Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reporting of finds.  (Read 9503 times)
Youngsmiler
Rally attendee

« on: February 17, 2014, 01:52:40 PM »

Do you report all finds ?.

Or is it just treasure, or what you think may be treasure ?.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 02:18:16 PM »

Voluntarily... all items you suspect of being over 300 years, if you're unsure then show your FLO and let them decide
Legally... you have to report all treasure finds the definitions of which are here;

The following finds are Treasure under the Act, if found
after 24 September 1997 (or, in the case of category 2,
if found after 1 January 2003):
1.Any metallic object, other than a coin, provided that at least 10 per cent by weight of metal is precious metal (that is, gold or silver) and that it is at least 300 years old when found. If the object is of prehistoric date it will be  treasure provided any part of it is precious metal.
2.Any group of two or more metallic objects of any composition of prehistoric date that come from the same find.
3.All coins from the same find provided they are at least 300 years old when found (but if the coins contain less  than 10 per cent of gold or silver there must be at least ten of them). Only the following groups of coins will  normally be regarded as coming from the same find:
• hoards that have been deliberately hidden
• smaller groups of coins,such as the contents of purses, that may have been dropped or lost
• votive or ritual deposits.
4.Any object, whatever it is made of, that is part of the same find as another object that is Treasure.An object or coin is part of the ‘same find’ as another
object or coin if it is found in the same place as, or had previously been together with,the other object.
Finds may have become scattered since they were originally deposited in the ground.
5.Any object that would previously have been Treasure Trove, but does not fall within the specific categories given above. Only objects that are less than 300 years old, that are made substantially of gold or silver, that have been deliberately hidden with the intention of recovery and whose owners or heirs are unknown will come into this category.
THE TREASURE ACT 1996:
INFORMATION FOR FINDERS OF TREASURE
Under the Treasure Act 1996 there is a legal obligation to report all finds of Treasure: this leaflet provides a summary of the main points of the Act. We strongly recommend that all other archaeological finds are reported to the Portable Antiquities Scheme (see page 2 onwards) but this is completely voluntary.
The Treasure Act 1996 replaced the common law of Treasure Trove in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and was extended on 1 January 2003.THE TREASURE ACT 1996 | 13
 Wink
Youngsmiler
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 02:30:36 PM »

Yes been going over the treasure act definitions of late.

Ok cheers Geoff.

jayhay69
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 02:57:14 PM »

who do you get intouch with if you know someones got something they should declare?

1 x Gold Guinea
1 x Gold posy ring
8 x Roman coins
2 x Roman Brooch
2 x Silver Denari
6 x Hammered
3 x Silver Milled
1 x silver thimble

Caius Vipsanius Ursus
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 02:59:56 PM »

who do you get intouch with if you know someones got something they should declare?

FLO.  I'm sure they know where to take it from there.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
jayhay69
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 03:01:14 PM »

i told them they said police but i know police wont do anything,

1 x Gold Guinea
1 x Gold posy ring
8 x Roman coins
2 x Roman Brooch
2 x Silver Denari
6 x Hammered
3 x Silver Milled
1 x silver thimble

Caius Vipsanius Ursus
Techony

Research - Recover - Record

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 06:56:36 PM »

i told them they said police but i know police wont do anything,

Might be worth trying anyway Huh http://www.detectingwales.com/index.php?topic=20213.msg185218;topicseen#new

NARC.org.uk                "You can have my Deus when you prise it from my cold dead hand"
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 07:07:57 PM »

send an email to your FLO, with pictures of the find and as much information as you can about the area you found it, the landowners name, GPS findspot if poss, etc etc  and await their reply.

you have then met the obligation of reporting a find.

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Macsen Wledig
Rally attendee

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 03:06:04 PM »

Be very careful when you hand your finds in for identifying and recording. As a responsible detectorist I reported my finds and told the Archaeologist there was a major settlement that needed investigation . When the time came for me to pick up my finds, three of the choice Roman silver coins were missing . Apparently an archaeologist had been spotted selling artefacts on EBay. But it gets worse , the way I was treated when they finally decided to carry out an archaeological dig on the site was disgusting . A major Roman settlement was found and guess what , is my name associated with it , a big NoNoNo 😠
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 03:27:47 PM »

we are talking about your local FLO so what archaeologist ? have you got his ebay name? How in gods name did you know there was a "major settlement that needed investigation"? and why did you want your name associated with it?
Macsen Wledig
Rally attendee

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 03:53:42 PM »

I was told by by the trust that this archaeologist had been found out and that he was responsible for my finds going missing. How did I know there was a big settlement there , I'll tell you how by its location and the amount of finds that were made . There is something you archaeologist need to know , just because were detectorists and haven't been to University doesn't mean were stupid. Why shouldn't I have my name associated with the site in question if I hadn't reported my finds and persuaded them to carry out a dig it would never had been found.

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 04:02:49 PM »

Well thanks for "assuming" that I'm an archaeologist but I'm sorry to say I'm just a detectorist the same as everyone else on here, no reason that you shouldn't  I just find it strange that you thought it should that's all. It sounds as if your coins should have gone for TT but hey what do I know but it's a good example of why to deal with your FLO and not the county archaeologist Wink
Macsen Wledig
Rally attendee

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 04:26:29 PM »

My finds did go to the Flo who never locked them away and just left them on top of her desk for everyone to see. It took me Ten years to persuade them to carry out a geological survey of the site . I even told them to survey the fields across the road where I never had permission to detect because I had a feeling it carried on over there . When they did surveyed both sides they were shocked how big the Roman settlement was.
Macsen Wledig
Rally attendee

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 04:32:08 PM »

Sorry about assuming you were a Archaeologist , I've promoted you and you never even had to pay the tuition fees . Lol  Cheesy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal