Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: mad cows!!!why?  (Read 3734 times)
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« on: January 23, 2015, 06:26:32 PM »

High to you all,I was recently reading on the forum about the agresive nature of cows.I remember "as a lad" walking across the fields along with a lot of cows"herds",I took no notice of them and they took no notice of me,and that always seemed to be the case,until a few years ago,when things started to change regarding their temperments.Well Pepe's,do you recall that dreadful outbreak of "mad cows disease", that was initiated by feeding the cattle " OFFAL",cows etc are vegetarians,they are not biologically capable of digesting processed offal,and in my opinion changed the mental attitude of these beasts,"falling over,!and turning a once placid animal into the angry and aggressive beasts they have now  become,Blame the BL!!!Y stupid scientists,They may have had a good education ,BUT,it sure don't make em intelligent.
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 07:17:40 PM »

Herd of cows, of course I've heared of cows BOOM BOOM Grin and as for cows being Offal, I think that they're rather nice Roll Eyes. But as
you said I got chased by some cows last year.

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 11:17:47 PM »

I had a near miss few months back detecting in pasture with some cows, as a rule I'm not bothered with cows really there just nosy, but this particular time they were starting run around me in circles and grunting. I cud feel the vibration off them in the ground. So I retreated quickly spoke to farmer about them he replied there just protecting there young there alright.  Anyway few weeks ago spoke to the farmers brother only to hear he had been knocked out by one of said cows and trampled him he making a good recovery now but has no idea what happened.

troutmasterfunk

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 10:59:01 AM »

Keep n eye on any animal your in a field with...
One headphone cup on one off I do gives you some notice if you are going t have any trouble...
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 12:47:10 PM »

There are some common sense rules everyone should follow.  It's all right for the Farmer to say they're O.K. but he does a lot of things automatically that we don't even think about. Like the old saying goes 'familiarity breeds contempt'.
Never chance going in a field full of cows with youngsters.  If they see you as a threat they will kill to protect their young. A local Farmer nearly got killed a couple of years ago bringing the herd in. He said after that the only thing he could remember was a calf behind him made a funny noise and next thing the Mother was all over him. Put him in Hospital for 6 weeks but he was never the same again after. Now he was brought up on a beef farm. Bulls, of course, we all should respect. They have the future of the herd in mind and their territory.
Even sheep can be aggressive. It surprised me on one outing. I noticed there were a couple who didn't move as they saw me. I stopped and just looked at them. Then came the warnings. 1st they snort at you, 2nd they stamp a front foot, 3rd they take a step or two towards you. Time to retreat, the charge comes next. Don't try this with Tups.
Horses, in general are just nosey but beware the back end, some are kickers and they don't usually wear their red ribbon in the field. Very occasionally one will be territorial but they are few and far between.
Be safe out there, be on your guard.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 01:18:19 PM »

Very true Val most farmers will tell you that you have to be wary around mother and calf and always keep them in front of you heifers and bullocks tend to be boisterous more than anything else but "stay big" and they usually won't take the chance and eventually get board, but the easy and safest way is to stay out of fields with animals your not comfortable with, the fields are there all year the cows aren't Wink
Sheep getting aggressive well that's Dylans fault Grin
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 03:06:14 PM »

Ha Ha Ha Geoff.   STAY BIG   That was the only thing going through my mind last year when the Farmer let out 30  young heifers into the field I was in.
One of those occasions I really wished someone had been there with a camera. It must have looked hilarious. Just picture it.
Me walking as fast as my little legs would go with my detector in one hand stretched out and mu spade in the other stretched out.  30 1st time out heifers galloping towards me with one thing in mind.......food. Shocked

Needless to say the Farmer thought it was the funniest thing he'd seen in years. Roll Eyes

I must admit though, even when I was completely surrounded, not one of them so much as touched me. But I'm still not totally convinced. Undecided

Val

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 03:17:14 PM »

p.s.  I wont ask why it's Dylans fault. Roll Eyes

Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 08:23:09 PM »

I heared that Geoff  Grin Grin Grin, and it was just a rumour, ask BAArbara and MEEElanie they'll tell you

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 09:07:52 PM »

Isn't it true that since Mad Cow disease then cattle have to be slaughtered young - so the proportion of 'teenagers' to more sensible older cows has increased.......I've not been to worried about the cows on the farm I go to - although they do seem quite frisky with each other - I just make sure I'm careful as they're a lot bigger than me...
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 09:15:19 PM »

Have a bull and a cow and calf, now that is a good combination, walk through the field with a dog,  Cheesy
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 09:17:22 PM »

Very wise probono.  I believe it's only the beef cattle that are slaughtered within 24 months.(??)  Dairy cows, on the other hand can carry on producing for much longer and, of course have to be put 'in calf' on a regular basis.

Val

bowman

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 09:30:42 PM »

Trouble with cows in these modern times is being caused by not being handled by the farmers  for milking or being chained  up in the cow sheds at night as years ago. The modern way to farm is similar to ranching in Australia. The animals in the fields and large cattle sheds are easily spooked by strangers entering sheds and fields. My advice is to keep as far away from them as possible and do not even think about taking a dog  on or off its lead into the fields with cows in.  Smiley
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 10:15:11 PM »

I have often detected in fields with sheep in them and as I moved slowly towards them they just moved off in the opposite direction. Until one day, whilst out detecting with the NWDD, I climbed a dry stone wall to move into an other field full of sheep and the whole population came running at me! Oops........climbed back over the wall ASAP!  Shocked

It turned out that the weather had been real bad and the sheep mistook me for someone that was coming to feed them.  Roll Eyes

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
nero
Rally attendee

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 12:02:43 PM »

I kept a few Angoras once.What they consider to be playing and having fun can be quite serious. (I'm talking about goats not rabbits.Lol.)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal