Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Would You Believe It  (Read 5770 times)
150aceboy
« on: May 23, 2015, 07:13:03 PM »

Well after my friend found a Bronze Age Axe Head Hoard on my permission, its only gone and happened again, not Axe Heads but GOLD !!  Cry

Out again this morning with another Dectecting Wales member (Simon Thomas), we decided to go to one of my permission's as everywhere else the grass was too long etc.

Within the first half hour, i heard him shout GOLD, GOLD,  the lucky git found a George III Gold Quarter Guinea 1762

My best find was a George V Sixpence  Cry not my week uh !!  Grin

* George V Sixpence.jpg (91.15 KB, 420x196 - viewed 1074 times.)

* George III Gold.jpg (91.23 KB, 410x201 - viewed 1395 times.)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 07:16:02 PM »

Cry Cry Cry It's history repeating itself  Embarrassed
 Cheesy
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 07:17:47 PM »

When can I come out with you  Huh  Grin

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
150aceboy
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 07:20:03 PM »

Grin Grin  There we are, one day i suppose  Grin Grin
marknewbury1

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 07:23:11 PM »

When can I come out with you  Huh  Grin
well done you jammy Beggers  Grin

DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 07:30:32 PM »

Has to be done well found

Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 11:08:15 PM »

Unlucky mate, but still a cracking find though. Take no notice of Nobby. invite me first Grin Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 04:46:39 AM »

Fantastic find there - just out of interest - what detector was he using? (not starting a detector war issue here, I'm just interested).

I'm sure your turn will come.

Just think - the field I found my hoard in had been detected for 20 years or so off and on (and by me for 3 or more years).

I'm thinking of starting a topic about those of us who have found gold (more specifically on land) and what machines were used / size of gold items. I know that Dragonsbreath here made an interesting point that it's easier to find low carat items because they have more copper in them - haven't tested that out yet - any comments Chef?
b.buoy
NWDD Member

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 07:51:27 AM »

Superb find Simon Thomas and commiserations Ace (Paul). When I found my half guinea a few weeks ago I had actually invited another detecting buddy to come on my permission with me on that day but he was confined to home for babysit duty.
While it is always good to see an excellent find come out of your permission, I would understand the frustration if it wasn't you that found it.
For the record, I was using my Deus and it wasn't a high number signal, only in the fifties as I remember. A few weeks before, one of our colleagues found a gold noble on a club dig and again it was a low number signal. I checked that lovely coin on the ground afterwards and again it was fairly low numbers for me.
8 1/2 Carat gold

No no

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 08:27:07 AM »

Well done fella you don't know what's in the ground fantastic find happy dayz has that say 👍🏻

Smiley)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 09:12:17 AM »

Ahh this old chestnut  Cheesy Well as gold is not the best conductor, copper and silver are both better, logic dictates that if you were to mix in some copper then the conductivity would go up right? wrong Sad
In metal detecting we are talking about AC electronics not DC which is how most of us learn it at school and in particular "Skin effect" this is the depth of surface of a material that conducts a signal the best and this varies on different metals, also gold alloy isn't a true mix of metals, a bit like oil and water, yes you can put them in the same container but you're never going to truly mix them, this means the the skin effect is never constant as the skin depth is constantly changing and thus increases electrical resistance (opposite of conductance) and thus reduces its conductivity.
Size and shape are critically important too so finding a 9ct ring with a high conductivity and a 22ct ring with a low conductivity means little unless they are identical which is impossible at this microscopic level.
So basically pure gold (let me know if you find some lol) is a better conductor than an alloy Wink
150aceboy
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 02:12:08 PM »

Fantastic find there - just out of interest - what detector was he using? (not starting a detector war issue here, I'm just interested).

I'm sure your turn will come.

Just think - the field I found my hoard in had been detected for 20 years or so off and on (and by me for 3 or more years).

I'm thinking of starting a topic about those of us who have found gold (more specifically on land) and what machines were used / size of gold items. I know that Dragonsbreath here made an interesting point that it's easier to find low carat items because they have more copper in them - haven't tested that out yet - any comments Chef?

The detector used was a Minelab Sovereign Elite, Simon has used this detector for 11 years now, and knows it inside out, it is fitted with an SEF coil. The signal was very scatchy, but just one of those signals you just had to dig lol, hope this helps.

Thanks all for your kind comments Paul  Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 02:32:45 PM »

Brilliant Paul, well done, Ahhh God how I miss my much loved and trusted Sovereign Elite, got rid of it when I got the CTX, I spent many years caressing her in the fields and beaches and she never let me down or cheated on me.  Grin Grin Wink
jaydogg

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 03:32:52 PM »

Nicely done with the gold coin, after 12 years of detecting I am still yet to find one myself.  Sad
sinky

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 04:22:09 PM »

Well done

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal