Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alnage seal  (Read 5527 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« on: October 31, 2011, 09:53:52 PM »

Before today I have only ever found two complete cloth seals, both of which were Queen Anne and thus quite easy to id. Then today I found no3 which I can't track down or what the quarter mark means. Any thoughts Huh

The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 11:34:35 PM »

These seem to be commonest from the reign of Anne, and after her, George I. This however looks like Charles II or William III. Can you make out any more of the legend - looks to read    '..ORE...' ?
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 12:02:16 AM »

Well looking at it under the microscope,I'm tempted to say it's "NG", which would make it Oreng, I'm wondering if this could be a corruption of Orange for William III. I am pretty sure it's an N but I could be being lead by what I know, rather than what it says. Huh
jtalbot0001

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 10:14:23 AM »

Hey Chef, nice find by the way. Not that I know anything about these things, but after browsing around, my conclusion would be that this one is from George 1st. I say this for the following reasons. First it seems they kept the orientation of monarchs the same as that of coins. Now there is a taxation mark applied to the seal, which was abolished in 1724, so from this we can work backwards and say this could be George 1st, William 3rd or Charles 2nd. Also it seems they abbreviated the legends of monarchs in most cases (when applied of course!) [Anne is a verry good example, normally it is "AN"] in order for it to all fit on the small seal. Now by just looking at your picture, and from what can be easily seen, we have "ORE". Now surely if this is the abbreviation for a king, then this could only fit in with George 1st! And if I am not mistaken, there is a "X" after the letter "E" so I'm sure it must say "[G]ORE[X]" for King George. So they paid a Farthing in taxation, read this, from UKDFD "The ’Alnage’ was a tax levied on cloth, and the purpose of the alnage seal was to provide evidence that the tax had been paid and the cloth was legally saleable. The seals were applied by officials (’Alnagers’) appointed by the government to oversee the process."

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 10:21:55 AM »

this is the earliest i got 1500-1650

* HESH-8D5246(1) (Copy).JPG (57.71 KB, 800x340 - viewed 540 times.)

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 08:38:55 PM »

Hey Chef, nice find by the way. Not that I know anything about these things, but after browsing around, my conclusion would be that this one is from George 1st. I say this for the following reasons. First it seems they kept the orientation of monarchs the same as that of coins. Now there is a taxation mark applied to the seal, which was abolished in 1724, so from this we can work backwards and say this could be George 1st, William 3rd or Charles 2nd. Also it seems they abbreviated the legends of monarchs in most cases (when applied of course!) [Anne is a verry good example, normally it is "AN"] in order for it to all fit on the small seal. Now by just looking at your picture, and from what can be easily seen, we have "ORE". Now surely if this is the abbreviation for a king, then this could only fit in with George 1st! And if I am not mistaken, there is a "X" after the letter "E" so I'm sure it must say "[G]ORE[X]" for King George. So they paid a Farthing in taxation, read this, from UKDFD "The ’Alnage’ was a tax levied on cloth, and the purpose of the alnage seal was to provide evidence that the tax had been paid and the cloth was legally saleable. The seals were applied by officials (’Alnagers’) appointed by the government to oversee the process."

Nice detective work Jon, but the problem is, the bust is not George I!
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 09:15:50 PM »

Well if I had to go by " most looks like" then I would have to say Charles II is the best candidate given the size of the nose and the Habsburg lip.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 09:22:08 PM »

Is he one of ours ?? he looks very Grecian.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 10:14:32 PM »

I've just had an update from Stuart Elton, the Bag Seal king!

As follows:

The inscription is OF ENG LAND and the bust could be Charles II or William III as you say or even James II - http://www.bagseals.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=12540 as a similar portrait was used for all three!

Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 10:46:49 PM »

Well found Geoff, it's amazing how much info can be gathered from something so small

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 10:55:24 PM »

Especially if you can wait 4 years   Roll Eyes Grin

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 12:04:50 AM »

Good God Peter talk about a dog with a bone that was 4 years ago lol, well done you and thank you Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal