Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammy number two...  (Read 4609 times)
troutmasterfunk

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 04:19:30 AM »

Cheers guys....😝👍
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 04:30:50 AM »

Great news - it goes that way sometimes - and I think it is a case of now you know what a hammy sounds like on your detector you are more likely to find one.

There was (is) a field that I detected for two years before I found anything, and I detected it for about 3 1/2 years before I found a hammered coin in it - and as you might have seen in the news, I then found a few more - that was four years into detecting in that field - and even after all of that, I still missed a denarius that Mike found (I'd managed 2 roman silvers in that field).

About the last thing I found there was part of a bronze age axe head - mad - how could I have missed all that stuff?
troutmasterfunk

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 05:59:03 AM »

As you say once you know what they sound like...
God only knows how many low tones I haven't dug over the years...
Wen looking for silver I was waiting for a sweet high tone...
Little did I know lol...👍
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 08:42:10 AM »

well done mr trout cracking as said there like buses, hope you get a few more too at this rate you will overtaking MR CHEF,  Grin Grin Grin Grin Roll Eyes

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 08:58:42 AM »

Strange you both should mention that Probono and Trouty.  On the way home from the last rally, John and myself were discussing my lack of a certain item and he suggested I ask someone who'd got one if we could re-bury it, carefully protected, of course, so I could run over it and see what it sounded like or if it even registered on the settings I'm using.
I often wonder if I've walked over any and not recognised the tone. Do they sound the same as, lets say, a Bull head 6d. ??

Val
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 09:17:14 AM by Val Beechey » Logged

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
b.buoy
NWDD Member

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2015, 09:44:38 AM »

Hi Val
I do actually carry a small battered hammy in my finds box. It goes in a polythene bag and I have many times buried it on site and at various depths so I could be assured that my settings on the day would still detect it.
It is a different noise and always a lower reading.
I confess that I haven't found many hammys with my Deus yet but feel assured that is mainly because I haven't swung the search coil in the right places. Also, and possibly like yourself, I have problems getting up and down to dig signals and only cover half the ground and dig speeds that most others do.
My Deus has the 9 inch head and I might do better with the 11 inch but cant really justify the extra £300 odd to buy the 11 inch new. I would happily buy a 2nd hand 11 inch if they were about but they are like hens teeth.
troutmasterfunk

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 09:54:23 AM »

Almost a foil tone val...👍
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2015, 01:22:58 PM »

If I've understood the instructions correctly I don't think I've missed much.  I have set discrim. at 29 and iron volume at 0. Reactivity at 3.  I aim to dig anything above that as long as I can get a 2 way signal. (Farmers take exception to swimming pools in their fields)
Foil comes in above that, at abt. 34 but varies, so unless it's very deep I can't see how I could miss anything good.  I think I probably answered my own question when I told Dylan,  'Ignore iffy signals with the Deus at your own peril'

If I'm proved wrong it means I've got a lot of fields to re-visit.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 04:35:06 PM »

hope you get a few more too at this rate you will overtaking MR CHEF,  Grin Grin Grin Grin Roll Eyes

That won't be hard....mind you if I actually got of my arse and did some detecting it would help Grin

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal