Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st permission in Wenalt  (Read 3355 times)
mudskipper

hi from newbee

« on: May 08, 2015, 05:55:09 PM »

Got my 1st permission today Wenalt near Rhiwbina, theres acres and acres of land i got permission for but not really shore of the history of the place, does anybody know any history of this area? and would it be worth detecting? i went out for a couple of hours today and got lots of farm scrap and a 2p Embarrassed .
Cymro

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 06:39:33 PM »

Sorry, I can't personally comment on the actual location - I'm at the other end of Wales!

I take it you've looked at Wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhiwbina

There's a bit of history there, but it depends where your permission is exactly in relation to the activity.

If you go into the 6" OS maps of 1898 you can at least see what was there 100+ years ago:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/102183603

The map is zoomable and can be dragged sideways and up and down. I'd be looking for old roads that aren't there any more, old buildings, fords - that kind of thing. Might save a lot of fruitless searching if you can target promising areas.

Good luck with your new permission!
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 07:13:21 PM »

Alright mudskipper
Ask the farmer if the land has been tipped on.
...part of the fun is building up a history of the land with the things you find
Keep us informed  Wink

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
Chainsaw Bampy

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 07:41:33 PM »

hi mudskipper i live about 2 miles from the wenault area, i have permision about a mile from the wenault and haven,t found much but saying that haven,t got out much,due to work and missus going shopping, lol. however caerphilly area has as you know got a castle, also castle coch not far away about 4 miles as the crow flies, there is also ruperra castle a few miles away near rudry [draethan]  also another ruin rumored to be castle remains wenault area,althou ruperra castle a no go area for md, i tried,  hope this helps.
mudskipper

hi from newbee

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 11:46:00 AM »

Thanks for the replies guys.... been a great help. Just found out theres history of an iron age settlement, Norman mote and roman artifacts have been found. So will have to get the hours in. Grin
sinky

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 11:56:39 AM »

Well done on your land you have enjoy  Cool
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 01:01:53 PM »

a hoard of matilda coins were found in that area in the 1980's , seriusly rare coins , made almost 100k back then via treasure trove etc  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

so who knows whats up there , get stuck in and good luck fella  Smiley

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
marknewbury1

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 02:19:09 PM »

Good luck keep hitting it  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

midastouch

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 02:20:15 PM »

This may be helpful.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore

Type in your area in the box on the left and you can view an old map and by using the transparency slider, you can compare the map with an up-to date one.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 03:48:39 PM »

I used to work at the crematorium just down from there Smiley Never asked for permission on any of the surrounding farms - there's Castell Morgraig behind the Traveller's Rest, but I'd heard the farmer wasn't agreeable to any kind of searching (I could well be wrong).

Beyond that, as Mike said there was a large hoard of Matilda / Stephen pennies found in the '80s - many rare Cardiff and Swansea mint coins, not sure where it was found, although like many things there are rumours Smiley

Caerphilly Road out of Cardiff is meant to be a roman road going to the fort in Caerphilly, on one map I looked at there were mentions of roman remains in the woods further along - either side of the top of Pantbach road.

It's border country between the Welsh and the invaders too, so you never know. I'd have thought as well, given the tumuli on the Garth, I can't see why there shouldn't be similar things on the Wenallt - certainly some good views over the channel from some places up there.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal