Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Saxon hoard found WW  (Read 24134 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2015, 07:51:12 PM »

I hope the site is now excavated to give some of these answers, what I can't get out of my head is as you say Roland are there any later coins or is that an early bucket full with possibly later coins in another container close by Shocked
I doubt it will ever be known why it wasn't recovered though the place where it was found was owned by Earl Leofwin, Harold's youngest brother, who like Harold was killed at Hastings Huh
Actually if you think about it it's amazing that there aren't a lot more hoards from around 1066 Undecided
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2015, 07:57:59 PM »

And now in the press
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2893568/Amateur-treasure-hunter-finds-1-000-year-old-hoard-Anglo-Saxon-coins-worth-1million-buried-farmer-s-field.html
david995

« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2015, 07:59:12 PM »

There proberby are its just us detectorists are not finding them or we are finding some but not digging them

i know ive not carried on digging when a foot or so down and still getting a signal im assuming it a horse shoe or some farm impliment and usually thats what it will be , but had a change of tactics now

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2015, 08:28:08 PM »

I hope the site is now excavated to give some of these answers, what I can't get out of my head is as you say Roland are there any later coins or is that an early bucket full with possibly later coins in another container close by Shocked
I doubt it will ever be known why it wasn't recovered though the place where it was found was owned by Earl Leofwin, Harold's youngest brother, who like Harold was killed at Hastings Huh
Actually if you think about it it's amazing that there aren't a lot more hoards from around 1066 Undecided

Interesting additional information - it all helps to build a picture.

There have been numerous occasions where there have been multiple hoards in areas (a local one for instance is the three sully hoards - first found in 1895) - so you never know there might be another one - although sometimes it's a case of 'well this is a good place to bury a hoard' but in different eras.
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2015, 08:38:39 PM »

Looking at the photos, it looks as if they did a good job of the excavation, the first photos we seen it didn't look to good, cheers for the post Wink

I think its to do with the Viking raids, large amounts of silver was paid to the Vikings to keep peace. I read that any Scandinavian who could buy a boat and get a few men together were on their way across the North Sea. It was like charity! large hoards of this time has been found in Scandinavia... I watched a documentary about the Viking raids and it was said Aethelred II struck the hand of providence onto coins to send a message to the Viking raiders, but for the life of me I cannot remember what the message was Huh Cheesy

It will be interesting to get the full date range of the hoard and see what comes of it Wink
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2015, 08:43:40 PM »

What Viking raids in the middle of Buckinghamshire? lol
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2015, 08:51:41 PM »

Its surprising how far up stream the Viking ships went Cheesy......... It is a little in land.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2015, 01:04:55 PM »

Coming up on BBC WALES 1 o'clock news, a report on 1000 year old find worth £1 million.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2015, 06:43:52 PM »

With ref to "david999 comments I totally agree with what he said,yes we get a good signal and start to dig,dig,dig,propointer in and out the hole,ding,ding ding,still something there!!dig,dig,dig,propointer,so on and so forth,its going on in your head as David said," probably a horse shoe,maybe a bit off a plough!!can't be much!! "Can it ?". I have now learned from today,I bought a detector which cost me quite a lot of cash to detect buried metal,this detector tells me that there is buried metal beneath my feet then why do I give up,fill in the hole,stamp back down on the turf and walk away from WHAT!!!
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2015, 07:19:49 PM »

With ref to "david999 comments I totally agree with what he said,yes we get a good signal and start to dig,dig,dig,propointer in and out the hole,ding,ding ding,still something there!!dig,dig,dig,propointer,so on and so forth,its going on in your head as David said," probably a horse shoe,maybe a bit off a plough!!can't be much!! "Can it ?". I have now learned from today,I bought a detector which cost me quite a lot of cash to detect buried metal,this detector tells me that there is buried metal beneath my feet then why do I give up,fill in the hole,stamp back down on the turf and walk away from WHAT!!!

Because 999 out of 1000 it's going to be that horseshoe - two foot down.....
david995

« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2015, 07:31:47 PM »

I guess we are trying to balance out weather to spend that 20 mins digging that big hole 999 times to find that potential one  hoard or to spend all the extra time whilst not digging 999 holes detecting  lots  more area and finding lots of single item s..... we all have that choice to make

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2015, 11:00:40 AM »

The hoard seems to fall in datiing no later than 1050 and would not surprise me if it was Royal bullion pay of .The reason that coins were used in bullion (weight) hoards that each bit of silver can tested for silver value by a knife.The last Viking hoard found he had peck marks virtually on every coin..This will be interesting to see if a deal was done between Vikings and Saxons at about that time by the peck marks on coins ..
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2015, 11:43:57 AM »

The hoard seems to fall in datiing no later than 1050 and would not surprise me if it was Royal bullion pay of .The reason that coins were used in bullion (weight) hoards that each bit of silver can tested for silver value by a knife.The last Viking hoard found he had peck marks virtually on every coin..This will be interesting to see if a deal was done between Vikings and Saxons at about that time by the peck marks on coins ..

Rob was the last hoard a UK find? most are found peck marked in Scandinavia and the Balitc region, its surprising how many Saxon pennys gets sold on eBay peck marked
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2015, 11:44:34 AM »

We're going to have to wait and see on so many questions as if Cnut is the last king of the hoard then it can't date any later than 1035 with the last great Danegeld being paid in 1018, one thing that does give weight to your idea of it being a silver hoard rather than a coin hoard is that under the coin reforms of Edgar in 972 these coins (Ethelred and Cnut) wouldn't have been in circulation at the same time Huh
The manor does seem to have been a very wealthy one for its size, in 1066 it paid £6 tax for only 10 households which in 1066 speak is a massive amount but this hoard would still represent over three and a half  years of tax.
I think that archaeologically this hoard could be far more important than the Staffordshire hoard Wink
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2015, 11:51:34 AM »

Dale what I find intriguing with the peck marked coins is that OK you can't show anything by biting a silver coin so a knife is your only way it does give the impression that counterfeiting was rife but if so then where the hell are all the counterfeits Huh

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal