Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't get bitten!!  (Read 14480 times)
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« on: June 26, 2015, 08:02:15 PM »

Hi to everyone,
Now that Summer is here,and were all getting out in the open air,the fields are now being cut,and the mosquitoes and horseflies can wait to attack us!!
I was fortunate enough to work and play in Spain for ten years+ and learned how to keep these little begger at bay....its cheap to buy easy to get,and easy to apply,its called English lavender water,just spray a bit around your forehead and neck,you can buy it at most chemists,and for a few bob you can buy an atomiser ( Wilco sell them in travel accessories)
That's the reason that the Spaniards grow lavender in pots and strategically place them around their swimming pools,try it,it works,and works really well.
Thanks for reading👍
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 08:06:55 PM »

Good Post Chris Wink or you could just take Taff with you because horsefly's luvvvvvv the taste of Taff  Grin
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 08:07:43 PM »

That's useful info Chris.  Do you think it would work if I tied a few sprigs around my neck  Roll Eyes

Got a beauty on the back of my neck yesterday. I always react badly to them, felt like the Hunch Back of Notre Dam this morning.

I used 100% Deet, watered down for my horse. That worked very well but can be a bit pricey.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »

Well you could Val,it might be a bit itchy after a while,I would stick with with the liquid...lol
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 08:17:20 PM »

Cheers for that Chef,now about this Taff solution,I've heard it don't come cheap,what with horsebox transportation costs to get him up to the fields!!
(No offence meant Taff)👍
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 09:03:23 AM »

Good post there dingdong, I never new that and wil try it I used some spray called Jungle Formula God knows what was in it but it was rubbish and I absolutely stunk needless to say I won't be using it again, some of the horse flies in my field was almost a foot long  Grin Grin I was more worried they would pick me up than sting me lol. Wink
anthonyjay

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 10:54:03 AM »

Good post mate thanks AJ
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 11:15:19 AM »

Good post there dingdong, I never new that and wil try it I used some spray called Jungle Formula God knows what was in it but it was rubbish and I absolutely stunk needless to say I won't be using it again, some of the horse flies in my field was almost a foot long  Grin Grin I was more worried they would pick me up than sting me lol. Wink
Almost a foot long ?? Where have you been detecting , Jurassic park ? 😁😁😁
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 07:54:30 PM »

Wasn't there a place of "research" called....PORTON DOWN !!!who knows what went on there Huh??😷🐁 🐰🐈🐕🐖🐒🐵🐉🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜watch out
HORSE FLIES!!!!!....lol
JBM

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 09:34:05 PM »

Wasn't there a place of "research" called....PORTON DOWN !!!who knows what went on there Huh??😷🐁 🐰🐈🐕🐖🐒🐵🐉🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜watch out
HORSE FLIES!!!!!....lol

In my early 1950`s service days,that was a place where volunteer servicemen went to help find a cure for the common cold.

Well thats what they thought. Angry Sad  Jerry.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 10:16:16 PM »

O.K. right.  Chris tell us where to buy this Lavender Water.  I popped into my local Chemist this morning for some. The nearest I could find was Lavender Au De Par fume £14.79.  I wasn't going to pay that so I raided the horse medi box and found the Deet.
Worked fine with the help of the wind but it tastes vile. Lavender would be much nicer. Will see if I can find instructions on how to make it.

Greg

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 10:32:43 PM »

Try 'Skin so soft' from Avon, they use it up in Scotland to keep the midges away, it works, I have tried it.
Don't know about horse fly's.
jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones

utrinque paratus , Gwell angau na Chywilydd

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 10:37:02 PM »

val just found this on-line
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250ml-PURE-ORGANIC-ENGLISH-LAVENDER-FLORAL-WATER-Incl-FREE-ATOMISER-SPRAY-/171302543514?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27e26d609a

the mighty xp Deus
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 11:07:42 PM »

Just half way through saying 'Thanks for that Jerry' and the power went off.  Frightened me half to death. Sitting here all on my own and suddenly everything went black.

Anyway, I'm going to treat myself (again) and try some, thanks Jerry.

Cymro

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 06:44:45 AM »

Funny thing; when I was a kid we had a lavender bush just outside the back door and it was always full of insects. Maybe they're actually attracted to the lavender and can't be bothered pestering humans? In which case it probably wouldn't be a good idea to go around smelling like lavender . . .

Anyway.

Mrs Cymro used to make things (pillows and such) with lavender in them - bought  dried lavender flowers off eBay pretty cheaply. They apparently grow it as a crop in France.

I'm a real skinflint and will make anything, so I just had a Google for 'making lavender water' and got a whole heap of hits. This was the first one, and it actually says that it works as an insect repellent:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Lavender-Water

We've got some lavender essential oil in, so I'll give it a go anyway cos for some reason I get bitten and stung to death by the insect population (got stung by a bee just two days ago . . . )

Thanks for the tip, dingdong!

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal