Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Four hours with the Safari  (Read 2490 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« on: January 28, 2015, 08:56:50 PM »

Well, with weather having been a little drier in our area, I decided to give R2D2 an other outing and see if I could make some sense of what it was telling me.

Having had some time to drain some of the surface water from one of my permissions it was time to give it an other going over. There is one section that measures about 100 yards by 25 yards and I have given that area a real good going over with the EuroAce / Nel Tornado coil combination and it was going to be interesting to see what the Safari would find there.

Having set the Safari on all metals conductive and sensitivity on auto, I set about sweeping low and slow. Three hours later, and loads of coinslaw in the bag, I decided to give up and meander back to the car. Despite being discouraged, I flipped the Safari onto coin mode and decided to only dig signals in the thirties. Ok, I missed those dozens of hammies that are hiding there but at least I didn't go home empty handed. Three hours on all metals conductive produced a small piece of copper/brass imprinted with a sailing ship, one chopped 20p piece, and a small buckle. One hour meandering back to the car with the Safari in coin mode produced £1 decimal, 1 X 2p, 3 X 1p, a threepenny bit, a ship halfpenny, and a number of bits of scrap. 

* New day.jpg (220.01 KB, 405x593 - viewed 236 times.)

* New day 2.jpg (174.35 KB, 594x412 - viewed 242 times.)

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 09:54:13 PM »

Yes but just think what you could have found if you had "meandered" in conductive Smiley you've got a clock clasp by the looks Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 10:46:15 PM »

Jeez, those old guys were careless with their pocket watches; I now have bits from four different pocket watches from four different fields that are miles apart. One piece even looks like it has a bullet hole in it! I just hope the guy wasn't wearing it when it was struck by the projectile.  Shocked

* Plugged.jpg (164.98 KB, 591x409 - viewed 1656 times.)

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 11:51:55 PM »

Well I s'pose it was an interesting experiment, only digging 30's. in conductive. Surprising the different metals that register anything but what they are.
All part of the learning curve Chris.  Playing wit the settings is the best way to get used to what is what. Another 6 months and you'll be fluent in the language. Grin

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 08:23:17 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement Val; I was totally miffed by all the can slaw that came up in the first three hours as possibly decent audio targets ( low and mixed tones ). I ignored the numbers and tried to go by the low or mixed tones. Gona get myself some more practice this coming Sunday and try the beach again.

Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 11:20:05 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement Val; I was totally miffed by all the can slaw that came up in the first three hours as possibly decent audio targets ( low and mixed tones ). I ignored the numbers and tried to go by the low or mixed tones. Gona get myself some more practice this coming Sunday and try the beach again.
take some goggles with you Sunday Chris, it's like a Saharan sand storm down there today !
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 06:12:57 PM »

Thanks Chris; it can be real nasty down there when the wind blasts the dry sand along that beach. Having said that, I have noticed that the wind sometimes reveals coins that have been hiding in the sand.

Richie sixpence

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 10:26:18 AM »

Hi Chris good luck on Sunday my friend will await your report from the day  Smiley

All the best Richie sixpence Wink

"All that glitters is not gold" but hopefully!!!
Garrett AT Pro
C Scope CS4pi
Garrett Ace 150
Garrett Pro Pointer
And hopefully a lot of good luck
Member of, NCMD
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 03:24:05 PM »

Hi Richie,
                 sadly, Sunday is now off and I have been drafted in for assisting the poopy nappy
 brigade at our daughters place. Not to worry, I will perhaps get to the beach when the weather is better and the tides provide for more time to detect down to the low water line.  Roll Eyes

Richie sixpence

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 07:04:30 PM »

Sorry to hear that Chris I should imagine it will be very cold down the beach anyway not the best for detecting. 

All the best Richie sixpence Wink

"All that glitters is not gold" but hopefully!!!
Garrett AT Pro
C Scope CS4pi
Garrett Ace 150
Garrett Pro Pointer
And hopefully a lot of good luck
Member of, NCMD

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal