Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Read any good metal detecting books lately?  (Read 2052 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: April 18, 2015, 10:35:00 AM »

Some time ago, whilst still detecting with the EuroAce and CS4PI, I purchased copies of Advanced Detecting by the Norfolk Wolf and the MinLab Quatro & Safari Handbook by Andy Sabisch. I found the Wolf's book very readable and entertaining. As for the handbook by Andy Sabisch; it's a great shame that dealerships don't include it with their packages when selling the Safari!  Smiley

For my seventieth birthday, I received a number of Amazon £25 tokens as birthday presents and bought two books by David Villanueva; Site Research and Successful Detecting Sites. Unlike the other two books; I haven't yet had enough time to really evaluate the value of the books to my needs.  Undecided

I also recently stumbled upon an electronic internet detecting magazine called "Detecting365". Thinking that It made great reading for newbies and some of us older detectorist; I posted it's title on an other detecting forum, only to be castigated and have my thread removed!  Shocked

I have learned a great deal hear at Detecting Wales and always found the support and help offered by other members to be of the greatest assistance in my progress to becoming a more knowledgeable and successful metal detectorist.

It would be of great interest to learn if any members can recommend some good metal detecting books, or internet sites.

A great many thanks, in advance of your replies.
                                                                                     Chris. Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 07:12:14 PM »

Hi Chris, only just found this post.  I must admit to not reading books much these days. There's so much on the internet and I tend to stay awake longer when reading from a screen.
I found this site not long after I started detecting and found it quite an interesting read.  I know it's American but a lot of the suggestions and advice are just as good for this country and many I hadn't even thought of at that time. Have a look through, at your leisure. Link below.

http://gometaldetecting.com/

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 07:58:12 PM »

Thanks Val, I will have a look at that site; sounds similar to "detecting365".

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 08:09:27 PM »

Although the technical aspects of metal detecting are a law unto themselves  where to detect and site research are just pseudo archaeology and so books that focus on landscape archaeology are well worth reading. Most villages, settlements and farms conform to some basic rules as far as layout is concerned and needed to to operate efficiently and getting to know how a settlement worked can not only lead you to productive areas but also explain why finds are where they are, books I would recommend (you don't need all of them) are...

"Interpreting the Landscape" by Mick Aston
"The New Reading of the Landscape" by Richard Muir
"The Making of the English Landscape" by W.G. Hoskins
 Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 08:40:08 PM »

Thanks Geoff, I will look into those. Of the three; which would you give priority to reading?

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 08:45:48 PM »

Ooh? I think the one I found most eye opening was "The Making of the English Landscape" by W.G. Hoskins as it has a bit more of the social history in it and so explains "Why" a little better Wink
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 08:56:47 PM »

And I've just noticed you can get the new edition on Kindle too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Making-English-Landscape-Classics-Library/dp/1908213108
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 09:18:22 PM »

Very timely Geoff; I down loaded a bit of software that allows me to read Kindle books on my laptop last month. Next stop Amazon.  Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal