Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Leominster lead tokens  (Read 1081 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« on: April 14, 2015, 01:42:09 PM »

As Nonker has said on another thread one of the most intriguing parts of metal detecting for many is the questions it poses as to the why and how finds come to be where they are and one of these must be the shear amount of lead tokens found at the Leominster rally Huh
Firstly the possible answer comes more from Deadlock than from me and they aren't really tokens as that implies they are in place of something, these are tallies and were used during harvest when gathering crops that could be measured in units ie bushels, baskets etc and so a type of "Piece work" these were then exchanged for cold hard cash at the end of a day, a week, harvest?
My immediate thought was Herefordshire = apples Grin but Deadlock with far more local knowledge said "Hops" and it looks as if he could be right.
This link is to the Herefordshire page relating to hop growing and as you can see Leominster was a major producing area.
http://htt.herefordshire.gov.uk/551.aspx

And this takes you to a PDF from kent archaeology from 1953 relating to the use of "hop tokens"
http://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Pub/ArchCant/Vol.066.1953/066-06.pdf

I've got to say here though conterary to what Neil said the pellet design has no bearing on age as it was still being used well into the 19th century Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal