Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Falsing issues on a Golden Mask 4 Pro  (Read 6451 times)
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« on: June 10, 2015, 12:10:40 PM »

Hi All

I recently got a secondhand Golden Mask 4 pro.

On my first outing it was fine, but since then it has falsed almost continuously (as if finding lots of 'high tone' signals).

I've tried different coils, made sure the batteries were charged, tried it with and without headphones, tried manual and automatic ground balance, adjusted discrimination and sensistivity and yet it still falses.

When I was out with it on the weekend it was intermittent, but it made it almost unusable. It seems to be a GB problem - the depth of detection seems compromised, and it only falses when the coil is moved.

So - anyone else had issues like this? I was so frustrated with it I almost lobbed it into a hedge, but it cost me too much to do that with it.

And - I'm not sure about who I can send the thing to to get it looked at / repaired - as there doesn't seem to be much on the net apart from sending it to Bulgaria.
woodbob123

vintage and home made

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 05:29:21 PM »

If you pop it up I can check out joints and suchlike may just be a dry "bad" joint on the coil socket.      Bob
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 06:09:16 PM »

does it false if you point the coil skywards and wave it? if so then as Bob says it could be a "physical" fault if not then a sensitivity issue Wink

Try resting the machine against something with the coil on the floor so that it can't move and turn it on now try just moving the coil wire near both the control box and again near the coil and see if there is any noises emitted Wink
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 07:30:20 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 02:28:10 AM »

Might sound too easy but have you taken the coil cover off to see if there's any muck between it and the coil.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 08:41:54 AM »

I've tried two different coils on the machine - although I did read somewhere that you can get dirt in the connection at the control box.....both coils gave the falsing issue.

I tried moving the coil wire, but that didn't seem to give me problems.

I'm thinking it might be a dry joint somewhere - I haven't tried it with the coil actually pointing skywards, but I did find that by lifting the coil about a foot off the ground it stopped making the falsing noises.

There's no coil cover on these coils (apparently they don't need them according to the manual).

I might call in Bob - although I now realise that because I've been testing it, it isn't in the car at the moment.......

I think it is a physical fault - I've tried turning the sensitivity / discrim up and down quite a few times, with no change to falsing.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 05:39:08 PM »

Hope you get it sorted soon. Good luck and happy hunting.  Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 06:04:12 PM »

Hi Probono,I had similar problem once on the SAFARI, it turned out to be a loose connection between the multy-point connection and the control box.probably not the problem with your machine,nice if it was!!as was easily fixed,good luck mate,and hope you get it sorted without having to send it away.👍
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 07:54:35 AM »

Hi Probono,I had similar problem once on the SAFARI, it turned out to be a loose connection between the multy-point connection and the control box.probably not the problem with your machine,nice if it was!!as was easily fixed,good luck mate,and hope you get it sorted without having to send it away.👍

Interesting. It's certainly worth looking at. I know that if you take it apart and put it back together it works for a while suggesting a loose something.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 08:47:23 AM »

The earthing strain relief on the Minelab FBS is an item on their service check sheet so a known "possible" weak point and I've had issue's on two T2's where the lead entering the plug wasn't as tight as it could be but once tightened up were good to go but you say you've tried moving the coil lead without any result so I have my doubts that if you can't make it sound off by moving the wire it would sound off by swinging but you could try taking the control box part of the stem off and try moving each half on their own to narrow down the faulty area Huh

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal