Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Guns found in Somerset!  (Read 4772 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« on: February 24, 2015, 09:45:23 AM »

Who says you never find anything with a magnet?

Teenage metal detector trawling Somerset river stumbles across hidden cache of 40 'IRA' weapons - including 'Widow Maker' rifle and Nazi machine gun

By JIM NORTON FOR THE DAILY MAIL
Trawling through the water with a magnet, schoolboy James Cork had only expected a modest haul of scrap metal.
But, last week, the 16-year-old from Somerset stumbled across a rather more shocking discovery – a hidden cache of 40 deadly weapons.
The arsenal of rusting and grubby guns dating back to the Second World War included a Browning .50 machine gun, which could take down a helicopter, and an M16 assault rifle.
An expert has suggested the guns may have belonged to the IRA and could have been dumped when they were meant to be declaring their arms in 2001.

The teenager from Street had taken up the unusual hobby of magnet fishing six months ago, but had only managed to salvage the odd bit of scrap metal.
But while combing Greylake on the Somerset Levels with a rope and a strong magnet tied to the end, he and a friend suddenly came across a 40-strong haul of terrifying weapons
Among them were parts of a Nazi MG 42 light machine gun, which has a 600m killing range, and a Czech SA23 9mm submachine gun.
He told The Sun: ‘I was shocked. I’ve never found anything like this before. There were a few whole weapons, but not many. Some were machine guns, pistols and revolvers. And there was a massive machine gun on a stand.
‘There was a fisherman getting quite angry as I was disturbing the water. But when he saw what I pulled out, he came and helped.’
Though he threw most back into the water, he took one of the guns – thought to be a 1930s Smith & Wesson .38 - home to play with.
However when his mum Katherine saw him playing with the gun, she called 999 and an armed police arrived minutes later.
The 37-year-old said: ‘Nothing illegal is allowed in the house.
‘But I didn’t think I’d be dealing with one of my kids holding a gun. I said, “Bring it downstairs, leave it in the kitchen and don’t touch it”.’

James Cook, 16, said he had 'never found anything like it before'. A fisherman helped the teenager pull the haul of weapons out of the water

Among the guns was an M16 Rifle dubbed the Widow Maker (top) by British troops fighting the IRA in Ulste

Police dredged the river the next day to recover the rest of the weapons.
A spokesman for Avon & Somerset Police said: ‘None of the weapons were complete, and they were extremely rusty and very old. All of the weapon parts have been or are being destroyed.’
An expert suggested that the weapons could have been used by the IRA during The Troubles and may have been dumped when Republicans were meant to be declaring their arms in 2001.
Former SAS sergeant and author Andy McNab, who served in Northern Ireland during 1979, said the weapons could have been used by the IRA during The Troubles.
He said: ‘This must be a terrorist bundle. That’s because there are weapons for various ranges — from close assassination ones to the Browning that could take out a helicopter or Land Rover.
‘A large machine gun barrel means it could be the IRA. Were they included when they declared their arms? Or were they held back in case they didn't get a deal they wanted?’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2966075/Teenage-metal-detector-trawling-river-stumbles-hidden-cache-40-IRA-weapons-including-Widow-Maker-rifle-Nazi-machine-gun.html#ixzz3SecOmPAx
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:56:54 AM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 09:55:21 AM »

Glad it wasn't me.  Day for him to remember though,  beat that eh !  I can just imagine his poor Moms face when she saw him playing with a gun.

Interesting point,  why should that lot be called a 'cache' and not a hoard. ?

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 10:03:42 AM »

A future detectorist's there I think Wink what an unusual haul, should make a nice display for him if he can keep them Huh after disarming and making safe, or will they be confiscated Geoff Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 10:14:11 AM »

They will probably of been cleaned to see if they can get any ballistic info from them, barrel to bullet markings, that they can check with forensic records of armed crimes but then no doubt destroyed. With modern machinery there isn't really any good way to decommission a weapon other than destroy it Undecided
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 05:00:16 PM »

They were probably supplied by Libya as Gadffi supported and trained the I.R.A.cells in his own country back in 1970s..
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 10:29:36 PM »

They will probably of been cleaned to see if they can get any ballistic info from them, barrel to bullet markings, that they can check with forensic records of armed crimes but then no doubt destroyed. With modern machinery there isn't really any good way to decommission a weapon other than destroy it Undecided

Good point, it will be interesting to see what come of it Wink
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 01:15:10 AM »

Thats definitely something to tell his future grandchildren

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 02:46:25 PM »

Glad it wasn't me.  Day for him to remember though,  beat that eh !  I can just imagine his poor Moms face when she saw him playing with a gun.

Interesting point,  why should that lot be called a 'cache' and not a hoard. ?

Val

You are still a catch Val ...a real treasure lol Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal