Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: DetectingWales.com - Rally Number Six Highbridge 14/06/09. The Sunburnt Rally!  (Read 15273 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: June 14, 2009, 07:07:46 PM »

We set off in glorious sunshine for another rally over the bridge in the sleepy area of Highbridge. As is the norm on Detecting Wales rallies, Helios was contacted and scorching hot sunshine had been secured for the day. They say the sun only shine on the righteous, so how we can arrange this everytime I will never know.

Following the usual pay up, sign up, go there, go here, heres the history, we were off! Lots of pastured fields, which I don't think had been ploughed for a good number of years. The site was in the shadow of the Celtic and Roman Hill Fort of Brent Knoll though, plus we had Roman occupation very near the farm, so expectations were quite high

First find of the day I saw was Terry with bizzarely a New Zealand two dollar coin - what that was doing in a field in Highbridge is anyones guess. I'm sure turning over the turf and seeing a gold coin shining at him was a fair old shock, thankfully Terry recovered though.

We next saw a few Vicky pennies and half pennies, a Georgian copper and a nice cartwheel penny.

Next find of note was a silver sixpence to Jeff Stock that I forgot to get a photo of . I soon joined the silver club, with only my second ever florin - dated 1933 - so a 50/50 silver content. I was happy all the same as it just about ticks a silver box for June.

Buckles were the order of the day - with a lovely one from Tyna, another from The Doc along with a nice looking trade weight

There was also a bit of a theme with silver coated lead - sounds odd? Well it was. Dennis had a silver plated lead mount, Debbie had a silver plated badge/mount of some kind and I also had a silver plated lead whatsit at the end. Sounds to me like the farm workers were skint, but wanted to give the appearance of silver items, so bought lead with silver plate.

Onto the real silver in the shape of a corking silver spoon found by one of our Newbies - sorry I forget your name. Lovely looking spoon and George III at a guess - I'll get the Hallmarks book out later. Find Of The Day in my book! Wink

Another newbie (I think called Roy) had a lovely old bronze item - that I have seen before, but for the life of me can't remember where. Someone suggested off a money pouch - I'm sure someone here will know.

Malcom.mmts had a hoard of spindle whorls found pretty close together - I think it was 8 in total. I personally think its whats left over from a loom that has been burnt or thrown out. Nice find though.

Someone had a complete horses bit and we joked about him using it on the wife to keep her quiet - I know mine would find a way around it though! Grin

Another decent find was a larger copper token in lovely condition which should clean up nicely.

The day was coming to a close, and I saw Ancient Pat at the end taking a well earned rest, but even he couldn't work his hammered magic on this rally! So where were the hammered coins I hear you asking? Oh, they were there, believe you me, just too deep for us. We can't have a Silver Fest every time, but we thought with it being less than a mile from the Rooksbridge one we would have a few. Oh, well next Rally hopefully, and we'll even guarantee the sun again!

Thanks for joining us, I hope you all had a good day out.

Cheers
Neil

P.S. I have just had a shower and it looks like I am modelling a white vest - my arms, neck and calfs however are red as hell! And to think I never burn - my cars outside temperature gauge reached 79 degrees farenheit at one point today!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 07:22:45 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 07:09:02 PM »

Tyna and docs buckles

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 07:10:50 PM »

Debbies silver plate

Silver spoon

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 07:12:35 PM »

Bronze item - can anyone confirm what it is?

Malcolms Hoard

1933 florin

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 07:14:08 PM »

Horse Bit

Token

Detectorists

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 07:15:15 PM »

Oxon Shoe

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 07:16:17 PM »

well done to everyone today  i especially like the florin  well done niel 

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
altinkum

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 07:19:45 PM »

nice finds the bronze object could be a dagger guard

explorers, my arse
DIG IT! (ADIE)

X-TERRA 70 user explorer 11

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 07:23:45 PM »

Nice finds everybody and well done on another good report and pictures neil Grin

Heavy metal nut that digs loads of iron
silky

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 07:33:48 PM »

well done on your finds folks ,thanks for pics and report neil.
proconsul
Proconsul

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 07:37:27 PM »

Another excellent report, Neil. To my knowledge three people found ox shoes. Is there still one to be found there or was it a three legged ox?

Geoff
zorro
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 07:39:42 PM »

well done you lot. sounds like you had a great day, and you had the weather with you as well. Cheesy
Debbie

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 07:46:03 PM »

Great day out - well organised Geoff, Neil and Tafflaff. Cheesy
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 07:49:24 PM »

DIG IT he lost that shoe m8 Grin Grin
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 07:49:56 PM »

Tafflaffs(Robs) Hammered Lizzy ii

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal