Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunday morning  (Read 3660 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: February 23, 2015, 11:58:44 PM »

Took the new Safari for a jaunt on the sand Sunday morning but couldn't manage any treasure. The best I could do was a 1919 penny, a 1p decimal, a pound coin, a load of WWII scrap, and a child's sterling silver ring. Oh; and one lead fishing weight!  Grin

Slowly getting used to the Safari, but I can't help wondering if it is going to punch as deep as the CS4PI.  Undecided

* Sunday am.jpg (226.67 KB, 511x723 - viewed 886 times.)

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 08:59:31 AM »

Hi Chris,  Well done on your finds on Sunday. Not bad at all.

As far as 'punching as deep as the CS4PI'  then no, no, and no.  It's a full band frequency machine which is excellent at differentiating metals but will not be anywhere as deep as the PI.  Obviously I don't speak from personal experience but I know from the depth I dig compared to what I read.  I think Chef Geoff will agree.

But I do remember you saying you were fed up digging deep holes for rubbish.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 09:27:15 AM »

Good morning Val  Smiley

thanks for your swift reply. My regular beach is so full of WWII leftovers, years of discarded metal scraps, and modern tourist's rubbish, that the CS4PI becomes a nightmare without the discrimination that other machines have and ( as you know ) the Euroace has fits if you show it wet sand. I am well impressed with the Safari on the beach but will be keeping the Euroace as a backup machine.

I had been thinking of selling on the CS4PI, but then began to wonder if it's worth keeping just for clean beach areas? Using the Safari on Sunday, I dug very little iron whilst using coin mode with 40 blocked out. There was, of course, the odd piece of rusty iron pretending to be a good target!  Roll Eyes

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 09:46:38 AM »

Nice thing about the Safari, Chris, is that you can increase the Sensitivity and squeeze a bit more depth and keep ground balance. Plus you can at least recognise brass when you get it  Roll Eyes at least it's worth something.
I still have to discover if I can achieve the same with the Deus. At the moment I see it as a step backwards. I seem to have got the beach sorted but not sure if I've lost depth with the change of settings. Fields, at the present, are a pain. It's like running the Safari in all metal and being told that every chunk of old iron is a gold hoard as it registers as conductive with a high tone.
Still I s'pose I'll eventually get used to it. I remember hating the Safari for months. Main attraction of the Deus is the weight. I can't fault that. 
If I had your choice I'd sell the Euroace. You never know where you might want to take a PI machine and be glad of it.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 01:13:12 PM »

Interesting that you should say that about the Deus Val; I was feeling pretty much the same about the Safari. Being honest; I had similar problems when I first started using the Euroace but soon learned to love it. I suppose that it is all about learning curves and practice. I can get away with the safari on maximum sensitivity whilst detecting the beach but the darned thing takes a dickyfit if I try the same settings on pasture. I can't move a foot without it warbling and wurbling; so run it about 16 sensitivity and try to slow down my swing and advance. As with the Euroace; I will get there eventually.

Me thinks that I will be keeping both the CS4PI and the Euroace for the time being. I would hate to be without a detector if the Safari is out of action, and I think the CS4PI will come into it's own on the low tide line and on cleaner beaches. I plan on doing some beach testing of the Safari v the CS4PI and seeing which actually detects deepest.

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 01:36:36 PM »

A Pi will always find small items deeper as they aren't camouflaged by mineralisation like they are to a VLF machine however as you start getting up around the size of a pre decimal penny then things start evening out Wink
marknewbury1

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 01:59:50 PM »

I val keep using the xp on the pasturefields iron 4+5+6 +789+13 down is loud sound a coin the same 4 to 10 is  a high quit signal
Richie sixpence

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 12:24:18 PM »

Nice finds Chris, nice to see you are still getting to the beach  Smiley

All the best Richie sixpence Wink

"All that glitters is not gold" but hopefully!!!
Garrett AT Pro
C Scope CS4pi
Garrett Ace 150
Garrett Pro Pointer
And hopefully a lot of good luck
Member of, NCMD
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 06:25:47 PM »

Hi Richie,
                it tends to be hit and miss if I'm going to get down to the beach. A lot depends on the weather, the tides, and the wife's mood at the time of contemplating a day's beach detecting! It presently looks as though I will be down there tomorrow. I will walk through to presthaven via the path and work my way back to the lighthouse detecting the high tide line as I go.

You are more than welcome to join me. I will be starting early though!  Wink

Jonnietaz

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 07:44:53 AM »

From my experience, the safari is deeper then the 4pi, but again that's my experience, my beaches.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 05:29:38 PM »

Well, me, I don't know! What I can say is this.......I took R2D2 down to the beach again this morning and ran it over some areas that I have worked with both my EuroAce and my C-Scope CS4PI. I got loads of copper projectiles and pieces of copper shrapnel. I also got £3.54p in decimal coins, a tatty cheap ring, a doggy tag, and what looks like a heart shaped gold pendant.

I am presently cleaning the Pendant / locket in an ultrasound bath but am beginning to doubt that it is made of gold; it has some small areas that look a bit like copper verdigris and it is caked in gritty sand.

* Bit o Tat.jpg (201.27 KB, 513x725 - viewed 226 times.)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 05:35:49 PM by Resurgam » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal