hear from the museum to make sure they go through the process........

b.buoy
NWDD Member

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 08:44:21 PM »

Some of us were talking today and are not too happy over the time, or lack of information when stuff is handed in, especially the £20 value that was paid for the silver buckle recently.
Remember this silver seal

It must be around 12 months now and I have heard nothing, not even an acknowledgement apart from the receipt when it was passed over in Rhyl library.
I am waiting, the farmer is waiting and if at the end of the day it is retained and a paltry amount  is all that is given for it, I will personally never hand anything in again. I would sooner keep it for myself and pass it on to my grandchildren.
Unhappy rant over
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 09:01:14 PM »

Hi Bill,great find,i am also waiting to hear back regarding a possible  Viking ring which I found,its in their hands!! have I heard anything back from them...NO I HAVE NOT!!!what the hell are you supposed to do??
After all honesty pays dosen't it!!...LOL
Take care Bill,I'll be in touch next week,take care
Chris👍
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 09:09:23 PM »

It took 2 1/2 years to get to the coroner for me. Don't blame Mark L though - the blockage isn't with him.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 10:05:58 PM »

I imagine deaths are more important than bling. Personally I think it's a stupid job to dump on a Coroner.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal