Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Putting the Safari out to grass  (Read 4867 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: March 25, 2015, 08:22:04 PM »

Well, having now run the Safari over my regular beach several times I can't wait to get out there again and follow up on some of my research; but being restricted to base for a week or two I have decided to give R2D2 an other chance to perform on pasture and see if I can understand it's language on grass a little better.

* Safari 01.jpg (213.6 KB, 458x704 - viewed 231 times.)

* Safari 02.jpg (210.68 KB, 491x715 - viewed 222 times.)

* Safari 03.jpg (197.85 KB, 487x696 - viewed 225 times.)

* Safari 04.jpg (205.5 KB, 436x707 - viewed 281 times.)

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 08:49:10 PM »

Well, having now run the Safari over my regular beach several times I can't wait to get out there again and follow up on some of my research; but being restricted to base for a week or two I have decided to give R2D2 an other chance to perform on pasture and see if I can understand it's language on grass a little better.

Those bloody bullets do your head in, Cry Cry but what can you do they got to be dug, well done and good luck inland mate. Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 08:55:50 PM »

Thanks Spikey,
                           I'm going to give it a couple of hours on an old sports ground on Friday morning and then move on to pasture in the afternoon, but I can hardly wait to get back on that beach and follow up on some research that may reduce the number of projectiles and increase some better finds. The coin to bullets ratio is already starting to improve and if my research is correct; I may even be able to winkle out some hammered silver!  Wink

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 09:09:03 PM »

Best of luck with it Chris.  I always preferred field to beach with mine.  I know it might be expecting a lot but if you can bear to run it in All Metal with Disc at 20  and be prepared to dig anything above -10  I can guarantee you wont miss a thing.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 10:52:21 PM »

Thanks for the advice Val; I will give it my best on grass but can't wait to get back on the sands and follow up on some ideas for improving my finds. The coins to scrap ratio is already improving and I'm betting that I may even be on track for a hammy or two.  Grin

dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 07:15:08 PM »

Well Chris when I read your heading "putting safari out to grass" I thought that you had ditched your safari for something else,well I have sold my Safari, just couldn't get on with it at all,I do understand that it is a very popular and successful machine,but again,I never understood R2D2(star wars thing)either!!
I decided to go a bit "retro" and got myself a virtually new Minelab "SovereignGT", why,well its so easy to set up and once its set up its fine on the
same settings be it land or wet beach sands and it takes away the time trying to understand all those sounds and trying to read the screen trying to comprehend a lot of " pixels "which are obliterated by bright sunlight!!!
I do follow your progress with your Safari,and I do wish you all the very,very best of luck and good fortune in all your future detecting ventures.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 11:48:33 PM »

Well, over recent years I had become disappointed with my beach detecting with the CS4PI and the EuroAce. The CS4PI had me digging great holes for all sorts of scrap and the EuroAce just couldn't hack it on wet sand; but having said all that, I was more than pleased with the performance of my EuroAce/Nel Tornado coil combination on pasture and ploughed. After many months of reading and deliberation I eventually decided on the MineLab Safari to replace both the CS4PI and the EuroAce. March the 30th being my 70th birthday I anticipated the Safari would be my last detector purchase; that is unless my Premium Bonds come up, or I find a hoard!  Grin

The Safari has been something of a steep and rugged learning curve for me and initially it had been disappointing and frustrating whilst detecting with it on my permissions. Having said that; I have been thrilled by it's performance on my regular beach. I have found that the Safari has improved my coin to WWII scrap ratios and it has sniffed out coins and cheep jewellery from areas were I had previously worked my other two detectors. It has also been satisfying to be able to move from dry sand to wet and back without ant major problems.

Tomorrow I am intending giving R2D2 a run round some pasture and see if my exercises on the beach have improved my understanding of it's strange language. Initially, I am tempted to think that I may keep the EuroAce for fields detecting and use the Safari solely for the beach.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 07:45:42 AM by Resurgam » Logged

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 07:36:32 AM »

Never made it to the pasture. My wife, who has been battling a chest infection since September, suddenly became violently ill and eventually commenced haemorrhaging. After a quick consultation with a Dr they had her whisked off to our local hospital and they are conducting a whole load of test to try and discover the root of the problem. Following intravenous antibiotic infusions and saline drips, she appears to be improving; but on the day of the crisis she didn't look as though she would make it through the weekend!

Pretty much out of the game for a while but keep dropping in here after hospital visits and perhaps first thing in the morning. Hit the big 70 yesterday and spent most of the evening here with you guys!  Smiley

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 08:33:08 AM »

I'm sorry to hear that Chris, it seems slightly inappropriate to wish you a belated "Happy" Birthday but fingers crossed and hoping that your wife makes a speedy recovery and you can both celebrate it then Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 08:59:48 AM »

So sorry to hear that Chris. You must be very worried. At least you can rest assured she is in the best place and they will get to grips with whatever is causing the problem.

My 70th is coming up shortly but I hope to be able to 'celebrate' it more appropriately than you, fingers crossed. My birthday treat is going to the next Rally. Watch out for all the gold coins. Roll Eyes

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 09:36:06 AM »

Blimey Chris that's terrible! Hope she's on the mend.

XP Deus user
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 11:30:56 AM »

Thanks for the kind words folks; I have just spoken with the wife over the phone and they have now stopped the saline drip and the intravenous antibiotics. She is now on oral antibiotics and is moving around her isolation room under her own steam. Still not certain what the nasty bug was (or is) but initially they were concerned that we had not been to West Africa, or in contact with anyone who had recently returned from their and been not well.  Shocked

dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 05:23:30 PM »

Hi Chris, just been reading about your wife's illness,very sorry to read that she has been so ill,but very glad to hear that she is on the up and up to make a full recovery.mind you,I still say that a minelab sovereign is better than an old safari...lol,chin up me old mate!!😀
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:34:17 PM by dingdong » Logged
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 11:40:28 PM »

Our thoughts are with you both Chris, It's worrying when something like this happens, but glad to hear that she's a bit better Wink

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
dingdong
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 06:25:27 PM »

Hey good buddy,how are you doing?or more to the point how is your Mrs getting on?
Hope everything turns out better than you could even wish for.
Biggest best wishes buddy,Chris.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal