Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible votive axe head or scraper perhaps???  (Read 6321 times)
Iron Giant

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 11:02:34 AM »

my FLO has seen it now and wants to record it because it turns out that it's a section of a rapier blade  Shocked

XP Deus v3.2 + 11" Coil
Garrett Propointer
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 04:43:13 PM »

Whey hey!!!part of a rapier,what a great find,very ,very, well done,great find,but my bit a bronze is still a "pot-leg"!!! Cry
Just goes to show,assume nothing,and let those that really know their stuff decide.👍
Iron Giant

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 08:31:23 PM »

Thanks, I am quite pleased  Grin

Now it's been ID'd the piece makes sense, thanks for all the suggestions, the finding out is all part of the fun  Cool

XP Deus v3.2 + 11" Coil
Garrett Propointer
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 10:08:39 AM »

Whey hey!!!part of a rapier,what a great find,very ,very, well done,great find,but my bit a bronze is still a "pot-leg"!!! Cry
Just goes to show,assume nothing,and let those that really know their stuff decide.👍

That"s a bit harsh mate...Without input by people like myself and others who have been in the hobby many years there would be no identification..Where the hell do you think the FLO officers learnt their trade ?.Partly through books,and their own museum collections...But the bulk of their knowledge comes from detectorists in the field who know what partefact is..I hold my hands up and this time I am wrong,but a photo does not give the info ,as holding the actual object does...Rob
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 10:21:25 AM »

That"s a bit harsh mate...Without input by people like myself and others who have been in the hobby many years there would be no identification..Where the hell do you think the FLO officers learnt their trade ?.Partly through books,and their own museum collections...But the bulk of their knowledge comes from detectorists in the field who know what partefact is..I hold my hands up and this time I am wrong,but a photo does not give the info ,as holding the actual object does...Rob

Going through the PAS its surprising how many items are recorded wrong especially coins, and that's by the so called professionals.
I agree Rob there's some very knowledgeable detectorists out there and on the forums Wink   
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 11:24:24 AM »

Going through the PAS its surprising how many items are recorded wrong especially coins, and that's by the so called professionals.
I agree Rob there's some very knowledgeable detectorists out there and on the forums Wink  

I was down at a rally in Oxfordshire a few years ago run by the very professional Weekend Wanders ..The year before they had found a very important Saxons ladies grave..and  when  I was there the field next door was opened  up as part of the rally..About mid day I nticed the arkies ,a film crew,stewards and a big crowd of detectorists had moved into the bottom corner of the fieid...After a wander into the bottom corner and talking to some lads who had not been detecting long but had found some nice Roman coins,but they also had two big signals deep and thought they were hoards hidden under a packed stone surface...Then a JCB arrived and scraped down to the stone surfaces .Igot permission to run my detector over these surfaces  and there was no readings...clean as a whistle as iy was for everybody who tried them.When I got out and heard the female Archeologist explain to t.v. caneras that this was probably a Roman Villa with two hoards buried in the floor of house next to these big post holes..When she had stopped talking to the camera..I pointed out to her that there was no hoards as the lads were probably registering hot rocks and have you thought thes big holes filled with stone ,were actually foot pads to take the uprights in a very fine,but very rare Saxon hall...She laughed and there were rye smiles from the film crew who were listening to my theories
.But I was right when a few days later it was on T.V, that a rare Saxon hall had been found in Oxfordshire by detectorists...The same site and i met up with the guys who found the hot rocks..They were embarrassed ,but I said without you guys it would be lying undiscovered Smiley
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:42:05 AM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 12:11:31 PM »

Brings to mind the huge 'circle' I reported to one of my local Archies.  OOOH   AAARGH  OOOH  was the response. All excited, went away with photographic evidence and then nothing.  It's since been confirmed by LIDAR by another Archie in a different area, info passed on,  still nothing.  I don't need recognition but a polite thank you would have been nice, even if they can't or wont visit the site.

The truth is out there.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal