Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Coils for the MineLab Safari  (Read 8211 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: July 26, 2015, 09:50:11 AM »

I used a Garrett EuroAce for a couple of years and bought a Nel Tornado and Small Sniper coil for it; both of which I was highly satisfied with. The Tornado gave a little more depth and assisted in better area coverage and the Sniper coil got me into tight spots where the stock coil wouldn't go.

I would be interested in feedback from anyone who is using a Nel Big coil on their Safari. Or for that matter, anyone who has gone for a coil other than the stock coil that came with the Safari.

Chris  Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 10:24:21 AM »

If you want a bigger coil Chris the only way to go is the Ultimate 13"  It's lighter than the NEL equivalent and is an excellent coil.  It is, however, adding more weight than you've already got.

Changing to the Deus I went for the 11" which I thought might be a bit small for large fields and beaches but it's a happy compromise.   My advice would be, not to be tempted by size. Lots of us have been and regretted it and whatever you do don't go for the NEL Tornado for the Safari.  It's a monster to swing though I know they come even bigger.
I also used the NEL Sharpshooter, a brilliant little coil, worth its weight in gold (though I never found any)  Have a look at the specs supplied by Regtons and bear in mind the weights they give are for the coil ONLY and don't include the fixings or cable.

http://regton.com/nel-coils.html

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 10:35:23 AM »

As Val says the Ultimate is the only way to go on weight if for no other reason, yes the Nel Tornado is an excellent coil but I think the Ultimate still has the edge, this is the field test I did for Detech when it came on the market and that I still stand by Wink

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxtf-O7KMnEnbm5CdkFCQ2RRLWVmNW01cEN1UkYxQQ/edit
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 11:18:17 AM »

Many thanks for the swift replies folks. I have already heard good reports for the SEF Ultimate but was being tempted toward the Nel Big coil but as you say that coil may exaggerate an existing weight problem with the Safari.

Did you ever do that beach test with the coil Geoff?

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 11:24:45 AM »

Not with any great results Chris but that was in the summer and we get a good 2-3 feet of extra sand down here, I did mean to go back but as hard as I might I just can't get any enthusiasm for beach detecting but others use it on the beach with good reports Wink
It's not the SEF it's the Ultimate....different coils Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 11:59:27 AM »

It's not the SEF it's the Ultimate....different coils Wink

Got that; thanks Geoff!

bristolminelab
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 04:55:20 PM »

Ultimate coil rocks on the safari Smiley
david995

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 06:52:09 PM »

how does the 13" ultimate stand up against the 15" sef anyone know ?  i'm assuming a fair bit lighter what about performance ? i use an explorer se

Thanks in advance

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 09:00:59 PM »

It's hell of a lot lighter than the SEF even the 10x12 SEF and far more sensitive to small finds it also has a slightly better ability at tonal discrimination, with the 15" SEF if you had an item with mixed metal say 70% iron and 30% copper it will signal the iron only where the Ultimate gives more of a mixed tone, I wouldn't go back to the 15" SEF now Wink
david995

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 09:14:29 PM »

Thanks geoff ,

Is the ultimate  ok on the beach ? , i find the sef 15" very good unlike the wot which is rubbish on our beaches.

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 09:16:58 PM »

Yes as far as I'm aware it works well, Bedgers uses one
david995

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 09:38:25 PM »

I  noticed in your review you mentioned mineralized ground we have a red soil here that plays havoc does the sef 8x 6 and nel sharpshooter work well on that do you know ?  any differences in those coils ?   so many questions you'll have a headache

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
troutmasterfunk

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 09:41:36 PM »

Ultimate very good all round coil great on beach..
Light weight and deep good ground coverage... Can't ask for much more from a coil really...👍
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 10:05:08 PM »

David. I can vouch for the NEL Sharpshooter on heavily mineralised soil and the beach.  Don't know where you are but my local beaches are covered in bits of foil and shrapnel.   I wouldn't part with mine.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 04:55:30 PM »

The more I hear, the more I am tempted! Perhaps I will place one at the top of my Christmas wish list. I have heard tell that Chefphones sell them; is that true? And if so, at what price?  Wink

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal