Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ornamental lead?  (Read 1997 times)
Cymro

« on: March 07, 2015, 08:29:31 AM »

Hi Guys,

Out with the detector last week when I dug up a big lump of very decorative lead - it weighs over half a pound . . .

I caught it with the point of my spade so it's got a dent from that on it, but it was curled up as it is in the photos when I found it. Looking at the back of it, it's not smooth as if it were rolled or stamped, rather it's rough as though it was open cast against a patterned mould.

Not a clue as to its use or history - is it some kind of architectural element (from the size and weight) - like part of some fancy guttering . . . ? Can't see how it's been attached to anything - no holes in it anywhere, unless there was a 'stem' at whichever was the top or bottom. And are the 'plumes' feathers or palm leaves . . . ?

It was found in an open field, quite a way away from any old houses, but maybe 1/4 mile away from where an old hall once stood, demolished in 1913 IIRC. Maybe the rubble was spread over surrounding fields? The soil around contains bits of old, soft brick right down to the clay.

Anybody got a clue, please?

* Lead1.jpg (163.65 KB, 761x571 - viewed 550 times.)

* Lead2.jpg (163.15 KB, 761x571 - viewed 559 times.)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 12:07:53 PM »

I couldn't help wondering if it comes from the framework of a leaded lamp shade or window?

Perhaps size and weight would exclude the above!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 12:09:28 PM by Resurgam » Logged

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Cymro

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 12:24:17 PM »

Well, I'm kind of hoping someone will come back and say the pattern is typical of a certain style, movement or period - Victorian, Georgian, Art Deco etc. If I knew its approximate age its function may follow . . .
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 12:33:07 PM »

It was Art Deco or Art Nouveau that came to my mind but I am probably wrong!  Undecided

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Cymro

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 02:06:33 PM »

The styles I cited were only examples of what it could have been, but now that you mention it (and now that I've looked up the genres on the Wiki . . . ) Art Nouveau seems the more likely, having organic origins.

The years when Art Nouveau were popular were late Victorian, which sort of ties in with my feeling of the period, but of course that's only a guess. I would have thought though that in that era, post Industrial Revolution, it would probably have been stamped or pressed rather than cast . . .  Undecided

Oh, and the hall was built in the middle of the 18th Century and demolished in the 1920s, according to 'Lost Houses of Wales,' and it's probably nearer 1/2 mile than 1/4 . . .

Dunno . . .
Cymro

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 01:37:40 PM »

OK - it looks like I beat the Doc . . .

Do I get a prize?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal