Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: shovel???  (Read 2883 times)
bigwig
Rally attendee

« on: February 28, 2010, 07:30:21 PM »

Hi guys, I was wondering if I could draw on your expertise & experience and get your opinion on whether a Gelert Mini Folding Camping/Hiking Shovel (thinking of space as it will fold into pouch for belt) would be of use or would I be better with a standard mini round nose shovel?
Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 07:53:56 PM »

To be honest, their pants, I used one in an emergency and it broke straight away, also way too short, it will kill your back.
Get a proper one, stainless if you can stretch to it, nothing worse than your spade giving out on you on a rally (I know Embarrassed )
Salty Smiley

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
TheLoveDoc

Garret Ace 250 Minelab Safari

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 07:59:07 PM »

i had a folding army one mate but on trying to retrieve a coin in rocky ground i bend the bugger right over....no good if you ask me mate,,,, the one i use now is a draper one i got off ebay for about 8 quid i think....its only a mini one mate but it really is the bees knees....  Wink

1 Gold ring - returned to owner.
1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
waltonbasinman
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 08:00:22 PM »

Good question Bigwig. Personally I have noticed that most detecting shovels are what the local detector store is pushing at the time. I have a Spear and Jackson rabbiting Spade from a major farm supplies store slim but long blade. Ideal for small holes but everyone seems to have a Draper mini at the moment until the next one comes along.  Get what you feel comfortable with and enjoy your day is what it is all about. Picture below just grind a sharper edge to the blade. Cracking piece of kit.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 10:17:38 AM by Waltonbasinman (Paul) » Logged
TheLoveDoc

Garret Ace 250 Minelab Safari

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 08:03:15 PM »

another reason i use the mini draper mate is it fits lovely inside a rucksack  Wink

1 Gold ring - returned to owner.
1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
zorro
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 08:03:27 PM »

Agree with karl there bigwig dont waste your money. B&Q border spade will do and cut a sharper point to it with a grinder ...job done.
They were selling a short handled round nosed spade last year with a lifetime garentee. i just put a hook shaped clip on the shaft and hang it from my belt...a hands free clip if you like
bigwig
Rally attendee

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 08:23:10 PM »

Cheers guys I thought the camping shovel may be a bit duff. I was thinking of getting a Silverline 675182 Mini Round Nose Shovel off amazon as it's only about a fiver?
Junkman

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 08:31:33 PM »

I use 3 spades for differing terrain.

A Black Ada with sharpened teeth - The 'Beast' designed for hacking though tree roots and use in heavy,stony, baked hard soil. It is the 'Thug' of my spade collection.

A Draper Mini Shovel - The Dwarf of spades and ideal for hoofing out loose, dry soil that has been ploughed/ tilled. - The Danny Devito of my spade collection

A 'Junior' spade - It is a spade of about 3/4 the scale of a full size border spade and designed for junior and small gardeners. It makes a perfect detecting spade as it is lighter and for me  (5' 11'') is perfectly proportioned for detecting work. Ideal for pasture as I can cut a perfectly clean square plug of turf without even bending down and then than carve and slice the turf to the target. - The Petite Femme fatal of my spade collection.

Teknetics T2 - C Scope R1 - Laser Trident 2 - Pinpoint Probe - Spade - Wellies
One man on a mission to find and record the history of our great nations last 60 years of discarded,useless metallic Junk. So far i'm doing really really well.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »

Black ADA all the way  for me , I'm too rough on most shovels , though this one has lasted me over a year

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Sexy Legs (Leighton)

Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 08:54:48 PM »

Hi, Bigwig. We were talking about good shovels not so long ago. In the builders yard of your local B and Q you should find a range of Roughneck shovels. I paid less than £9 for mine, which is small enough to carry easily and tough enough for pasture. IF they're still there, I suggest you check them out.

zorro
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 09:01:27 PM »

thats the one i use leighton. hook fixed to shaft with jubilee clips and hangs onto belt. sorted.
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »

as has been said bigwig....dont get a folding one...they are c**p.....get a mini draper ,or similar, about 30 inches long.......good luck...byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 11:42:08 PM »

I bought a Stainless steel spade with a an unbreakable fibre glass shaft 2/3 years ago from B & Q cost £10.00

Still going strong !

rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 10:03:30 PM »

I've had a few black Ada's and bent them all!! I've given a few bent ones away and still
have one or two there if anyone wants proof or wants to repair them!

I have a stainless steel spade specifically designed for detecting I bought years ago from
Leisure Promotions. Was pricey (I think it's even gone up in value) but I've always found
you get what you pay for.

I've lifted paving slabs with it and done all sorts of things to it and nothing seems to even damage
or break it. A cousin of mine gave up detecting and I had his stainless steel one which has an even
longer handle and smaller blade (ideal for parks) and this is every bit as good.

If you can afford it, go for the stainless steel.

Otherwise B&Q do a mini shovel for about £8.50 which is amazing for the price and ideal for
detecting. It's light and small and ideal if you have to walk a long way prior to detecting.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal