Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Procedure... Help req.  (Read 5402 times)
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« on: June 23, 2015, 06:36:02 PM »

Hi to you all,went out with my detecting buddy for our weekly "swing" OK,nothing unusual about that all going well,until I hit this very loud signal,normal things,dig plug,remove plug,pinpoint,still there dig a bit more!!pinpoint, scrape out soil,however,this goes on for over an hour,but this is where it starts to get more interesting, at a depth of About TWO FEET the soil now changes to rocks,these rocks are starting to show signs of burning,still carefully digging,these rocks are totally black with soot,now I am joined by y mate Andy,he now takes over carefully removing yet more "sooted" rocks,only to reveal what looks like an upturned cauldron, we have only revealed an area of about four inches,the couldon seems to be made of iron or bronze,very  difficult to decide.
We decided that this was PERHAPS something a little more special,so we decided to gently "backfill" and take GPS co-ordinates.
What I need to know,please,is what procedure I need to follow, as this a first for me,it could be something or nothing!!
The land is unploughed pasture,never recently/ever ploughed,the "POT became visible at a depth of over two feet six inches.
All procedural advice gladly accepted,
Thanks for looking.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 06:49:29 PM »

You would really need to go back widen the hole and try and identify it in situ as it really could be anything, I think I have the DW record of digging nearly 4 feet in the middle of a pasture field only to find an Electrolux fridge Huh The best bit was when I asked the farmer about it he looked at me as if I'd gone stupid and said he knew nothing about it Undecided
Another time I dug over 2 foot to find a sheet of iron that when tapped sounded hollow, I stabbed through it with the edge of my spade but could see nothing...I sat down and lit a cigarette threw the match in to the hole and got the biggest shock of my life as a huge blue flame shot out of the ground....it had been a cesspit Embarrassed
So check what you've got first as the Archaeologists won't usually move unless it's there is a good description Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 07:05:13 PM »

Hi dingdong, I got to say I would never have filled the hole back in without knowing mate Grin so I guess you have to go back and dig and recover Roll Eyes as Geoff said Archie's won't be interested until they got some thing to go on....so dig it out and stop when you can see a few GOLD coins mate! But make sure you take a few home first to photograph and enjoy, then inform FLO and don't forget to hand the coins in Wink Wink Oh and a good post on here Lol
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 07:32:12 PM »

Thats a good post dingdong
Would iron pots have been used to hoard money in?.....if so, how many detectorists have dug down, seen the rusty iron amd have back filled without further examination??

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 07:46:23 PM »

Thanks for that Nobby,well the thing that intrigues most is the colour of the really burnt,sooty rocks,its as though the fire was a campfire only last week!!only thing is its down at at least two feet six in soil that is completely undisturbed, its just that I have been on archeological digs and I know how important  it is to record it.
This metal thing does seem to have a decorative seam to it,although I can't be sure!!
Anyway, I'll get back out there at some time (shortly) and all will be revealed in the fullness of time.
P.S.I will keep you  posted.
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 07:51:03 PM »

Thanks,Chef and all for your constructive comments,I will get back out there and dig whatever it is....out
To be continued.....👍
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 07:54:38 PM »

Take some pics dingdong as you go along  Smiley

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 08:09:27 PM »

Cheers Nobby,camera,great idea,many thanks👍
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 08:29:36 PM »

Thats a good post dingdong
Would iron pots have been used to hoard money in?.....if so, how many detectorists have dug down, seen the rusty iron amd have back filled without further examination??
Probably not nobby, but it mite get him digging a bit quicker eh  Wink I dug a bucket out at the D/w rally 2 foot nearly killed me and I knew it was a bucket at 1 foot lol, but that bad boy had to come out Wink Smiley
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 08:35:10 PM »

Great thread ding dong well done mate

dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 08:45:02 PM »

Many thanks for that Deadlock..... Will keep you(all)posted
marknewbury1

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 08:56:12 PM »

Many thanks for that Deadlock..... Will keep you(all)posted
keep on digging ding dig good luck Cool
TEZZA

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 09:35:11 PM »

I would widen the hole and take out the soil that you back filled and then use a trowel to expose the top of what ever you have, you might damage it with a spade.  And then decide weather to contact the Archi
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 09:37:19 PM by TEZZA » Logged
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 11:04:36 PM »

Good luck Ding Dong, I can't wait to see the outcome,Hopefully it's something special for you.

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 04:45:55 PM »

ThanksTezza for your comments,yes we intend to go back to the site tomorrow (weather permitting)
Yes that's exactly the way we intend to go about the extraction on whatever lies beneath!!
We have got to be very cautious as it may well be ordanance, in which case we will "leg it" pretty quickly and call the appropriate people !!
Anyway, I will keep DW up to date,also hopefully, with some photographs.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal