Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: My treasure find  (Read 31174 times)
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2015, 11:17:44 PM »

Well you were certainly right Roland, that really is a find of a lifetime.and the thought of why it was buried and not retrieved is
intriguing. Have you spoken to LLoyd Bennett [ coins of Britain] about a valuation, I'm sure that he'd be more than willing to help

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2015, 08:55:50 AM »

well done mate good write up , i told ya there was still stuff there  Wink , hope they play the game on the ££

Funnily enough Mark asked me if I had an idea of what it would be worth yesterday at CS,  and gave me some advice on what to do if I want to challenge the valuation.

It went through inquest on 22nd April. Sometime this month it'll go up to the B More,  and then be 6 months to a year, depending if I challenge. The museum might even refuse to pay the valuation at which point I would get them back, but would have to then come to a suitable arrangement with the farmer of course.
If the BM doesn't want them I would have thought that The National Museum of Wales would jump in?

They go up to the BM for treasure valuation. The NMoW is interested in them........
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2015, 09:01:08 AM »

Well you were certainly right Roland, that really is a find of a lifetime.and the thought of why it was buried and not retrieved is
intriguing. Have you spoken to LLoyd Bennett [ coins of Britain] about a valuation, I'm sure that he'd be more than willing to help

Yes, they were found quite a long way from any manor house - the museum have already commented on that. The value (at least of the coins found so far, if there any others) adds up to 2/3 pound (or a Merk) - this is apparently a lawyers fee (and was until the mid 19th century).

I also didn't mention that the latest coins are from the mid 1360s - and very few have seen any circulation (the earliest 1/4 noble, a series B has some wear) - there doesn't seem to be any real unrest mentioned then either......

I haven't spoken to Lloyd - my question here, was to see what DW members thought more than anything - I'm president of the South Wales and Mon Numismatic Society, so have some idea from my own collecting, and that august body Smiley (although LB is a member too).
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2015, 09:45:24 AM »

Fingers crossed the valuation is a fair and realistic one Roland, It's good to see them up "at last" lol and well done again.
I know without a time machine it's impossible to say why it was hidden and just a natural cause of death could be the reason but given that the owner had the time and presence of mind to hide it it's worth noting that the plague makes a return visit to Britain in the early 1360's and hangs about for a few years also Edward the Black Prince was doing his thing out in France at that time and so there would have been far more money about from returning troops which means that the original owner could quite well have been from the "peasantry"   Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2015, 09:06:07 PM »

So, I've had a 'preliminary' valuation from the BM (which they will recommend to the TVC).

£5620.

I feel they've come up with a fair valuation for the silver (they value some of the groats at £250 - although this one is only the second known) but apart from one quarter noble (of which the last known specimen was sold in 1972 in the Doubleday Collection) which they valued at £920, all the rest were around £500. I think the gold has been undervalued - the half noble which is one of the best I have seen was graded at VF - despite almost all the coins being described in the report as 'unworn' - interestingly they have made no distinction between a VF York groat and VF London groat.......
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2015, 09:25:49 PM »

Well,what a brilliantly composed account of events,just GREAT!!👍
And as for the "HOARD"... Speechless!!!and that coming from me..WELL!!👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👍
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2015, 09:33:14 PM »

Just as an added note, the coin in the first image has been graded as good fine  / almost VF, whilst the second coin has been graded as 'VF'

Now personally I would disagree with both of these gradings - the first too high, the second far too low...

I realise that the grading is subjective, but.......

* ScreenHunter_70 Aug. 06 22.29.jpg (74.29 KB, 619x582 - viewed 662 times.)

* ScreenHunter_70 Aug. 06 22.30.jpg (103.5 KB, 758x756 - viewed 657 times.)
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2015, 09:35:56 PM »

Roland when we spoke I averaged the silvers to be £200 each =£2000 (I know there's a couple of pennies)........ £700 each for the quarters =£2800........ and £2000 for the half noble = £6800

I think your a little short to be honest
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2015, 09:40:42 PM »

Roland when we spoke I averaged the silvers to be £200 each =£2000 (I know there's a couple of pennies)........ £700 each for the quarters =£2800........ and £2000 for the half noble = £6800

I think your a little short to be honest

I too valued the half at £2k - they claim it is only VF and compare it to one that was clipped down to 3.3grams that went for £1500 (although mentioning another in the same sale that was 'EF' that went for £3k). I also valued the quarters higher than £450-£520 - although again it depends on which sale you look at - the best of the grades I got was a GVF, but a slight bend at the edge - that one they valued at £520.

What did you think of their grades for the two coins above?
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2015, 10:00:49 PM »

Great story Roland, cracking hoard well done Wink
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2015, 10:02:20 PM »

Il take all 4 quarters at that price please!!

You should be able to read the legends even on a fine condition coin, you could say fine condition if your selling for coin 1...... Coin 2 has got to be EF in my opinion you don't get many like that atall.

I got told my Ed1st farthing was pushing EF if you look at the long cross its raised like a point what's rarely seen, I doubled the VF book price when I sold it

* 009.JPG (114.19 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 626 times.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 10:06:44 PM by Dale » Logged
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2015, 10:07:55 PM »

I've noticed in the past it depends if your buying or selling, a coin that's EF when buying will only be VF when selling....according to the dealers that is Wink
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2015, 10:10:07 PM »

I've noticed in the past it depends if your buying or selling, a coin that's EF when buying will only be VF when selling....according to the dealers that is Wink

True
TEZZA

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2015, 10:41:54 PM »

AMAZING great find.Lets hope your rewarded there true value BRILLIANT
johnus brummieus maximus

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2015, 12:00:35 PM »

Hoards always come when you least expect them

* 1st hoard.JPG (69.1 KB, 600x600 - viewed 918 times.)

Married to wife Shirley have two children Jamie and Lewis do enjoy rallies skype: john.paul.williams2

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal