Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Right or Wrong?  (Read 68238 times)
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 07:03:47 PM »

I remember the fakes doing the rounds in the late 70's early 80's there used to be a coin and stamp shop on Cotham Hill in Bristol that had a little display of fakes under their glass counter but this was at a time that the Seaby catalogue had some listed at £30k and a few just marked as "unique" and at a time when dodgy dealing in metal detecting finds was more rife quite a few probably passed into private collections.
I think that until Ebay and the like bring in a ruling that all antiquities have to have either a PAS record sheet or a letter of authenticity from an "expert" (auctioneer etc) then people are going to try pass these copies as the real thing.

It sounds like there's a few dodge characters in Bristol Cheesy

I agree Geoff something needs to be done about it, its worth taking a Google its surprising how many fakes there are, some are made not to trick people like the WRL but it still does, but some are made for fooling and money gain..... I think hammered coins your pretty safe buying on eBay but Roman silver and Greek I wouldn't touch Wink     
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 12:21:09 PM »

There was a John penny on ebay a few weeks ago, which was a WRL coin with the WRL rubbed out - it made £111 - despite me telling the seller it wasn't genuine.........
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 12:30:12 PM »

Something that I've often wondered is just how many fakes are out there with the right metal, right amount of wear and just the right amount of imperfection to ever be found out, the answer would probably be frightening Undecided
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 03:50:06 PM »

with the quality of machinery available today , the skills and just greed anything can be copied , look what the Chinese do with fake morgan dollars etc , and what about the white £5 notes the Nazi's produced during the war years  Shocked Shocked scary stuff indeed

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2014, 04:16:49 PM »

Something that I've often wondered is just how many fakes are out there with the right metal, right amount of wear and just the right amount of imperfection to ever be found out, the answer would probably be frightening Undecided

Geoff look at pic two of the Bodvoc coin the gold looks the right colour for a Dobunni stater (pink ish) its thought the gold was mined from the Welsh hills that's why the coins got a rose gold colour to them due to the above average copper content, it may have more to do with the lighting.

Look at these 3 Durotriges staters all being sold by Saxbey coins, you can see casting bubbles in the fields, there all the same moulds, got same striking crack there just polished and photographed in a different ways, there going for £120+ all fakes and very easy to spot Undecided    

* untitled.png (41.76 KB, 180x157 - viewed 708 times.)

* kkkk.jpg (266.31 KB, 1600x1452 - viewed 689 times.)

* jjjj.jpg (162.76 KB, 930x768 - viewed 865 times.)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 04:18:55 PM by Dale » Logged
bristolminelab
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2014, 07:06:38 PM »

What is sickening with some of these dealers is they know what they are selling is a forgery Huh i had one of my customers question a silver peace dollar i was selling, i removed it straight away and grave it close scrutiny and research before putting it back on sale , lucky enough it was genuine  Smiley
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2014, 07:13:04 PM »

What is sickening with some of these dealers is they know what they are selling is a forgery Huh i had one of my customers question a silver peace dollar i was selling, i removed it straight away and grave it close scrutiny and research before putting it back on sale , lucky enough it was genuine  Smiley

I agree its wrong Angry

The thing is BM the coins above are some of the cheaper item he sales some of the fakes hits high 100's to 1000's
bristolminelab
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2014, 07:18:17 PM »

I agree its wrong Angry

The thing is BM the coins above are some of the cheaper item he sales some of the fakes hits high 100's to 1000's
the question that should be asked is how he acquire such coins does he have a source to these  dodgy coins Huh
bristolminelab
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 07:25:23 PM »

Did a bit of research online about him this guy should be behind bars!!!!!!
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2014, 07:28:08 PM »

Take a look at this site, just chose your category........ I hope the link works

www.forgerynetwork.com
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:35:24 PM by Dale » Logged
bristolminelab
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2014, 07:35:34 PM »

what a nightmare , what is real and what is fake that is being offered for sale Huh the only way to know for sure is to dig it up
david995

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2014, 07:44:59 PM »

how does it work with that internet company that will make any coin you want ?  do they mark them some how so they are supposed to be seen as copys ?

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2014, 07:46:56 PM »

Jeez, you can't trust anyone these days; counterfeit pound coins and counterfeit Celtic coins! I'm glad I'm not in the market for Celtics; I think I'll wait and find my own for free.  Grin Hopefully.  Wink

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2014, 09:22:39 PM »

The Bodvoc sold for £670 so others had the same thoughts about its authenticity, Celticspikey said he got £2500 for his 6 years ago.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2014, 09:55:35 PM »

Far to cheap Dale as you know, I guess the buyer will be returning it when he try's to get it authenticated, or sell it on  Grin for some other poor chump, to take a hit. Just for interest I will post a picture of mine tomorrow for interest.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal