Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Talacre Silver today  (Read 12557 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: July 18, 2015, 07:50:06 PM »

I was planning to detect Talacre tomorrow, but heard that the weather man was predicting rain so I decided to give it a go today. Initially I couldn't make up my mind as to which machine to use; the Safari, or the CS4PI. I eventually decided on the Safari and made an early start . Arriving two hours before low tide, I chased the tide out and had it chase me back again.

Fantastic bit of sunshine all day and not too many holiday makers  on the sands. I managed 4 X 10p decimal, 1 X 5p decimal, 1 X 1p decimal,
and a 1950 shilling. Staying away fro the bullet beds; I didn't dig too many projectiles, or shrapnel. Toward the end of the session I unearthed half of a cigarette case and just chucked it in my scrap bag with the rest of the junk that I had recovered

When I got back to the caravan and inspected my finds a little closer, some of the crud had peeled off the cigarette case to reveal a paler grey metal. A quick spitting session, and it took a whole lot o' spit to cover the darned thing.....................wrapped in foil and gently rubbed, the case became so hot I couldn't keep hold of it and the whole caravan stunk of bad eggs!  Shocked  I can't see any hall marks but perhaps once cleaned up I may find some.

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 07:56:41 PM »

Very well done me old mate,smells like you got a nice bit a silver👍
P.S....thanks for beach map of Talacre.👍
Cymro

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 08:08:20 PM »

Nice find!
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 08:18:19 PM »

Could you make out the details on the map? Based on my projectile finds on the seaward side of the dunes, I suspect that the location shown for the air to ground targets may not be totally accurate. The book "Wings Across The Border vol 3 by Derric Pratt & Mike Grant cover the area of North East Wales quite well. I have never come across any land-mines, so the MoD must have done a very good job of clearing the mines in 1945.

"Shipwrecks Of North Wales" by Ivor Wynne Jones is an other good book for information on the area. There is said to be a Roman wreck in Dee Estuary. For a bit of interest...........google  "The Noneparile and the Trevor"  two packet ships lost on the West Hoyle Bank. When I get back to base next week, I will email you some more information. I reckon that we are detecting amongst ghosts!  Wink

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 08:22:53 PM »

interesting post sounds like you had a good day  Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 08:50:02 PM »

I have had better! Grin Strange things going on at the moment though! Since upgrading to the Minelab Safari, I have been finding silver or gold plated silver at Talacr. Not a lot!!!

I half wondered if the cigarette case may have belonged to one of the pilots who were torn apart by the anti-invasion posts, along with their air crafts. Had I realised that it was silver when I dug it up, I would have worked that area with a lot more intensity. I can't see any engraving or hall marks on the case yet.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 08:52:10 PM by Resurgam » Logged

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 10:38:42 PM »

Very nicely done Chris.  I told you the Safari just loves silver.  Maybe you've got the back of the case and the hall marks would have been on the lid.  You'll have to get back and have another go.

The weather forecast has changed for tomorrow. They say it's going to be clear after about 7am and Sunny with light winds for the rest of the day. Of course this is Wales, it could change again if you wait around for an hour or two. Roll Eyes

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 08:39:42 AM »

Good morning Val,
                               well it looks like you were right then, but I can't imagine why it is so. There must be a reason for it's ability to sniff out silver. Now for those hammies!  Grin

I almost passed over the cigarette case. I was idly sweeping along with a gentle buzz in my ears when an almighty rasp sang out and the machine indicated overload. All my other overload signals at Talacre had been very large lumps of rusting iron or aluminium. After hesitating for a moment, I decided to have a peep at the object. Surfacing from a bout eight inched below the sand, it had a light coating of a material that looked rather like rust.

I think that I am going to have to be a lot more observant about my targets that I recover; it could have finished up in the council scrap bin. I am almost always using the cross saved program on the Safari for my beach detecting now. It took a little getting used to the upside down signals...............high note bad...low note good or better! I still refer to the indicator though.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 08:43:05 AM by Resurgam » Logged

wittsy1

Where am I?

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 09:09:59 AM »

Can't beat the sweet smell of silver, well done.
Richie sixpence

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 09:58:07 AM »

Nice finds Chris well done my friend  Smiley

All the best Richie sixpence Wink

"All that glitters is not gold" but hopefully!!!
Garrett AT Pro
C Scope CS4pi
Garrett Ace 150
Garrett Pro Pointer
And hopefully a lot of good luck
Member of, NCMD
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 10:33:35 AM »

Hi Richie,
                we are not due home till Monday night and I was thinking of having a look for the other half, but with two square  miles of sand to go at it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack.  Roll Eyes

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 10:37:28 AM »

Nice finds Chris well done my friend  Smiley

Hi Wittsy,
                I don't know about the sweet smell of silver; I'm lucky that the wife has no sense of smell, otherwise she would have chucked both me and the case out of the caravan.  Roll Eyes

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 02:54:16 PM »

Being more diligent with signals also Chris.  Something I noticed yesterday with the Deus.  Been trying a different program with minor tweak's.   This one has 'full tones'  all 4 of them  Roll Eyes   The signal I got was mixed, grunty iron but with a squeak. Think I dug it out of desperation with a twinge of curiosity.  Was really surprised to see the first object (buckle) in the hole, it being brass, so had another swing over it.  A nice, low grunty iron sound.
So there be the lesson,  listen more attentively and dig just in case. Made me wonder how many others I hadn't dug. Shocked

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 06:36:05 PM »

All good advice Val; thank you. I'm going to give it an other try tomorrow and chase the tide out to low water and then retreat as the tide turns and chases me back up the beach.
I know of one silver hammy that was recovered from the sands here at Talacre; perhaps with my good friend the Safari and it's penchant for finding silver, my luck will be in!  Grin

PS........I still can't find a hall mark on the item. It looks as though it is the back half of the cigarette case, but I imagine that both halves should be hall marked if they are truly silver. Undecided 

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 08:02:11 PM »

Not necessarily Chris. I think it depends on age and maker.  It could have been American, it might make a difference Anyway egg smell is egg smell and you can't change that.

Best of luck tomorrow.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal