Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Roman?  (Read 7068 times)
Cymro

« on: June 11, 2015, 06:23:38 AM »

Well, our previously unproductive permission seems to be showing its hand - we dropped by literally for an hour on the way home from the shore and my buddy dug this up - in the same field which produced the Edward III groat.

We haven't had time to do any more than cursory research on it, as we went on from there to court another prospective permission (which was granted . . .  Wink)

We think it's Roman but no idea what, so we would be grateful for any information at all, along with any advice on cleaning it.

Thanks in advance

* Coin1.jpg (317.61 KB, 1505x1535 - viewed 845 times.)

* Coin2.jpg (384.92 KB, 1624x1704 - viewed 859 times.)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 07:16:14 AM »

A lovely find Cymro it's he of wall building fame Hadrian, as for cleaning just try wiping it with a cotton bud first and see what will come off after that we get in to spells and potions teritory Cheesy
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 08:37:13 AM »

Well it's a denarius, reverse is PM TR P COS III, Victory advancing right - I can't find the exact type on wildwinds (it'll be in RSC no doubt about it) - apparently dated to ~123AD - when the wall was started Smiley

my personal preference to clean this one would be to wrap it in kitchen foil, put it in a pot. Cover it will washing soda, and then pour boiling water over it. Leave it for a while - you'll see the water go scummy and bubbles form on the surface (which you can set fire to if you want). Take the coin out, remove foil, clean with either a horsehair brush / very old tooth brush / cellulose sponge. You might need to repeat this a few times, but you should end up with a nice detailed coin by the looks of it.
wittsy1

Where am I?

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 08:40:28 AM »

That's a very nice Roman, well found to you.
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 08:51:35 AM »

Very nice, great detail!

XP Deus user
Cymro

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 09:18:21 AM »

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I had a look on the internet this morning to see what I could find out about it, but the whole Roman thing seems to be a minefield. I'd worked out from the dimensions that it was probably a denarius but I couldn't see one exactly the same; so thanks  to probono and Chef for the ID and cleaning suggestions.

To my eternal shame I ruined a lovely 1855 Napoleon III Dix Centimes I found last week by trying a cleaning method I found online, so I'm a bit more cautious now . . .  Roll Eyes

The arrangement seems to be that I collect all the rubbish from the sites and my buddy hoovers up the decent finds . . .  Wink Still, so long as one of us does . . .
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 09:39:52 AM »

Just remember ALL cleaning is destructive to some extent so always start with the most gentle method first and some finds deserve their patina which in many cases gives them their character.
Sorry I didn't know you wanted the inside leg measurement lol your coin has a RIC # 101 (or a variant)
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sear5/s3527.html#RIC_0101
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 09:41:51 AM by Chef Geoff » Logged
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 09:44:06 AM »

If you use a very fine grade sandpaper, taking your time you can see what hadrian would have looked like without a beard Grin

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
Cymro

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 09:51:37 AM »

LOL @ Chef and Nobby  Wink

I usually start with a mill file, about 6 teeth to the inch, then progress through a 120 grit belt on my linisher to a 6" wire brush on the bench grinder.

Is that wrong, then . . . ?

Wink

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 10:01:22 AM »

No that sounds OK to me but maybe a Dremel in place of the bench grinder Undecided
Cymro

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 10:07:00 AM »

No, it would take ages to remove all the detail with a Dremel . . .  Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 10:24:32 AM »

Aside from the jokes (and sometimes emery cloth can work wonders) - the denarius is silver, so unless it is a plated or Zinc variety then my cleaning method is pretty gentle (apparently used by museums).

Most of the stuff on that coin looks like iron-pan -it'll be very ncie under that junk Smiley
Cymro

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 10:42:17 AM »

I'm glad you recognised the jokes for what they were. probono  Wink

We can get a good guesstimate of the coin's composition from its weight - we can find its weight and volume, and thence the density of the material so we would know if it was zinc, at least. If it were plated, what would the core be - bronze? Not iron, I'd guess, or it wouldn't be in such good condition after nearly 2000 years.

As suggested, least destructive first.

dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 12:29:31 PM »

Great find Cymru,could do with a Roman down here in Pembroke!!
Hey,anyone out there found any Roman coin down this neck of the woods ?
You can tell me exactly where if you like !!!......LOL!!👍
Cymro

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 02:22:42 PM »

Here you go, dingdong:

"James Phillips, in The History of Pembrokeshire (published 1909), records a find of Roman silver coins in Haverfordwest, the earliest dated coin a Valerian and the latest a Claudius Gothicus."

There's gotta be more . . .

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal