Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Permission and Insurance  (Read 3712 times)
The Saint
Rally attendee

« on: January 16, 2015, 12:53:05 PM »

Hi Eveyone
I'm fairly new to this and need some advice on how to approach landowners - I live in a farming area and want to ask the local
landowner- should I approach with proof of some type of liabiity insurance and membership of a detecting group? If so where
do I get proof of both - I'd like to create a portfolio (a bit like this is your life)     Grin  and give the landowner some guarantees -
do you ever get a signature as proof of your ability to detect on their land?

Help please....

Thank you
jayhay69
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 03:12:04 PM »

take your insurance,be polite,tell them your interested in the history in the area, tell them your a local family man, if you find anything take the finds to the farmer (not when he`s busy).. just be honest,polite and you cant go wrong good luck Smiley

1 x Gold Guinea
1 x Gold posy ring
8 x Roman coins
2 x Roman Brooch
2 x Silver Denari
6 x Hammered
3 x Silver Milled
1 x silver thimble

Caius Vipsanius Ursus
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 04:18:29 PM »

I agree with Jay, NCMD or FID good to join and get liability insurance as well as advice.  Out of all my farmers only1 has asked me to sign a contract, most do it by trust as it works both ways,I personally have never had any problems with out contracts despite having a few treasure finds declared as we share 50/50. Also be prepared for some refusals for permission and don't let that put you off. Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 04:41:35 PM »

Ask your friends and family if they know anyone who farms - all the places I have permission have come from such links (although I've also got quite a few of 'we never let anyone detect here', even from them.....but keep trying.
david995

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 05:00:28 PM »

I know it caused a stir  last time i said this , but both those insurances are a waste of space they cover you if you do something ,ie damage his bull or tractor

what the farmer wants to know is is he protected should he run you over with a tractor or a bull corners you or you fall under something or you have an accident on his land  , those insurances do not cover the farmer for any of those

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 11:14:09 AM »

I can honestly say that in 37 years of detecting no farmer has ever asked about insurance of any sort and I don't bring it up as it may only spark their imagination of what could happen.
David the farmer will always have his own public liability insurance for those occurrences and frankly if someone is stupid enough to detect in a field with a bull in it or get run over by 3 tons of brightly coloured and noisy machine then they really shouldn't be allowed out on their own.
david995

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 11:25:52 AM »

Hi geoff yes i agree,   all that i was just pointing out was that if a farmer does ask about insurance to cover him ,  the insurances mentioned are of no use to him at all

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 03:10:05 PM »

I agree with Geoff, coincidently last year one of my farmers needed my details, adress and phone number as she lost it and her insurance company needed the details of myself as I wonder the land and pigeon shooters and pest control lads.  Wink
jonty

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 08:46:45 PM »

One of the biggest problems a detectorist could come across is when he leaves a farm gate open and cattle stray onto a road or even a railway line. You could incur costs of £1000's per hour for train delays, plus damage to trains and livestock. Straying animals can cause the deaths of motorists, in which case costs are phenomenal, Maybe these are worst case scenarios, but I have worked on the rail and they do exist.

Moral: Close all gates and make sure you are insured.
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 09:11:15 PM »

Agreed Jonty, and as insurance with NCMD and FID is so cheap anyway,it's just not worth taking the risk

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal