Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: WANTED!!! Minelab Safari NiMH Rechargeable Battery and Charger  (Read 12759 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 09:53:18 PM »

What does a £2 coin in at on the safari?
roughneck

T2 SE

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 10:11:43 PM »

Hi Chef
Used my Safari for the first time today.  Found an assortment of finds on a farm near medieval castle.  16 musket balls, lead weights, buttons, 1 hammered (photo tomorrow for ID.) 1929 florin, 1930 half crown, 1942 sixpence, a grotty George, 2 Vicky pennies, bag seal, loads of lead bits and pieces, 1 artefact (candle base perhaps) loads of other bits and pieces.  Signals everywhere but need to learn more about the Safari and settings before I start digging only decent signals.
No £2 coins but will try one tomorrow on test whilst out on a farm with old court house and castle.  Lots of great sites with loads of potential but don't seem to find anything special.  Perhaps expectations a too high.  Tom
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 10:30:04 PM »

Thats what I do Val, but I don't find the Safari noisy at all ?

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2015, 10:32:38 PM »

I've not found a £2 Geoff. I don't think I've ever had that much money. If anybody would like to send me a handful of them,
then I'll give them a try. Huh

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2015, 10:39:10 PM »

That sounds like a great site roughneck and a good days detecting by any ones standards Wink
The reason I ask Dylan is that the £2 comes in in the same region on the Etrac/Explorers as would the signal from "wrap-around" also crowns are there too but granted there aren't too many of those in the soil to be found Undecided
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2015, 11:13:02 PM »

Ah I see Geoff, as you say you don't hear of  many crowns being found, do you reckon theres any reason for this, or is it not so many were lost due to their size or value?

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2015, 11:17:58 PM »

I think in the same way as gold coins they weren't "normal" money they were only used for large purchases ie property, livestock etc and so weren't carried around that much but my point is if you disc out 40 are you in danger of missing £2 and big silver Huh
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 10:11:43 AM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Detectski

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 10:51:44 AM »

When I bought my Safari it came with a rechargeable battery + charger and a battery pack you can fit Alkaline AA's in.

I quickly found out the rechargeable pack was a bit old and knackered because it wouldn't last for the duration of one of my typical detecting outings.

I bought 8 x Sanyo eneloops (rechargeable AA's with low self discharge) and fitted a charging socket to the alkaline battery pack. This modified pack is great, it lasts for 3 or 4 outings and I can charge it with the original Minelab charger. This solved the problem for me without any great expense.  Wink

I still have the original rechargeable pack and plan to replace the cells at some point to make another spare battery, this will probably be a bit more difficult than the last one because the cells are tabbed type and you don't have the sprung contacts present in the Alkaline pack so using standard AA rechargeables like eneloops isn't an option. 

If you wanted a really simple solution to fix your problem, you could buy one of the alkaline packs and just use 8 x rechargeable AA's in it. Although bear in mind if you don't fit a charging socket you'd have to take the 8 cells out and put them in a charger each time...

Hope that helps.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 02:06:43 PM »

Good point; I am presently planning on buying a set of rechargeable cells to use in the battery pack that came with my purchase. The Sanyo Enloop batteries are well spoken of.

To get in a little more practice with the Safari; I spent yesterday morning on the beach just to see if I would be able to winkle out a few coins from in between all the WWII scrap.  Having set the detector on coin mode and sensitivity at 20, I started detecting at first light and continued through to lunch time. I got all the usual WWII projectiles and copper 50 cal shrapnel plus eight coins. Not going to get rich but managed a George IV halfpenny, an old decimal 5p, a new decimal 10p, two thruppeny bits, a 2p decimal coin, a £1 coin, and a halfpenny sized copper coin that I can't yet id.

The Safari worked well on the dry sand and was very stable, with no false signals. I am guessing that I have been sweeping the coil to fast in the past and noticed an improvement as I slowed down my sweep speed and tried to keep the speed constant. The deepest target recovered was a thrupenny bit at approximately 14" in dry sand. 50 cal copper jacketed projectiles came up at 38/39 on readings scale and .303 cartridges gave a 37/38 reading.

I reckon that this machine is going to sniff out a lot more older coins from my regular beach and it will continue to surprise me with it's performance on the beach.  Wink

* February 8th practice.jpg (182.95 KB, 620x438 - viewed 695 times.)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 02:47:33 PM by Resurgam » Logged

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
bristolminelab
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 03:54:52 PM »

£2 coins come in round 36 same for Vicky full crowns, silver bracelets 38 same as big copper coins. I always run flatout with no discrim so there is no nulling of the detector in between signals  Smiley
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 04:19:28 PM »

£2 coins come in round 36 same for Vicky full crowns, silver bracelets 38 same as big copper coins. I always run flatout with no discrim so there is no nulling of the detector in between signals  Smiley

Thanks BM
Running wide open is always the best way with Minelab FBS so well done you and ironically the more iron you have on a site the less disc you can successfully use, yes that 38 sounds a bit to close for comfort to me to disc 40 Undecided
bristolminelab
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2015, 04:24:54 PM »

Thanks BM
Running wide open is always the best way with Minelab FBS so well done you and ironically the more iron you have on a site the less disc you can successfully use, yes that 38 sounds a bit to close for comfort to me to disc 40 Undecided
did try a big pile of silvers and came in at 39 so defo would not discrim out 40 as a hoard of silver may well be that,
Doug

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 04:57:44 PM »

£2 coin comes in @ 38 in the'All Metal' mode with the only adjustment being 'Low Trash'.
roughneck

T2 SE

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2015, 01:13:14 PM »

Hi Detetski,
can you explain how you fitted a charger socket to the alkaline pod please?
I am also looking at those Eneloop rechargeable AA's, I notice there's a few types with differing amp hrs.  eg 1900, 2400 etc.  Any suggestions as to the most suitable?
Went out last Saturday and Sunday on a new set of Duracells and they ran out on me towards the end of the second day.  cheers.  Tom
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2015, 01:31:14 PM »

Here you go Roughneck this is a video that one of the members, johnus maximus, made a while back that shows you how it's done Wink

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:34:23 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal